More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 16, 09:54:48

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6518 Members
Latest Member: Willaemann
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Does ANYONE get a 'Got Mail' dialogue from checking email?!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Does ANYONE get a 'Got Mail' dialogue from checking email?!  (Read 4747 times)
ataribaby
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Does ANYONE get a 'Got Mail' dialogue from checking email?!
« on: 2006 May 01, 19:58:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just a quickie question... everytime a Sim checks their mail they get a 'Has no new email' message. Even when I've deliberately set up an email correpondance between two Sims on separate lots... sure enough when you load up the other Sim's lot and get them to check their mail - nothing! Roll Eyes

Is the whole email aspect of the game a red herring or what? It doesn't seem to even provide Fun/Socilal boosts so what's the bloody point? Huh
Ruann
Dimwitted Dunce

An overactive male imagination

View Profile WWW
Re: Does ANYONE get a 'Got Mail' dialogue from checking email?!
« Reply #1 on: 2006 May 01, 20:03:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Um...  The only time you get email is when you send email.  As in, say I'm playing Don Lothario and I have him email Dina Caliente.  He emails her, has a little thought bubble about whatever the hell subject he randomly chose to email her about, he finishes it and sends it.  I immediately make him check his email after and, voila!  He has email!

Dina, however, doesn't, because she never sent email in the first place.  The entire interaction took place on Don's lot.

Is it logical?  Not really.  But how else are you going to get an email reply from a Townie?
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 May 01, 20:28:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It wasn,t always like that though.  I remember I sent e-mail From Don to Dina and when I loaded Dina house, she check her e-mail she did receive an e-mail.

I haven't send e-mail in awhile so I have no idea how it works now with OFB.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 May 01, 20:32:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The way Ruann describes it is always how it's worked for me, since the base game.  I've never gotten email without first sending email.  Which is stupid seeing as one of their dumb autonomous actions is checking for email.  Roll Eyes
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 May 01, 21:01:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same for me as Blue and Ruann here.]

And that autonomous check email action makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes.  One night I was running the game in fast forward...an elder sim (who seem to be the worse about this) was somewhere on the lot checking email.  I started getting the so & so has no new email messages one after the other.  I'd cancel the sim from checking the email and seconds later they'd be right back at it over and over and over again.

Sims who are obsessed with email get their computers deleted Smiley
Wish I could do the same for some people lol
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 May 01, 21:36:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think Inge had a no autonomous email checking.  I can't find it right now.  I have it in my game, and no one checks email unless I tell them to.  Monique's computer makes email more useful.  You can send email to a bunch of Sims at once and receive like a +10 STR boost on each one.  I think it boosts social as well.
Ruann
Dimwitted Dunce

An overactive male imagination

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 May 01, 21:41:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, the default email boost is really really craptastic.  I think it's one or two points.  It's at least a little more reliable than "Chat With" on the computer, when the person you're chatting with will randomly sign off.   Roll Eyes  This way you're more or less guaranteed to get the boost.
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 May 01, 22:10:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think Inge had a no autonomous email checking.  I can't find it right now.
The reason you can't find it now is because you've got the wrong hack creator. It's actually a Pescado hack, available here.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 May 01, 22:13:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims who are obsessed with email get their computers deleted Smiley
Wish I could do the same for some people lol
E-Mail is like a prison. A prison with no walls. And no toilet!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 May 01, 22:59:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think Inge had a no autonomous email checking.  I can't find it right now.
The reason you can't find it now is because you've got the wrong hack creator. It's actually a Pescado hack, available here.
I was looking in my Downloads folder and I looked in Pescado's and Inge's folders.  I couldn't remember the name of it.  That's why I couldn't find it.  Tongue  I see it in Pescado's folder now that I know the name of it.  I do remember though that Pescado said he wasn't going to make any more hacks dealing with autonomous behavior because he says you should just turn off free will.  Inge made the one that keeps them from autonomously playing computer games.  That was the one that Pescado said he wasn't going to make.  I couldn't remember which one it was at first.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 May 01, 23:09:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bottom line: If you want your sims to engage in sane, non-idiotic behaviors, ditch "Free Will" and go with Macro Power Idle.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 May 01, 23:14:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yay for the Macros! 

And also for those who I haven't told yet, I talked to Pinstar a couple of days ago (creator of the Legacy Challenge) and he said that Macros is Legacy-legal, since it's not cheating.  Grin
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 May 02, 00:16:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yay!  I will keep that in mind if I ever do a Legacy Challenge.  Cheesy  I don't know that I will, but if I ever do, I will probably make up my own rules, and I won't be doing it to compete or keep score.  I like to play for fun.  If I want to do bookkeeping, I'll balance my checkbook.  Tongue
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: