More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 07:56:32

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Squinge found something interesting...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Squinge found something interesting...  (Read 82951 times)
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
Re: Squinge found something interesting...
« Reply #125 on: 2006 April 06, 07:58:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would that be polycystic ovarian syndrome/disease? If so, that's what I have too, and the doctor told me, that I have a silm to low chance of conceiving without medication, and a high chance of miscarriage if I do happen to get pregnant without drugs. My mother had it undiagnosed before me, she had three kids with no problems, but she also had three miscarriages...

Yes, but my insulin is slowly returning to normal because I started taking medication last year. Most, if not all women with PCOS have insulin resistance, and when metformin is prescribed and the body processes insulin in a more effective and normal way which means the body's hormonal cycles begin to behave in a more effective and normal way. Metformin also makes you more fertile, and in some scenarios Clomid is also necessary. I'm assuming your insulin is being regulated, so that should help some.

Me - I've just started on metformin.  PCOS is caused by insulin resistance so the question is not so much IF, but HOW BAD...  I'm just relieved to have found out very early in the game.  Hoping to avoid the clomid, but will look into that in August if no luck by then.

(rather an odd topic to be talking about on a games forum, but hey...  I've talked about my sims games on my conception forum, so fair's fair)
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2006 April 06, 10:07:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Speaking of which, I couldn't find that mod under Squinge's profile (as I cannot look up the adult section at work).

You won't - it's in the adult section

Not any more.  It's been moved to the same section as the rest of Squinge's stuff.  You can find it here: http://www.insimenator.net/showthread.php?t=8084

There are now different versions to choose from - male-only, female-only, and both male and female.  Also something to speed up the feeding process. 

Karen
Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2006 April 06, 10:31:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Still. if you are smart you will wait for the more awesome than you version. Roll Eyes

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?<br />Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2006 April 06, 16:03:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would that be polycystic ovarian syndrome/disease? If so, that's what I have too, and the doctor told me, that I have a silm to low chance of conceiving without medication, and a high chance of miscarriage if I do happen to get pregnant without drugs. My mother had it undiagnosed before me, she had three kids with no problems, but she also had three miscarriages...

Yes, but my insulin is slowly returning to normal because I started taking medication last year. Most, if not all women with PCOS have insulin resistance, and when metformin is prescribed and the body processes insulin in a more effective and normal way which means the body's hormonal cycles begin to behave in a more effective and normal way. Metformin also makes you more fertile, and in some scenarios Clomid is also necessary. I'm assuming your insulin is being regulated, so that should help some.

Me - I've just started on metformin.  PCOS is caused by insulin resistance so the question is not so much IF, but HOW BAD...  I'm just relieved to have found out very early in the game.  Hoping to avoid the clomid, but will look into that in August if no luck by then.

(rather an odd topic to be talking about on a games forum, but hey...  I've talked about my sims games on my conception forum, so fair's fair)

My doc just shoved me on birth control... he didn't test my insulin levels at all.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2006 April 06, 16:17:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The unfair reality is that if you haven't had a child you have no idea what it's like to be a breastfeeding mom. Just like those who haven't experienced the heartbreak of infertility do not fully comprehend your pain.
I'm infertile, and the only kids I'll likely have will be funny-looking mutants. There's no pain. Well, no pain for *ME* anyway. Uranium burns, though.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
momtogirls
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2006 April 06, 16:18:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My doc just shoved me on birth control... he didn't test my insulin levels at all.

If you think you may want to get pregnant in the future, you may want to find a new doc.

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2006 April 06, 16:25:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, he told me that I'd need something for when I want to get pregnant. Said that I would need something to balance out my hormones and insulin levels that didn't impair my ability to get pregnant like birth control.

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2006 April 06, 18:04:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*hopes that JM is working on an awesome version of this hack*

laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

Fook me, it took long enough to get a title!

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2006 April 06, 18:16:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ain't it interesting that a so-called civilised society has this huge furore about breasts? Meh... it's all pants because, as someone else has probably pointed out, it is something that the developing nations have in perspective. The correct perspective, I hasten to add. Why, in some parts of the world a woman will suckle other animals (pigs noteably) because they have worth within that society! Not so certain you'd see that happening either here or in the USA. I think (ducks for cover and possibility of rocks) that our attitudes are rooted in religion and the sentiment that any sort of nudity is sinful.

Meh...
vector
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2006 April 06, 19:42:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see a controversy either. Stop trying to make one. End of story.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program:
This is definitely interesting, but has the minor drawback that Squinge has overridden the global pie menu. Kind of a no-no. Maybe I should make a more awesome version.

This would rock so much. Finally, we'd be able to have a specific nursery room on the third floor, far away from visitors and pains-in-the-asses, just big enough for skilling toys, cribs and changers, and not have to send an older sim on a five mile hike to the fridge and back just to feed the little brat. A more awesome version of this would be almost too awesome to bear.

Ugh, it really creeps me out that female sims have nipples until they become teens.
This didn't occur to me until you pointed it out. Thanks for making me disturbed, too.  Undecided What happens to them? Where do they go? Are they re-absorbed by the body? Do they fall off? Urg.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2006 April 06, 19:46:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL I didn't even notice that Sims don't have nipples.  I use custom defaults now (finally found a set I like) and they have nipples and hair (look out, she's reformed!  Tongue)
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2006 April 06, 19:49:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Better yet - Females have nipples up until they become teens, but male sims keep them all their lives. ...Yeeeeah.

I replaced the defaults with skins that at least had nipples for everyone the moment I could.

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2006 April 06, 19:52:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very odd.  Since replacing the skins, I actually haven't had any kids born, so I have no idea if they have nipples or not.  I guess I'll have to wait and see.
anelca
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2006 April 06, 20:00:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

commiserations to those on metformin...its a horrible drug but i suppose if it helps with your insulin resistance and PCOS then so be it, but there are alternatives you could ask your docs about

funny this debate about breastfeeding and sim-nipples and so forth. i'll keep out of the former as i am a midwife and a one time breastfeeder of 3 kids (not all at once) so my views will be biased

i don't think the presence or absence of sim-nipples should be an issue. they are not vital to a sim being able to breastfeed, after all the absence of genitalia still enables them to woohoo and give birth

look forward to an awesome version  Grin
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2006 April 06, 20:03:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That was the main thing that gave me pause about it. I know IRL it's technically possible, but... no. Just... no.
It is? How? I thought the expression "Tits on a bull" was the epitomy of nonfunctionality.

Hormones. Males actually do have mammary glands, but generally they don't produce the right hormones to make them function. Usually the hormonal stimulation is from an outside source, like medications and possibly diet. Googling "male lactation" gives a surprising number of links; here's the Wikipedia article.
My son lactated when a few months old. Itty bitty little droplets. I can't wait to tell his girlfriends when he's older.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2006 April 06, 20:05:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gee, and all I did was mention an interesting new mod -- never expected WW III over it. Smiley
Obviously you've never hung out on parenting forums.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2006 April 06, 20:17:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i don't think the presence or absence of sim-nipples should be an issue. they are not vital to a sim being able to breastfeed, after all the absence of genitalia still enables them to woohoo and give birth

They aren't, but it's still Really Weird. Male sims have nipples all of their lives, but female sims only have them baby through toddler. THAT gave me pause, let me tell you - for, while I am aware of the (pointless, silly, ridiculous) reason why they de-nipplized the women, I'm surprised they'd bother to include them at all for anyone else, in that case. Even Barbies are more egalitarian - Ken doesn't have nipples either. Friggin' BARBIES, man...

idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2006 April 06, 20:22:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ain't it interesting that a so-called civilised society has this huge furore about breasts?

And you know, traditionally, it was butts that were the biggest deal, not boobies. We're heading backwards nowadays. I mean, stuff from millenia ago is more "risque". Next thing you know, we're gonna think ankles are "gross" again.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2006 April 06, 20:32:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And you know, traditionally, it was butts that were the biggest deal, not boobies. We're heading backwards nowadays. I mean, stuff from millenia ago is more "risque". Next thing you know, we're gonna think ankles are "gross" again.

Heh, sometimes I wonder! Although consider how fashionable low-low-low cut "Does she hold those things in with tape?!" shirts are - but nipples are still a big taboo. Maybe pasties will end up being street fashion.

... The idea both fascinates and horrifies me.

[EDIT: Forgot a word.]
« Last Edit: 2006 April 06, 20:42:44 by Renatus » Logged

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2006 April 06, 20:39:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hah! *thinks of Lita from the WWE's current wardrobe* Yeah, it's definately tape.

Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2006 April 06, 21:52:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, he told me that I'd need something for when I want to get pregnant. Said that I would need something to balance out my hormones and insulin levels that didn't impair my ability to get pregnant like birth control.

that's the metformin...  from what I've read shoving PCOS people on birth control makes things worse - gives you even more hormones that your body can't balance out properly.  I never had a weight problem at all, but now that I've stopped the pill and am trying to get pregnant it seems that I starting to have a weight problem.

metformin isn't that bad, at least not for me but I have heard that some people have huge issues with it.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2006 April 06, 21:55:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm. See, I was told that the reason I gained weight BEFORE birth control was because of the PCOS.

I actually lost weight when I got on the pill.

Ashleigh
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2006 April 06, 22:56:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EH?! Mine didn't either, and it wasn't until last year that I realized the error of his ways - and when my insulin was finally checked I was producing eleven times the normal amount. PCOS is caused by insulin resistance. If left unchecked many people end up with diabetes. (This is of course a simplification on my part.) I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV or in TS2, but birth control made my PCOS worse and that seems to be the rule, not the exception. I had to get three opinions before getting straightened out.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2006 April 06, 23:12:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, fun stuff... I don't want to go doc hunting.. It took me to age 22 to finally go to one of them gynos.....

And the doc really didn't do much to begin with. Said "Oh, you have this, go get a blood test to be SURE it's not thyroid. Blood tests were clean, okay you definately have PCOS."

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2006 April 07, 02:19:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You do know that low-carbing cures PCOS.  Well maybe cure is too strong a word, but so long as you restrict your carbohydrates below a certain level, the symptons vanishes.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: