More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 19:14:24

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Deleting Maxis-Made Sims in the Sim Bin
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Deleting Maxis-Made Sims in the Sim Bin  (Read 12993 times)
Baronetess
vcline
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Deleting Maxis-Made Sims in the Sim Bin
« on: 2006 April 21, 16:02:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want to add the pre-made Downtown to my new neighborhood, but I don't want to play the Burbs or Oldies (I think these are the only ones that come with Downtown).  Is it safe to just delete them from the bin, or should I move them in, make them Townies, then make them babies in SimPE?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
JenW
Irritating Ignoramus

Grilled cheese lovin' cyborg

View Profile WWW
Re: Deleting Maxis-Made Sims in the Sim Bin
« Reply #1 on: 2006 April 21, 16:17:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As long as they haven't met anyone, I think it's safe to delete them from the bin. At least I've done that several times and so far nothing's exploded Grin

<Pescado> With ninja throwing breadsticks, YOU are the dipping sauce! | The Literate Sim
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 April 21, 16:48:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those families come with Pleasantview, not the mazis Downtown.

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 April 21, 17:47:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Deleting sims from the bin is BAD. Especially the premade ones, those tend to have family connections and a ton of other stuff that get buggered up if you delete them. It's an all or nothing deal, either you nuke the entire neighborhood by delete-all-characters, or you're stuck with the lot of them.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baronetess
vcline
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 April 21, 18:26:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those families come with Pleasantview, not the mazis Downtown.

You must be right.  I played Pleasantview for the first time after I got NL and put the Burbs and Oldies in houses Downtown, so that's what made me think they came with Downtown.  But that wouldn't make much sense since they are related to others in Pleasantview.

Never mind.  And thanks.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 April 22, 03:30:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yea, the best thing to do with the pre-made bin sims if you don't want to play them or nuke the whole neighborhood is to stick an empty lot somewhere and put a tool on it to turn them into townies, like the old simlogical teleporter plus bush, or the enhanced one here in Phesantry that lets you make them downtownies.  Move the bin sims to the lot, turn them into townies, and set them loose.  I played all the regular bin sims, but turned most of the Uni bin sims into YA townies/dormies.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
pamysue
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 April 22, 05:15:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yea, the best thing to do with the pre-made bin sims if you don't want to play them or nuke the whole neighborhood is to stick an empty lot somewhere and put a tool on it to turn them into townies, like the old simlogical teleporter plus bush, or the enhanced one here in Phesantry that lets you make them downtownies.  Move the bin sims to the lot, turn them into townies, and set them loose.  I played all the regular bin sims, but turned most of the Uni bin sims into YA townies/dormies.

That is what I did.  I also use the painting to give them some skills and a job and Lord knows I give them a makeover.  It used to be helpful for adding to the dating pool.  Now I use it more to have more townies to shop in my stores and more potential employees.

It's a shame that stupidity isn't painful.
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 April 22, 05:31:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you don't want to play the Burbs or Oldies, place them on a lot and either ignore them completely or kill them. This way it won't screw up things and you get the satisfaction of shuffling them off this mortal coil.  You will have to adjust the age of Lucy Burb though as she can't be killed as a child.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 April 22, 08:06:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: vilia
You will have to adjust the age of Lucy Burb though as she can't be killed as a child.
Or just let the social worker take her.

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 April 22, 08:19:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sim Kids can drown. Bye bye pool ladder!

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 April 22, 12:43:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They can also die in a fire.  Poor kid.  I mean, it would be sad, if that were to happen.
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 April 22, 14:26:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish I'd known that, I would have got rid of Marsha Bruenig much sooner.  One pool 'accident' coming up lol.
Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2006 April 22, 15:11:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Marsha Bruenig is a pretty adult and has nice kids. Cheesy  Grow her up and marry her in...death is the easy way out. You can torture her until she dies of old age. Smiley

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 April 23, 08:49:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I married Marsha Bruenig to a resurrected, adult-again Michael Bachelor.  They had a really cute little boy, and Marsha is a good mommy.  I made her a Knowledge sim, and she reached her LTW to Max 7 Skills and is now a Mad Scientist along with Michael.
Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 April 25, 04:51:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh crap... NOW I learn this. XP

I've been deleting all of the premade families from the bin ever since the base game. D:

What exactly does it do? o_o

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 April 25, 14:23:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been deleting all of the premade families from the bin ever since the base game. D:

What exactly does it do? o_o

Screws up the neighborhood memories, at least up to the NL pre-mades -- they come with a set of memory links to characters already in the game (i.e., the Oldies are Mary-Sue Pleasant's parents, so they come with memories and relationships with the entire Pleasant family). Unlinked memories can kinda 'cascade' over time, eventually resulting in a BFBVFS, and the neighborhood going bye-bye.

As I recall, the bin sims that came with OFB didn't have pre-existing memories (the ones already in the Bluewater Village houses do, though), so they're probably safe to delete.  But it's still the best course to just move maxis bin sims into an empty lot with some tool to turn them into townies, and do so.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
plastic shine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 April 27, 04:56:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How do you grow up Marsha Bruenig?
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 April 27, 08:03:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could have your sim become friends with her and move her in or you could mess around in SimPe and change her from a child to a teen and give her an aspiration & turn on/offs.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 April 27, 08:55:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or you can use the InSiminator and spawn the Temporal Adjuster (and maybe the Selector in order to...uh, select her) to immediately turn her into an adult.

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2006 April 27, 10:03:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used the agesimscheat on to age her up when my simkid became an adult then they went to college together. Granted, her kid would be a lot better if he had a nose. (Her husband is one of my alien sims). But I think if he were to get one of those nose things, he would be pretty darn good looking. Cheesy My Marsha is a Pleasure sim. So is her husband. They both want 50 dream dates so they suit each other well. Smiley

Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 April 27, 12:03:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry to swim against the current here Cheesy, but deleting a family from the sim bin does not cause any harm to the game.

It will empty the character files - which become just picture placeholders - but the sim will remain intact in the neighborhood database.
Of couse it is an irreversible change, but if you are concerned about the corrupt memories or broken family ties, I can assure you that this method is relatively harmless.

Most potentially neighborhood-nuking problems happen when you delete the Sim Description entry in SimPe for example, but the game's delete option will not do this.

There was a discussion to create a tool that would completely wipe a sim from the database, including unlinked memories and family ties, but it still causes some problems in the neighborhood file (probably the reason why it wasn't released yet Tongue).
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 April 27, 12:20:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, that's good to know.

I was getting kinda worried when I read all of this because in some of my newer neighborhoods I deleted the Maxis-Made sims that came with Bluewater Village because I didn't feel like dealing with them.  And in my old Pleasantview (which I don't want to explode any time soon) I deleted the Maxis-made uni sims that were in the greek houses so I could use them for my own sims.

Next time I'll just make everyone I don't want to play into Townies.  Just to be safe.
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2006 April 28, 06:14:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry to swim against the current here Cheesy, but deleting a family from the sim bin does not cause any harm to the game.

It will empty the character files - which become just picture placeholders - but the sim will remain intact in the neighborhood database.
Of couse it is an irreversible change, but if you are concerned about the corrupt memories or broken family ties, I can assure you that this method is relatively harmless.

Most potentially neighborhood-nuking problems happen when you delete the Sim Description entry in SimPe for example, but the game's delete option will not do this.

Thanks for explaining that, Theo!  I was thinking, "Oh great!  Here goes yet ANOTHER neighborhood!  And I was just getting this one sim off to a great start! LOL

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: