More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 04:55:21

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  STILL confused about patches <scuffles feet in the dirt>
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: STILL confused about patches <scuffles feet in the dirt>  (Read 4800 times)
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
STILL confused about patches <scuffles feet in the dirt>
« on: 2006 May 16, 21:44:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sorry. I probably really shouldn't start another thread on this, but I'm still confused.

Up until NL, I bought all EPs and installed all patches as they came out. Then I got NL, installed patch 1, did not get the Holiday Pack at all :p, downloaded patch 2 and got distracted and didn't install it.

I thought OFB would update my game. I'm not sure it did. Then I also downloaded and failed to install the OFB patch, thinking what I really need to do is uninstall OFB and install the NL2 patch.

Now I broke down and bought the Family Fun thing (I want masks and nightgowns and that hidden carousel. 'sides it was way cheap and I'm a wimp.) Ok so I've downloaded the patch for it. But how do I need to do it.

On another board, it claims FF installs the OFB patch if you don't have it. Is that true?

Do I really need to uninstall OFB, install the NL2 patch and reinstall OFB? I don't wanna :p and won't that break my OFB game (which I dearly dearly love)? Can I (and should I) install the NL2 patch without uninstalling OFB?

If I skip the NL2 patch, should I install the OFB patch before I install Family Fun? Then Family Fun, then its patch?

Help?

Unsouper
Simlover
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile WWW
Re: STILL confused about patches <scuffles feet in the dirt>
« Reply #1 on: 2006 May 16, 22:44:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you are not having problems, I wouldn't be too worried. I have never bothered to patch NL or OFB and haven't had any real problems in my game.  That said I don't know I would have touched Family Fun Stuffup with a ten foot pole.

Axe murdered since 2006
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 May 16, 22:50:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL No wonder you're confused, I got confused just reading all that.

First, you don't need to uninstall any game to install a patch.  So if you want to install the NLp2 (and I would because that's where the terrain paints got fixed and I'm paranoid like that), then just install it.  It won't hurt your game.

Personally, I don't trust any game patches the previous (no matter what anyone else says) and it will never hurt to install a patch.  The worst that will happen is that it will tell you the game is already updated and won't install the patch, and then at least you know, right?

It sounds like you haven't installed FFS yet, so I would install the NLp2, then the OFBp1 and then install FFS, then that patch. 

Signed,

Paranoid in Simland.  Tongue
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 May 16, 22:53:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ooh, ok :) I like that. I think I'll feel much better if I have installed the patches (it seems to be preying on my nerves ;) and if I don't have to uninstall, then I'm ok with it.

And good point about 'at least I'll know' :)

Thanks Blue!

ETA: Thanks to you also Simlover. And I don't blame you for not touching FFS. I wouldn't suggest you touch, and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone buy it or anything crazy. But I'm a wimp :) And my Venetian Mask Shop really *needs* the carnival looking masks, and...

I'm a wimp <scuffle>

Unsouper
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 May 17, 17:14:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know, I want to get it just for the hidden trees.

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 May 17, 17:46:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Before you get it just for the trees, go to www.nectere.net/smf and you may have to register to see the Shrubbery section.  Wink  But you'll be happy.
laylei
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 May 17, 18:13:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ooh, ok Smiley I like that. I think I'll feel much better if I have installed the patches (it seems to be preying on my nerves Wink and if I don't have to uninstall, then I'm ok with it.

And good point about 'at least I'll know' Smiley

Thanks Blue!

ETA: Thanks to you also Simlover. And I don't blame you for not touching FFS. I wouldn't suggest you touch, and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone buy it or anything crazy. But I'm a wimp Smiley And my Venetian Mask Shop really *needs* the carnival looking masks, and...

I'm a wimp <scuffle>

I've had FFS installed for awhile now, with the Maxis patch, and haven't had a single problem with it, just for a positive record. Wink
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 May 17, 20:23:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This seems like a good place to ask...just the other day I thought I may be missing a patch, and I was wondering if I could check which patches I've installed? I don't know if I did NL2 or not.

I think when I hit 25 my brain got full. I can't remember bank account numbers or anything. If only I could get the "Facts of Lfe" theme song out...maybe dumping stuff from the 80's would make room for new stuff.  Tongue

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 May 17, 22:19:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Probably the easiest thing to do is install it again -- if it's already installed, the patch process will tell you and exit.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 May 19, 20:38:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well ok, so I installed the NL patch - which told me I might need to install the OFB patch since I already had that EP (no problem, I meant to do that anyway) - and it did install and claimed to have updated my game. So I'm firmly in Blue's court - OFB does not add everything the NL patch does.

So then I installed the OFB patch. No problem.

Then I installed the FFS pack. Also no problem. It did it's typical "checking to see if the game is up-to-date" thing and claimed it was. All good. Looked fine.

I quit without opening the game and tried to install the FFS P1. That says FFS did not install properly and I might need to uninstall and reinstall it. So I did (which dumped my whole downloads folder, but fine I have a backup) with the uninstaller. Installed again, all fine. Tried to run the patch. Same deal. So I thought maybe it's because I hadn't actually run the game with FFS. So I opened it, launches fine (and quick, no dls ;), opened a neighborhood, dropped a new house in from the bin and looked around in it. All fine. I don't see any problems at all. Quick and try to run the patch again and same deal - it says the FFS install is broken.

Dumb thing. Maybe the patch broke when I downloaded it. I'll try playing without it a bit and redownloading and installing. I'd really rather not go through some major complicated uninstall and reinstall of the game and all EPs and looking for all parts of the game hidden everywhere on the computer and get rid of them. Especially as we're playing on more'n one account, so it'd be a major hassle. :p I'm just going to assume the patch is broken...

Why can't they make stuff that works right?

Unsouper
LilAbner
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 May 21, 06:32:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I may be a total retard, but could somebody tell me how I uninstall the OFB or NL patches? Do I have to uninstall each expansion pack too, or how do I do it?
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 May 21, 21:55:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I may be a total retard, but could somebody tell me how I uninstall the OFB or NL patches? Do I have to uninstall each expansion pack too, or how do I do it?

There's no way to uninstall just the patch, since it really replaces a lot of game files.  The only way to do it is to uninstall the whole expansion pack.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 May 21, 23:32:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sagana,

Just a thought: maybe with all that installing/uninstalling the auto patch function got turned on and FFS automatically patched itself without you realizing it? So the patch trying to patch a patched version doesn't recognize itself...? Could that happen.....
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: