More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:32:24

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  weird object error
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: weird object error  (Read 10515 times)
Ellie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
weird object error
« on: 2006 April 21, 17:17:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have never seen an error like this before. Does anyone know what it means?

[attachment deleted by admin]
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
Re: weird object error
« Reply #1 on: 2006 April 21, 18:53:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL!  I have no idea, but I just had to laugh at the error message.

From the message, it seems like a problem with a Visitor controller of some sort?
Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 April 22, 02:10:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looks like a Pescado error notice. Cheesy

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?<br />Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
Simlover
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 April 23, 02:29:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thats what I was thinking, definitely not a Maxis sounding error message LOL

Axe murdered since 2006
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 April 23, 02:38:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

visitor controller implies towjeffs to me...
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 April 23, 02:45:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But then you see that the OP has Inteen, so perhaps there is a conflict with them.
twojeffs
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 April 23, 06:55:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is a real Maxis error message believe it or not. I will look and see if the visitor controller could be causing that. I don't think so, but it's possible.
jase
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 April 23, 08:21:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But then you see that the OP has Inteen, so perhaps there is a conflict with them.
Must you blame InTeen for everything?

Anyway, this is a Lua scripting error (which is why it looks so different) and as Jeff states, a real Maxis error.   Professor Kendal is trying to window shop and is apparently trying to find a window through which he can look at something.  There is a Lua script called FindValidWindow, and at some point it attempted to look up an object by its GUID (a globally unique identifier that is assigned to all objects in the game).  The GUID is bogus, so the game is complaining that it can't possibly find such an object. This is most likely a Maxis bug or possibly the script chanced upon some custom content (a custom window perhaps?) that was malformed in some way.
« Last Edit: 2006 April 23, 08:32:45 by jase » Logged

Isn't it about time you did your part in God's plan?  Go on, install InTeen today.  What would Jesus do?
Ellie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 April 23, 08:40:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There were custom windows on the lot, yes.

But whatever it was, I think it is resolved now, at least I haven't had an error like this anymore and I have played with the lot for a while now. (When I last played, I got lots of error logs like the one I posted.) I took out some hacks and put in new ones, so it could have been a hack conflict although I thought none of the hacks I had at the time should have conflicted.
jase
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 April 23, 09:00:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is almost assuredly a content issue - whether its' a Maxis content issue or having to do with one of your custom objects, its difficult to say.  I'd chock it up to a fluke and not worry about it unless it occurs repeatedly.

Isn't it about time you did your part in God's plan?  Go on, install InTeen today.  What would Jesus do?
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 April 23, 10:13:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Must you blame InTeen for everything?

Uhh...I don't see where I blamed Inteen, but Inteen is a large mod that does conflict with other hacks.  Stating that there may be a conflict of some sort is not blaming Inteen.
« Last Edit: 2006 April 23, 10:22:30 by BlueSoup » Logged
Simlover
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2006 April 23, 10:16:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just find it laughible that maxis would say you sent them a "crappy" anything!  They certainly shouldn't talk lol

Axe murdered since 2006
Ruann
Dimwitted Dunce

An overactive male imagination

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2006 April 23, 15:22:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The errors exist for debugging.  Normal players will never see them because they don't turn on debug mode (OMG BOOLPROP AIEEEEEE).  We see them because we're willing to break things to make the game playable.   Tongue  Since the only people who were likely to see that message were the people writing the code to begin with...
Nec
Malodorous Moron

I have no sense of humor.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 April 24, 01:19:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just find it laughible that maxis would say you sent them a "crappy" anything!  They certainly shouldn't talk lol

They have odd stuff like that. One of the lines in the globalprops.xml file is "noStupidIFFUnlocking" it is something that is enabled or disabled like testingcheats, but I have no idea what it is. I just find it humerous that they call something stupid....and now crappy!  Cheesy
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 April 24, 16:04:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think it has anything to do with InTeen.  I've seen it in my game and I've never used InTeen.  And I agree, it sounds like something Pescado or Twojeffs would put in, but if they say it's Maxis code, I believe them.

Karen
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 April 24, 16:29:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't surprise me -- back in my programming days, I and other programmers put a LOT of stuff like that (debugging messages and comments in particular) that the client/general public wasn't meant to see.  It's kinda a old programmer tradition to do it -- sort-of like animators hiding that one 'naughty' cell in among all the rest in a animation short or movie.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 April 25, 00:46:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you all really mean to tell me that the 15th time you send a file to print (or whatever you hafta do over and over because it won't work right that involves computers and naming) you *don't* name it

stupidf***kingfileprintnow

or the like?

that error message is really rather nice comparatively as it's telling the coder he/she did something stupid, not whining at the computer for not giving what I mean rather than what I say which is usually where I am ;)

Unsouper
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 April 25, 23:57:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This isn't at all like one of my error messages. My error messages are either singularly uninstructive to outsiders, or rude and insulting. They certainly wouldn't say "please". Tongue Instead you either get an error message calling you nasty names, or something that just says "ERRORED!".

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: