More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 17:05:41

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Taster's Choice
| | | |-+  Testers Wanted: Sims 2 Collection Creator
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Testers Wanted: Sims 2 Collection Creator  (Read 49941 times)
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

Esteemed Senator Emeritus

View Profile WWW
Testers Wanted: Sims 2 Collection Creator
« on: 2006 May 05, 03:16:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi everyone! A while back I asked for some opinions at N99 about a program I was thinking of making, a tool to make collections outside of the game. Well, I've been working on it off and on for about a month and a half now, and I finally have something I consider ready for public testing. Smiley

Here's a preview image: http://images.djssims.com/CollectionMaker.JPG

Once you try it, it will hopefully make a lot more sense. Smiley     

Basically, it can do all of this:

* Make new collections
* Edit existing collections
* Add objects to collections individually or batch add them by picking a folder
* Back up existing collections
* Change collections from Residential to Community and vice versa.

I did want to have walls and floors as options available for you to add to collections that way. However, there's something about the way the game references them that I can't figure out. I've asked around and no one seems to know, so I'm trying to contact someone specifically who does know, but they're rather elusive at this point so it's hard for me to catch them. (If anyone knows how the game references walls and floors in 3IDR files, please let me know! Smiley )

However, you should be able to continue to add things to collections you've made with the program in the game and then continue to edit them with the program. (If a collection does have walls and floors in it, the program will retain that information.)

Thanks in advance! Smiley

jfade

Get the program here: http://www.djssims.com/index.php?category=21

EDIT (7/12/06): To add newer links, update images and some of the info, blah blah blah.
« Last Edit: 2006 July 12, 20:53:31 by jfade » Logged

Nifty Sims hacks and programs at: DJS Sims
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
Re: Testers Wanted: Sims 2 Collection Creator
« Reply #1 on: 2006 May 05, 03:24:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I've been using this for awhile (Yay for Yahoo!!), and I've absolutely loved it.  I just tried the latest version, I made a bath collection of a folder and it worked perfectly.  Thanks so much for this.  Kiss
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 May 05, 03:31:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

umm..what's the difference between the installer and non installer versions? And if you are willing to have totally unawesome peoples test this for how idiot proof it is , well, here I am! Grin
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 May 05, 03:32:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some people encountered problems with the installer (though it works for most, so not sure there), so you can just unzip the Non-Installer version to a folder of its own on your desktop or wherever and it will work from there as well. Smiley

Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 May 05, 03:40:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pardon, my ignorance is showing, I thought it might have had something to do with clean installer, off to go play with this now...
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 May 05, 06:17:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whoa.  Let me test my understanding...if you make a collection Community or Residential, does that merely mean it will show up when you're on one type of lot versus the other, or does it mean everything in the collection is enabled for that type of lot?

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 May 05, 11:12:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...if you make a collection Community or Residential, does that merely mean it will show up when you're on one type of lot versus the other [...]
Correct Smiley, that's why the Maxis collections normally have two packages, one for residential items and the other for community items.

As for the program itself, I've tried the installer without problems, and I must say the program is pretty much straightforward and easy to use, even the provided icons were more that I could ask for Smiley Well done!

I still didn't examined the list entirely, but it seems that it contains the default Maxis objects only, so any custom object should be added using the "Choose object..." and the "Choose directory..." buttons, is that right?
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 May 05, 16:02:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As for the program itself, I've tried the installer without problems, and I must say the program is pretty much straightforward and easy to use, even the provided icons were more that I could ask for  Well done!
Thanks, but all the credit for the icons goes to JadeElliot, I'm glad she let me include them. Cheesy
I still didn't examined the list entirely, but it seems that it contains the default Maxis objects only, so any custom object should be added using the "Choose object..." and the "Choose directory..." buttons, is that right?
Basically, yeah, when you edit collections it won't show the names, though I am going to add something that will keep track of the names and GUIDs of things you add plus the GUIDs and names of maxis objects so that it will be able to give a name to things when you go to edit a collection so long as you've added them to a collection once before. But I'm not sure if I'll include that in this version before release or not, but at any rate, it'll be there eventually. Smiley

Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 May 05, 16:34:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: jfade
Basically, yeah, when you edit collections it won't show the names, though I am going to add something that will keep track of the names and GUIDs of things you add plus the GUIDs and names of maxis objects so that it will be able to give a name to things when you go to edit a collection so long as you've added them to a collection once before. But I'm not sure if I'll include that in this version before release or not, but at any rate, it'll be there eventually. Smiley
Considering that virtually all custom content comes with a TextList resource, it shouldn't be too difficult to extract or change the descriptions. Of course you decide what's in the program; in my opinion, that is a welcome addition Smiley.

However, I understand why the list should include only the standard Maxis objects, otherwise users with very large download folders Wink would suffer a delay while the program was scanning their downloads for the first time.

The ability to select package files and directories is great, and it even may encourage people to organize their downloads Grin

poisonsilvi
« Reply #9 on: 2006 May 08, 14:12:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I downloaded your programm yesterday and what shall i say - it´s working just great !!  Grin

I just wished i had found this 2 weeks earlier ..  Roll Eyes

Thank you so much for sharing  - love it !  Kiss
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 May 08, 14:22:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahh, but it wasn't released two weeks ago - you found it on the ground floor.  Grin
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2006 May 11, 00:10:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I added another build, this one adds a feature that was requested to sort the collections so that they show in alphabetical order in the game. Smiley After this, it's time for rewording of some things, and I'll release it! Thanks for the testing so far everyone! Smiley

americancindy
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 May 11, 07:14:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you so much for this!  Kiss It makes building and decorating so much more easier!  Kiss

Edited: When I hit the Alphabet button it takes about a minute than I get this error message:

When I hit the details button I see this:

Informationen über das Aufrufen von JIT-Debuggen
finden Sie am Ende dieser Meldung, anstatt in diesem Dialogfeld.

************** Ausnametext **************
System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Über das Ende des Streams hinaus konnte nicht gelesen werden.
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileSystem.FileGet(Int32 FileNumber, Byte& Value, Int64 RecordNumber)
   at Project1.frmMain.FindResource(String PackagePath)
   at Project1.frmMain.cmdAlphaSort_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Geladene Assemblys **************
mscorlib
    Assembly-Version: 1.0.5000.0
    Win32-Version: 1.1.4322.573
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Sims2CollectionMaker
    Assembly-Version: 1.0.2321.33381
    Win32-Version: 1.0.2321.33381
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Programme/Sims%202%20Collection%20Maker/Sims2CollectionMaker.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly-Version: 7.0.5000.0
    Win32-Version: 7.10.3052.4
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/microsoft.visualbasic/7.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/microsoft.visualbasic.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
System.DirectoryServices
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.directoryservices/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.directoryservices.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility
    Assembly-Version: 7.0.5000.0
    Win32-Version: 7.10.3077
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Programme/Sims%202%20Collection%20Maker/Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility.DLL
mscorlib.resources
    Win32-Version: 1.1.4322.535
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/mscorlib.resources/1.0.5000.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.resources.dll
System.Windows.Forms.resources
    Win32-Version: 1.1.4322.535
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms.resources/1.0.5000.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.resources.dll

************** JIT-Debuggen **************
Um das JIT-Debuggen (Just-In-Time) zu aktivieren, muss in der
Konfigurationsdatei der Anwendung oder des Computers
(machine.config) der jitDebugging-Wert im Abschnitt system.windows.forms festgelegt werden.
Die Anwendung muss mit aktiviertem Debuggen kompiliert werden.

Zum Beispiel:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

Wenn das JIT-Debuggen aktiviert ist, werden alle nicht behandelten
Ausnahmen an den JIT-Debugger gesendet, der auf dem
Computer registriert ist, und nicht von diesem Dialogfeld behandelt.

I have deinstalled and reinstalled your program to no avail. If I hit that ABC Button... error message..
I hope this can be fixed  Undecided
« Last Edit: 2006 May 11, 14:07:59 by americancindy » Logged
t r a c y
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2006 May 11, 14:06:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

this is a fantastic development, thank you so much !  i notice that collections i've made using the batch add feature end up with aprox. only 50% of the files showing.  these are all object files, not floors, walls,  hair, clothing etc. & the folders chosen did not have sub folders, so i can't figure out why all objects are not being added.

if you can't be a good example you'll just have to be a horrible warning
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2006 May 11, 14:44:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Will test this out later... it should be much easier for me to make collections using my nice organized downloads directory than it would be in the game.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2006 May 12, 11:14:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks everyone. Smiley

Tracy, if it can't find the object's GUID, the object will not be added. In my tests, it has picked up everything though, and hasn't had a problem. Try opening the files that aren't being picked up in the list in SimPE and see if they have an OBJD resource. If they do, they are objects and should be getting picked up (and I'd like a link to the site where you got them and, more specifically, the name of the file I'm looking for Smiley ) but if they don't, that's why it's not adding them. Smiley

americancindy, I was looking into this but I'm not sure what would cause this. If you don't mind, perhaps you could zip up your collections and email them to me so I can see which file is causing the problem, and why?

jfade#447@comcast.net (remove the # Sign)

Thanks in advance! Smiley

americancindy
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 May 12, 11:31:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just sent my collections folder to you.. Hopefully you will find out what is going on! Kiss
t r a c y
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2006 May 15, 02:32:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i don't use simpe for anything other than recategorizing clothing so i don't know my way around it much - but the objects that aren't showing in the collections are definitely objects,  they work in the game and they show in collections i make in-game, just not with your prog.  opening a sample of them in simpe they have object data, object function, guids, original guids & fallback guids etc etc.  there's so many of them that there's no way i can list them all for you & figure out what sites they came from - no time for that unfortunately.  some of cashcraft's victorian objects are no-shows.  those are from tsr. but it's not just hers, there's many others.   

jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2006 May 15, 11:24:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, so they don't show up when you used the batch add function, but if you try to add them individually, what happens? I'll check and make sure there's nothing wrong with the scanning thing, and if there is I'll fix it. Smiley

JenW
Irritating Ignoramus

Grilled cheese lovin' cyborg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2006 May 15, 12:49:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tested this out some this weekend...quite spiffy Smiley

Is there a way, though, to add Maxis objects to a collection with this tool? I'd like to group recolors as well as new objects. I tried pulling in some recolors to see if it would pick up what object it was a recolor in, but no go.

<Pescado> With ninja throwing breadsticks, YOU are the dipping sauce! | The Literate Sim
staroverthebay
Nitwitted Nuisance

¯\(º_o)/¯ lol wut?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2006 May 15, 19:13:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This looks awesome!

I was just wondering yesterday as I was playing the game (or rather, while I was idly waiting for the game to load an object onto a lot -- that arrow-into-an-hourglass thing gets really annoying after a while! Cheesy) if there was a way I'd be able to put, say, the hacked objects I've downloaded into a collection without going through EVERY SINGLE ONE IN THE GAME. Cuz sometimes I forget which one is which, and you have to actually CLICK on the thumbnail to get the description, to see if that's even what I'm looking for or not!

I shall test this out right away, but it looks like everyone's given it a thumbs up, so I don't anticipate any problems.

Thanks so much! This is teh awesomez!

¯\(º_o)/¯ I dunno lol
YOUNG AND STUPID.
Introverted, Sensing, Thinking and Perceiving. Conclusion: I IS TOILET PAPER!
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2006 May 15, 20:08:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tested this out some this weekend...quite spiffy Smiley

Is there a way, though, to add Maxis objects to a collection with this tool? I'd like to group recolors as well as new objects. I tried pulling in some recolors to see if it would pick up what object it was a recolor in, but no go.

Eventually, I'd like to have the ability to choose maxis objects based on a list of objects that is sortable by each expansion, but I'd have to get the GUID from each Maxis object, and that's something I don't have time to do right at this moment, but it is on my to do list. Smiley

I have other little improvements I want to make to the program as well, but I do want to at least get this first version out there, because it's been in testing for quite a while, and it does work. Plus, I'd like to get away from working on this for a bit and work on some other projects that have been on the backburner for a while.

But, in short, I will add that feature, yeah. Smiley

JenW
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2006 May 15, 20:13:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cool Smiley Even as it is, it's a great tool and very handy. Works great for me Smiley

<Pescado> With ninja throwing breadsticks, YOU are the dipping sauce! | The Literate Sim
t r a c y
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2006 May 16, 22:09:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yah, individually everything adde & showed up fine, but the batch was hit & miss - but it's working fine now, seems to be 100% perfect.  i figure it was my system, it was messy & i remembered windows crashed a few weeks ago & i hadn't bothered rebooting < / idiot > so i rebooted, did a big system clean up including the registry, defragged, then i deleted all my thumbnails & the groups.cache file.  when i made new collections this afternoon they turned out fine.

JenW
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2006 May 21, 21:03:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another question/suggestion. Is it possible to make it so you can select more than one item with the individual item button? For example, I wanted to add several new items to an existing collection, and it would have been a lot easier to select those five or six items at once than to click and browse five or six times. I ended up going the batch route and it didn't throw up, but I haven't checked to see if the collection is okay in the game yet.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: