More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 09:30:34

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Roof slope problem with OFB special roof tools...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Roof slope problem with OFB special roof tools...  (Read 4448 times)
SimSherry
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Roof slope problem with OFB special roof tools...
« on: 2006 May 02, 23:56:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Huh
Seems like any lot that I use one of the special OFB roofs, such as cone or octagonal, makes the entire roof jump to an extreme point upon re-entering the lot.  Like it goes from 45 degrees, to 90 degree angle.  I've seen on the Sims 2 BBS that I'm not the only one with that problem, but I knew I'd need to come here if I wanted some real input on this issue.  Anyone here having this problem, and is there a way to fix this without having to stop using those cool roof options?  Thanks in advance.
vaughje
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Roof slope problem with OFB special roof tools...
« Reply #1 on: 2006 May 03, 00:02:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did have this happen one time but I could never make it happen again.  I can't remember if I just deleted the roof or the entire lot, but since then I haven't had the problem.  But I've only used the OFB roofs a total of maybe 10 times so...

The End.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 May 03, 02:11:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I find it to be particularly pervasive with octagonal roofs, particularly when they touch your standard roof. If a standard roof touches an OFB-roof, you may get wonkiness.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
SimSherry
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 May 03, 06:00:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A-ha.  Makes sense, both lots that I keep experiencing this on have the OFB and regular roof touching a bit.  Wonder just how much space it takes to avoid this problem?  Build up a whole level, or maybe a shrunken (floor elevation) level would do?  Thanks for the info vaughje and Pescado, much appreciated.  Now I'll have to play around with this and see if I can make those lots work a bit better.
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 May 03, 06:30:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can never get the cone or octagon roofs to look quite right in my game..so I've given up on them most of the time.  I'm no help, I know.
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 May 03, 06:43:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

my roofs tend to jump up from where they should be leaving a large gap between the top of the wall and the bottom of the roof with the OFB roofs. I also can not seem to get them to sit on columns properly either yet...
jack_d_spratt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 May 03, 17:04:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you using the cFE cheat on walls anywhere near those octagonal roofs?

Roof sections generally depend on 2 points, a starting point that tells the roof where to start AND anchors their height, and an ending point that tells the roof where to end.  After establishing a roof section, you can change any wall height around it except that starting point.  If you change that starting point height, when you re-enter the lot the roof height will have changed.  The roof height will not change immediately, it will change after a save and re-enter.

I'm just starting to play with OFB, but those octagonal roofs follow different rules.  If any wall in their area is higher, it will make them change to the new height.  And "their area" seems to be square, not octagonal.  I assume (but have not checked) that if the octagonal roof is built on it's own level there is no problem.  Otherwise, all the walls near the octagonal roof all have to be the same height.

Once again, the roof changing height never happens immediately, it happens after a save and re-enter.

If you're not using the cFE cheat, I have no idea.

Edited for spelling.  My motto is: never proofread until after you submit.
« Last Edit: 2006 May 03, 17:10:34 by jack_d_spratt » Logged
Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 May 03, 17:18:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

does it help if you use roofslopeangle (insert number here)  after the house is built?

Someone sucks more than I do.
http://wytchieone.deviantart.com/gallery
Maria
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 May 04, 03:37:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

does it help if you use roofslopeangle (insert number here)  after the house is built?

It does, but only for a little while.  When you type it, the roof goes back to normal, but it will put itself back at a 90 degree angle again.  I guess after the next save?
SimSherry
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 May 04, 06:14:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you using the cFE cheat on walls anywhere near those octagonal roofs?

On the first house I didn't use the elevation cheat, but on the 2nd one I certainly did.  Thanks to all for the input.  You know, now that I think about it I actually may have used that cheat on the first house...
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 May 06, 02:44:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

my issue stems from bi-level roofs/houses, a regular roof on the second story and an ocatgonal roof on the first.
SimSherry
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 May 06, 03:20:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, so not only do the OFB roofs want their own level, they also want to be above all other roofs.  Sheesh!  Picky picky.

Thanks to the responses in this thread I was able to modify my latest tutorial on the official site.  I managed to modify the first lot, which is basically a starter home business lot with business on the first floor and studio apt style living on the 2nd.  I used a 1/4 high dummy level for the... well, I guess you'd call it a turret?  Then built another level on top of the dummy one and used the short cone roof on top.  The very edge of it just touches part of the standard hipped roof on the 2nd level, but so far the angle is staying put.  For the tutorial house I just added another level and topped it with the octagonal roof, and it also seems to be staying put, though I liked it better without the extra level.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: