More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 00:37:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Good reason for *not* getting FFS (Family Fun Stuff)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Good reason for *not* getting FFS (Family Fun Stuff)  (Read 47020 times)
TreyNutz
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
Re: Good reason for *not* getting FFS (Family Fun Stuff)
« Reply #75 on: 2006 April 16, 00:55:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, for the builders. Last night I installed two lots packaged with the Family Fun pack (I do not have it yet). I was able to enter both lots with NO errors, NO hanging, NO crashing. One of the lots contained FF objects which didn't seem to show up (I need to take a closer look to verify that, but I'm sure it'll be the case). So, for builders not wanting it just because of that issue, it doesn't appear it's going to be a problem. Thank goodness Tongue

I could not get lots from the Exchange that required the FFS pack to install in my game with the TS2 Package Installer.  The Sims 2 Pack Clean Installer worked fine.  I had no issues with the lots once installed other than some barren walls and stuff.  (I have no idea if the random lots I downloaded had any FFS content in them.)  But your average sims player does not use the the Sims 2 Pack Clean Installer to install lots.  Depending on how many people purchase the FFS pack, your audience could be limited if you like to build. 

SMRalph, however, states that the 'issue' has been reported to Maxis.  But I think he was partly trying to head off a serious criticism of the FFS pack more than question whether or not this was intended.

Just coincidence but it works.
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2006 April 16, 02:46:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem with too much of the content in x-packs is that it's merely a novelty that wears thin after a very short time.

I don't think they will. Parents still need to keep their kids quiet and completists will desire to buy anything with a Sims logo.

Go Away
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2006 April 16, 02:48:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pssttt....Jysudo.

Gotta delete some PM messages, your mailbox is full.
Simlover
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: 2006 April 16, 02:57:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem with too much of the content in x-packs is that it's merely a novelty that wears thin after a very short time.

I don't think they will. Parents still need to keep their kids quiet and completists will desire to buy anything with a Sims logo.

I would consider myself a completeist but I think I will break my record and give this a miss.

Axe murdered since 2006
Onion Girl
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2006 April 16, 03:04:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would consider myself a completeist but I think I will break my record and give this a miss.
Well, hearing about the bugs, the price of it, and the fact there's (apparently) NO new intereactions, NPC's etc, I'd say that's rather wise.
I won't be buying this, at the moment I couldn't even afford to, and I prefer realism in my game, and somehow have a ship steering wheel in the middle of my living room walll doesn't seem very realistic to me, plus I'm just not interested in Nautuical themeing. I was never really hugely completeist with the game anyway, I had only 2 expansions with The Sims 1.

If you like the smell of doung, and being shouted at by farmers, why not take a trip to the countryside?
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2006 April 16, 07:04:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looking back on the Holiday Pack, it wasn't really so bad compared to the FFP.  It didn't require a disk, install music, create duplicate packages, or seriously affect the game.  FFP is making people who have outdated cards no longer to play the game, which even though they should upgrade it's idiotic to introduce the new requirements in an object add-on set.

I am also a completist, but the health of my game takes precedent.
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2006 April 16, 08:01:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I prefer realism in my game, and somehow have a ship steering wheel in the middle of my living room walll doesn't seem very realistic to me

Cheesy We have one sitting on our fireplace mantle...

ISFJ
tsrynolds
Blathering Buffoon

No, really, fuck this shit!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2006 April 16, 09:14:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can take $20 and get subscriptions to wonderful sites and get a crap load of stuff, that won't turn your game to mush.

I'd rather Maxis takes their little packs and shoves them up their rumps. Tongue

OY!
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2006 April 16, 10:22:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd rather Maxis takes their little packs and shoves them up their rumps. Tongue
Hehe, what a nice way to put it!  Cheesy
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2006 April 16, 15:07:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looking back on the Holiday Pack, it wasn't really so bad compared to the FFP.  It didn't require a disk, install music, create duplicate packages, or seriously affect the game.  FFP is making people who have outdated cards no longer to play the game, which even though they should upgrade it's idiotic to introduce the new requirements in an object add-on set.

I am also a completist, but the health of my game takes precedent.

Guess what, I am now feeling good that I brought the holiday pack...because it seems value for money compared to this shit  Roll Eyes

I feel sad I am a sims fan. Other games don't give people these kind of shit and still end up as best selling game... Undecided

Go Away
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2006 April 16, 16:28:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FFP is making people who have outdated cards no longer able to play the game, which even though they should upgrade it's idiotic to introduce the new requirements in an object add-on set.

I guess this means the next EP will also make this change for people who didn't buy the FFP.  Sigh.  I wonder if my system will run it.

When The Sims 2 came out, my system was about halfway up the list of requirements - not underpowered but not top of the pile either.  It runs the game pretty well all things considered.  The only time I see slow downs is on very large lots and I can have extra large families (10-12) without problems.  I've since updated my video card but, as my system was fairly old then (only two years old at that time, for heaven's sake), I was only able to upgrade so far.  I got the system just before the change to the newer the slot types - whatever the technical details were.  I've been pretty happy with the new video card but can't improve it any further with my present system.

The thing is I am a student and can't afford to upgrade till I get a full-time job (I'm due to finish in 2009) - if I ever get one - though I will probably try to buy a bigger system just before I leave because we get massive discounts via the computer department.  I was given this system when I started my course because I am a disabled student - it's part of my support package.  I've obviously been pretty happy about that and it's perfectly adequate for my research work.  It's all very well saying people should upgrade their systems but there are plenty of people like me who can't afford to, who don't have loads of spare cash to throw around - people with young - or elderly - families to support, people with disabilities or chronic illness, unemployed, etc. etc.  It would be nice if game developers were a bit more mindful of these things.  I can understand the desire to exploit new features and developments in hardware but people do get left behind in the mad rush to something 'better' - often only marginally better as far as I can see too.  In a long-running series like the Sims, it also seems a bit of a cheat to have the early parts of the game run on some systems and then to cut them off by upping the requirements.  And when I say long-running - in fact, it's only going to run for the base game and 7 expansions (so they say) - at the rate Maxis produces the EPs, that's only about 4 years.  I know computer technology is supposed to develop quickly but four years still isn't a long time.  (And I reckon about 90% of what people say about the rate of development is complete bollocks.)

Inteen for AL, yay!
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2006 April 16, 16:39:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thing is, this is totally unnecessary. There's nothing in the damned pack that would require higher requirements. Believe me, I've seen custom content that people download with way more polys and bigger textures than what's the FFP. I really dislike that it installs like an episode, new directory, new objects.package, new bodyshop, SimPE complains about it etc etc. It's just a few objects for crying out loud. I've downloaded way more stuff than what's in this pack and it didn't make my game a new episode. Tongue

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Mike
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2006 April 16, 23:17:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thing is, this is totally unnecessary. There's nothing in the damned pack that would require higher requirements. Believe me, I've seen custom content that people download with way more polys and bigger textures than what's the FFP. I really dislike that it installs like an episode, new directory, new objects.package, new bodyshop, SimPE complains about it etc etc. It's just a few objects for crying out loud. I've downloaded way more stuff than what's in this pack and it didn't make my game a new episode. Tongue

I completely agree. Maxis did alot of unnecessary things with Family Fun Stuff.
Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: 2006 April 16, 23:29:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They're just covering their ass since Nightlife brought up the system requirements (OFB has the higher requirements too). They don't want people to expect that the game will run on lower spec systems if they have this installed (ie. someone buys Nightlife and Family Fun thinking they're be able to play Nightlife because Family fun has lower requirements, since that's the game disc used to play the game). They did the same thing with TS1 around the time Vacation came out.

As for making it a new episode, they probably did it because the HPP was so easy to pirate, it didn't need a serial to install and there wasn't really any way to show a person owned it when they uploaded a lot to the exchange (thus, missing objects).
« Last Edit: 2006 April 16, 23:37:03 by Argon » Logged

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2006 April 17, 14:56:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, at this point I have the Family Fun on my 'throw-away' system (i.e., my laptop, where I only play TS2 while traveling, and pretty much just play the maxis provided sims).  I got back from vacation yesterday and fired up my 'real' game on my desktop, and there's no way I'm adding this to my main machine -- it's just not worth it right now, considering you don't gain much with it.  I'm just going to chalk up the cost of the FFS pack to research, so y'all can get first-hand reports on it.  Roll Eyes

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2006 April 17, 19:09:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now this is great. More options for furniture which means you can change your old furniture to new ones.
Extra clothing to choose from and more decorations to look better. Everything is new for your Sims Family.

This gem of wisdom in reference to FFS was found at the Amazon site.  Written by:

"Reviewer:   Jessica Savitch "co-producer of 'Goddess Worship' & 'New Sex Now' DVDs, and editor of '9 Free Secrets...' ...&... 'Free Your Love Now' ...&... 'My Name is Gary' eBooks" (The heart of the revolution, www.NewSex.org)) - See all my reviews"

Lyall
Dimwitted Dunce

Voodoo Snowman

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2006 April 17, 23:38:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sheesh, after reading all of this I have to say that I agree. This is just a rip-off. I never had any temptation to get the Holiday Pack and I don't have any to get this. I'll just stick to the expansion packs, thank you very much.

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall in an open sewer and die." - Mel Brooks
laylei
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2006 April 18, 03:23:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aw crap.

My parents gave this to me for Easter, and while I haven't installed it, I have taken off the wrapper. Now I can't return it, I shouldn't install it, and I'm hurting my parents feelings for not liking their gift.  Undecided
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2006 April 18, 05:20:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually it might depend on where your parents bought it, laylei. My husband bought a Law & Order pc game for me for Christmas the year before last but it wouldn't work on my computer; I figured it was the disc and exchanged it at Walmart (where he had bought it). The new one wasn't any better, would freeze up my computer....I took it back, fully expecting to hear "tough luck" but oddly enough they let me return it. They also let me return an opened pc game of son's as well. So, if your folks bought it at Walmart, I'd at least give it a try.

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
laylei
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2006 April 18, 05:55:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, it was from Target. Ah well, live and learn, I guess. I'll probably install in someday... once the bugs have been hammered out.
ecaguimbal
Asinine Airhead

Open for Business

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2006 April 19, 13:28:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have Family Fun Stuff now beacause my parents knew me to love Sims 2, they always pre-order Sims games for me. I'm not boasting but we are somewhat rich. But I don't want to install that yet because of unending bugs and glitches I heard. I will install it after a new patch comes out.

I will complete the seven expansions.
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2006 April 20, 18:37:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think I am buying anymore packs.
Quote from: BBS
Subject:   Re: Family Fun Pack Problems

Okay, I have the Sims 2 and all the Eps and have never had a problem.  I had never even needed to download a patch before.  So I get Family Fun Stuff.  First question, why did the specs change for a bunch of objects and clothing any way?  The specs did not change for Open for Business and it actually included lots of new game play.  Well my computer's graphic card did not meet the new specs.  I did not even dream that they would change the specs for a bunch of objects so I installed the game.  I got flashing walls and a three day stay in the hospital due to seizure I had because I have epilepsy.  Well, my dad ordered me a new graphic card since he felt bad for me but I don't think I want this game anymore anyway.  I can download much nicer objects that do not mess up my game (read the above and learned of all the new glitches).  My second question is why does Maxis continue to release games with such major bugs?  I realize that it would be hard to catch all the small bugs as ever!
yone's computers are different and with cc and all.  Are they trying to go out of business by releasing games that only a few can play without major problems? I am not usually one to complain but it is getting ridicules!
« Last Edit: 2006 April 20, 18:50:42 by simsbaby » Logged

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2006 April 20, 20:51:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good grief. Now Maxis is giving people fits. Literally.

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?<br />Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: 2006 April 20, 22:43:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maxis isn't entirely at fault for the flashing textures, that can happen in any game that uses DirectX with an older video card (ex. Warcraft III did it a few times before I upgraded).

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2006 April 20, 23:51:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know. But jeeez. Who wants to have a frickin' seizure playing a game for crying outloud? Sorry. I'm crabby today. Tongue

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?<br />Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: