More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 15:27:51

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Good reason for *not* getting FFS (Family Fun Stuff)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Good reason for *not* getting FFS (Family Fun Stuff)  (Read 47013 times)
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
Good reason for *not* getting FFS (Family Fun Stuff)
« on: 2006 April 13, 18:26:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There have been many arguments about how FFS is a ripoff because it contains only 60 items that should have been included in OFB. While I understand the argument, it really didn't sway me and I was still contemplating getting it. However, a much more cogent reason has emerged.

It seems that if you have FFS, and you upload a lot, the only people who will be able to use the lot are other people who have FFS. This appears different from the Holiday pack - if you have the Holiday pack, but you don't use any Holiday items in a lot, people can still use the lot. But now there's a new icon on the lot Exchange for FFS just like the other EPs. 

I think many people will not be getting FFS so builders beware - if you install FFS your audience may shrink considerably. It's one thing to require the newest EPs which have real building changes but to require a booster pack is a bit much.

« Last Edit: 2006 April 13, 20:10:54 by Pegasys » Logged

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
Re: Good reason for *not* getting FFS
« Reply #1 on: 2006 April 13, 18:34:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I saw this too, and it's disappointing.  I know Maxis wants to prevent piracy by forcing you to register and the disk for playing, blah blah blah, but if I did get FFS, I wouldn't be able to upload a Sim, lot, business, anything.

Gah.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006 April 13, 18:39:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I'm not getting it. I can't stand OFB and have uninstalled it. I actually doubt if I would buy any more expansion packs for my game now. I like it the way it is! Grin

JenW
Irritating Ignoramus

Grilled cheese lovin' cyborg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 April 13, 18:48:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I heard that it installs like an EP so I was afraid this was going to happen, dammit. I think I'm going to get it but put off installing it for a while and finish up some lots to upload before I have to add another requirement to them.

* jenwarren kicks EA.

<Pescado> With ninja throwing breadsticks, YOU are the dipping sauce! | The Literate Sim
Fat D
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 April 13, 18:50:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

it even has a new loading screen, no more than 4 different objects (the two pescados, the underwater dresser and the stepping stone rug) and few useful clothing items, must only for children which would be great for every age, like the accesoires.

Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 April 13, 18:54:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does it have new music in the loading screen? I know this sounds awfully picky, but I like the OFB opening music and don't want it replaced yet.

Meh. I'm definitely going to put off getting this.

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
JenW
Irritating Ignoramus

Grilled cheese lovin' cyborg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 April 13, 18:59:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, it has new music...I don't have it yet, but my coadmin at the Literate Sim has it and has made a couple of posts about it (link is in my sig).

<Pescado> With ninja throwing breadsticks, YOU are the dipping sauce! | The Literate Sim
Baronetess
vcline
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 April 13, 19:03:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was referring to the FFS Lot Debugger.  Shocked  Glad to see I was wrong.
viromancy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Good reason for *not* getting FFS (Family Fun Stuff)
« Reply #8 on: 2006 April 13, 20:34:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There have been many arguments about how FFS is a ripoff because it contains only 60 items that should have been included in OFB...

An even more pertinent reason for not getting it might be that, to judge by the advance publicity, it's complete crap and is better off not being included at all. In real life I've found that, as a general rule, you should run screaming from anything that advertises itself as appropriate for a "family" setting, be it "family fun" or "family friendly" or "family entertainment". "Family Fun Stuff" seems to carry the principle over into virtual reality.

Your mileage may vary, of course.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 April 13, 21:13:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I was in Target today, and they had it on sale, so I picked it up for 'research purposes'. Smiley  It does install like an EP (CD code and all), because if you have only the original game it adds the relationship stuff that came in with Uni/Nightlife (influence, turn on/offs, furious reactions) and the sim inventory.  Doesn't otherwise appear to break anything, though, as there aren't any new interactions I've found yet in about 1/2 hour of poking around with it.  And most of the stuff it adds is for kids, it appears.  So for most folks with more than the base game, it's probably not worth it to buy.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 April 13, 22:18:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FFP has new loading music and a screen. It's "SP1" (Stuff Pack 1), as opposed to XPn (Expansion Pack n).

There are NO new interactions or scenarios at all, just a few okay objects and some horrid clothes/hats. And three blank houses with some of the new objects in the lotbin.
I'm not buying or installing it.
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 April 13, 22:33:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The game will usually reset the custom content catalog - go into options, turn them on, save and exit and they should show with the next time you turn it on.

As for the flashing blue, perhaps a CEP thing that's not compatible with the booster pack?
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 April 13, 23:07:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

and some horrid clothes/hats.

Oh great, that's just what we need.  More ugly hats.

Had no plans on buying it anyway but will remember the ugly hats in case I have a brain fart while in a software store.

By the way, I read a post from someone claiming FFS deleted his houses.  But that appeared in the Land of the Lemmings, so it was probably user error.
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 April 13, 23:20:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maxis has never been known for logic.  It shouldn't have been necessary, but who knows what kind of bugginess that was introduced?  We already heard of a major one direct from Maxis themselves, and I don't know if Pescado, TJ and Crammyboy are planning to get it?  If they don't, then they prolly can't make the pretty, shiny hacks either.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2006 April 13, 23:27:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maxis has never been known for logic.  It shouldn't have been necessary, but who knows what kind of bugginess that was introduced?  We already heard of a major one direct from Maxis themselves, and I don't know if Pescado, TJ and Crammyboy are planning to get it?  If they don't, then they prolly can't make the pretty, shiny hacks either.

But the thing is... if it's just Objects... then why would/should you need fixes for Objects?!?!?! Tongue The majority, if not all of those objects that I've seen aren't exactly brand new. They are existing dresser/drawers, beds, carpets, and decorative stuff that isn't even all that pretty anyways.

So if all of these are pretty much just regular old objects, with maybe new meshes, why should these be buggy? It just seems really retarded to me that, in their attempt to make the content pirate proof, they buggered it all up. Tongue So... even those people who legally purchase it are having problems they shouldn't. How stupid is this? That outfits were the reason lots and sims were disappearing. I just don't get that. Tongue

I am definitely going to pass on this worthless piece 'o crap. And I encourage everyone else to do so as well. Don't be a sucka foo'!  Lips sealed

Ste

BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 April 13, 23:28:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't understand how a bunch of CC can make the lots disappear and all sorts of funky thing happen either.

Anyone ever have this problem with CC from fansites making the lot disappear? I know I've never had that.

Stupid Maxis.  Angry
Nivaya
Exasperating Eyesore

INFP

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 April 13, 23:29:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ugh, what IS it with Maxis and their sick hat obsession? Personally, none of my sims are behatted, if I wanted to see chavs and old people, I'd look out of my window, plenty of ugly hats there...>.>
And the FFS hats are particularly ugly, from what I've seen...

And I don't want to crap up my game even more, for the sake of some ugly hats. And also some stuff. I can crap up my game with STUFF for free, thankyouverymuch.

Like a balloon..and....something bad happens!!!
Entgleichen
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 April 14, 00:20:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the reason that it's buggy is, because it contains some gameplay elements from nightlife. So, it's not only objects in FFS, even if someone who owns all EPs, doesn't see it in the game.
But I have all EPs, so I don't need this overexpensive 'Almost-Nothing' either.

I don't believe that Maxis is stupid anymore. I believe they have gone nuts.
Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2006 April 14, 01:28:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well dammit I was looking forward to some more kid-friendly objects and was hoping to get this for my birthday.  I build houses though, so much for that idea.  Stupid EA.

Someone sucks more than I do.
http://wytchieone.deviantart.com/gallery
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 April 14, 01:31:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, if anyone has learned anything from the last three EP's and the stupid Holiday add-on it's: Don't buy right away!

Instant gratification takes too long.
TreyNutz
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 April 14, 01:53:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

By the way, I read a post from someone claiming FFS deleted his houses.  But that appeared in the Land of the Lemmings, so it was probably user error.

I saw a post like that too.  She uninstalled the FFS pack, restored her backup to get her lot back, and then reinstalled the pack.  She was going to work with a test lot next to see what happens.  I haven't heard anything since.

I, unfortunately, have already ordered the FFS pack, although it hasn't shipped yet.  I wonder if I can cancel the order.

Just coincidence but it works.
anelca
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 April 14, 02:35:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i am quite happy to buy expansion packs
what i am not happy to part with my cash for is a Booster pack containing crap. even worse, crap which can interfere with how my game plays
and agreeing with Nivaya here, i would be ecstatic if maxis would burn the hats, chav (i don't need or want a bunch of ASBOs running round my 'hoods) or otherwise styled, and stupid costumes
trouble is if they did do that who knows what they would put in their place
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 April 14, 06:18:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some folks are experiencing flashing red walls after installing this SP.
And it might just be because Maxis had upped system requirements for it, found this on BBS

Originally Posted by DitzyDahling
apparently Maxis upped the specs on the video graphics card for this booster pack. I have the same problem. I can run Sims2, Uni and OFB, but when I install FF all my walls in every house flash red/black. I've already uninstalled the booster from my game as I couldn't get it to stop and I already have the latest driver update. if you haven't updated your video driver, then try that... maybe it'll fix yours.

I am not sure how true that is but it seems insane to increase specs for OBJECTS?! What the hell are they thinking?

Go Away
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2006 April 14, 06:25:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Reason 23: Family Fun Stuff can be abbreviated to "FFS" which is a blatant rip-off of JM's hacks.  Maxis is just trying to capitalize on JM's success. Tongue

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 April 14, 06:47:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your reason really makes me laugh and yeah I have to agree with it  Wink

Go Away
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: