More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 19:59:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Sexual Preference Not Changed By Woo-Hooing?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Sexual Preference Not Changed By Woo-Hooing?  (Read 81391 times)
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
Re: Sexual Preference Not Changed By Woo-Hooing?
« Reply #175 on: 2005 September 01, 06:39:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rohina: May I ask if you would consider yourself genuine or not? I tend to agree that there are indeed some sad buggers out there who just need to interact with someone, but to behave as you did seems a little harsh. After all, if there's nowt to say, then don't say anything and tell 'em they're wasting their hardearned. Just my view, is all.

I have certainly had some experiences that I would describe as empathic, and one or two episodes of precognition. My grandmother used to work for the police in her town as a psychic, so if a psychic pedigree matters, I have one. (A lot of people think I am cold and unsympathetic and sarcastic, which is a perhaps a side effect of me often blocking emotions because I can get overwhelmed by strong emotion if I don't block it, or maybe I am just a sarcastic bitch). I am an excellent tarot reader; I used to used it when I was an academic counsellor because tarot is a great way to get people to talk about difficult emotional issues. I am often conflicted about my abilities, because I am also a highly educated person, and I know how to think critically, but I can't always dismiss my own experience, even if I can't prove it empirically.

The phone thing is a major rip-off. It's way more expensive than seeing a good tarot reader in person, and most of the people who phone will hang up if you tell them the truth about their issues. When you are paid by the minute, if you want to make money, you tell people what they want to hear to keep them on the phone.

Open invitiation: send me a message with a question (general or specific), and I'll read your cards for you. Any of you. But not till tomorrow afternoon because it *is* the first day of semester.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 2005 September 03, 08:31:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh, I'm not much for precognition myself, although I do have the ability to sense what are probably the bioelectric emanations given off by another person. It's rather useful in hostile situations with low visibility, since I can feel the enemy's presence before they know I'm there. As far as telling the future, though, I prefer statements like "Clouded, your future is not. Becoming shorter, perhaps.". I also happen to be rather fond of Chronomancy, the art of predicting the future by waiting to see what happens.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 2005 September 03, 14:25:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bioelectric emanations? You mean . . . like a shark? Eep.

Yoda/Reverse Polish Notation statements are good. As is Chronomancy, as a tool for annoying New Agers.

Tarot, and other fortune telling, is interesting, especially since even if you start with the assumption that the reader is reading their client, rather than the cards, it can still be useful, as Rohina said when she used it for academic counseling. I'm personally most interested in dreams; there are some interesting documented incidents, reported by professional dream researchers in a at least casually experimental setting, involving shared dreams.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 2005 September 03, 16:58:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also dreams which deal with something happening, and then you find out it has happened.

Zephyr Zodiac
laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

Fook me, it took long enough to get a title!

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 2005 September 04, 11:16:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as telling the future, though, I prefer statements like "Clouded, your future is not. Becoming shorter, perhaps.".

That one's obvious and cheating...Even I can manage to precog something when I've got a large gun shoved up my nostril.

I have certainly had some experiences that I would describe as empathic, and one or two episodes of precognition. My grandmother used to work for the police in her town as a psychic, so if a psychic pedigree matters, I have one. (A lot of people think I am cold and unsympathetic and sarcastic, which is a perhaps a side effect of me often blocking emotions because I can get overwhelmed by strong emotion if I don't block it, or maybe I am just a sarcastic bitch). I am an excellent tarot reader; I used to used it when I was an academic counsellor because tarot is a great way to get people to talk about difficult emotional issues. I am often conflicted about my abilities, because I am also a highly educated person, and I know how to think critically, but I can't always dismiss my own experience, even if I can't prove it empirically.

The phone thing is a major rip-off. It's way more expensive than seeing a good tarot reader in person, and most of the people who phone will hang up if you tell them the truth about their issues. When you are paid by the minute, if you want to make money, you tell people what they want to hear to keep them on the phone.

Ok, I take your point about phone calls, and would agree that people want to hear certain things. I just feel, personally, awkward about feeding them a line.

I'm a Tarot reader too and a pretty good one. I don't use it when I'm counselling as the two are not really compatible though my skills as a clairsentient do give me a good feel for what is happening to my client. If they want me to read for them, I will, but only at a seperate appointment.

Meh...
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: 2005 September 04, 15:47:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, I take your point about phone calls, and would agree that people want to hear certain things. I just feel, personally, awkward about feeding them a line.

Ah, ethics. There are some jobs you will do when you are a penurious grad student. Personally, I drew the line at writing essays for money; feeding a line to sad idiots seemed more palatable than my other options.

laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 2005 September 05, 10:03:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am known to dip into ethics every now and again; it's a bad habit of mine. You demonstrate a very cynical attitude but one that I can applaud. Grin

Meh...
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 2005 September 06, 00:15:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess it is also a matter of need and priorities. I spend a lot of time dealing with plagiarists, and not that much with thieves and murderers, so I have a skewed ethical sensibility about academic integrity.
In the case of "ripping off" the people who called me on the psychic line, I think they mainly called because they had no one tot talk to (or no one who would sypathise with their crackpot position), just as much as they called for genuine psychic advice, so I think I did give them what they wanted, partly.
Just as a side note, I would like to say, I wish that in Sims U, the "write my term paper" thing had an option for a negative consequence if you get caught, just like the hacking of grades. There also should be a "buy paper from internet" option with the same possible negative consequences.

laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 2005 September 06, 12:55:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Plagiarism is rife, I'm afraid, and not just in academic circles. I do believe that the funniest thing I heard was of an essay (not mine, thank heaven!) returned with one comment: "I believe you have left out the quotation marks". When the student enquired where, the tutor indicated the start of essay and the end. I think they got a fail...

Meh...
Kitiara
Lipless Loser

boolprop IQTestingEnabledTrue

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 2005 September 07, 01:06:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Plagiarism is rife, I'm afraid, and not just in academic circles. I do believe that the funniest thing I heard was of an essay (not mine, thank heaven!) returned with one comment: "I believe you have left out the quotation marks". When the student enquired where, the tutor indicated the start of essay and the end. I think they got a fail...

You know, I can't decide if that is just too funny, or just too sad.

I would like to ease the minds of anyone that thinks that I am ignoring them. You are not paranoid.
I am not normal. I have never met a normal person. I disbelieve in such mythical creatures.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 2005 September 07, 01:17:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What, like, if you don't laugh, you'll cry? I once had a plagiarist complain about his F because he had written parts of the essay (i.e. two sentences) himself, and shouldn't he get credit for that?

laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 2005 September 07, 12:11:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It made me laugh like a drain. But you're both right, it is incredibly sad that someone thinks they can even try to get away with this sort of thing. Don't they realise that all tutors have an instinct for plagiarisms, AND they know all the text books inside out? If you're going to plagiarise make certain it's from an unknown source, so you can at least pass it off. And if you can substantiate, so much the better. That's harder work than writing the goddam essay in the first place.  Grin

Meh...
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 2005 September 08, 05:04:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One student got done here because she plagiarised the tutor's book. i.e. a book the tutor had written and published.  Roll Eyes

Pictures from the Internet are the big issue we have with marine & environmental, florists and fashion design students...

• Pictures on the Internet are there for anyone to use, aren't they?
  • Reference a picture? Can't I just reference the Google image search page, where I found all the pictures?
  • No-one will know.
  • I can't remember where I found it.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 2005 September 08, 11:27:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

lol   Grin Not a very bright student then?

As for the web images... Bless, you have to give 'em credit for nerve, eh? I think what gets me the most is the air of bewilderment and shock that anyone would have the audacity to accuse them of plagiarism.

Meh...
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 2005 September 08, 12:54:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually the Asian students have a real difficulty understanding plagiarism, in some Asian cultures it is considered respectful to use the words of those more knowledgable, as no words the student could use would be as good as the ones in the books.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 2005 September 08, 12:57:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interesting.

Meh...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: