More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 14:24:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Would you download a hack from a modder who says stuff like this?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Would you download a hack from a modder who says stuff like this?  (Read 22058 times)
Qwiggles
Corpulent Cretin

We are all just monkeys...

View Profile
Re: Would you download a hack from a modder who says stuff like this?
« Reply #25 on: 2006 April 03, 18:47:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Without any more details from the user such as an error log or her statement as to the error being reproducible in a number of different situations, it can be difficult for a modder to try to figure out a resolution.  I saw that post because I'm one of Christianlov's fans and I read his threads all the time but when I saw it, I felt the same way Christianlov did.
He is usually an accommodating modder.  Well, take a look for yourself on how many pages that one particular thread is.  He updates his hacks all the time to accommodate people.
I love Christianlov and his creations.  

Mooooo
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: 2006 April 03, 19:54:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ya'll are kidding, right? Sure, the comment is kinda snotty, but, while I'm not using that particular hack, Christianlov made the autonomous woohoo bed...

Er, that was LizzLove. Different person, afaik.

Depends on what bed sagana was refering too. I'm not sure if it is autonomous, but Christianlov did make an Easy Bed. Didn't bother to see if it was autonomous, but it does allow for easier woohoo.

Btw. I've noticed this demeanor as well, and I don't necessarily blame them for their 'attitude' or demeanor. It can be quite frustrating when the replies you get are just thanks, with no real feedback, good or bad... ( which although I appreciate, doesn't reall help much if it's something that really needs testing and not just in my game, since it works for me but I don't know yet if it works for everyone) Or... negative feedback or complaints with hardly any information at all except to assume your mod is the cause, when whatever method the user might have attempted to determine this may not have been thorough, and merely a 'coincidence.'

While I don't necessarily condone that tone, I don't see it as excessively rude. It seems more jaded to me. Tongue Try keeping up a chipper, peppy, gregarious attitude when all you get are unsubstantiated or unverifiable reports of unreproducable errors. Try keeping up that attitude when you attempt to help those people give you better information by giving them clear, precise directions how to go about doing so, and they refuse to heed your directions because they are lazy or feel that it is too complicated to bother with. Or... they don't come back at all. Tongue

It's like when you're sitting in the #help channel on MTS2 chat. People will pop in for a second, complain about something, and leave immediately if no one responds within picoseconds of their complaint. Um... hello? I wasn't even reading that window yet. I didn't even finish reading your complaint. How would you expect me comprehend what you are saying, much less forumulate an appropriate and thorough response, and type it in before you leave! Roll Eyes

Anyways... as they say, you can only help those who help themselves. Give a man a fish, they eat for a day, give a man a fishing pole... yadda, yadda, yadda, man do fish stink, I prefer beef. Tongue

Ste

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 April 03, 20:09:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hehe, certain modders say stuff like that all the time.  Tongue  I don't think it was the most tactful way to say what he did, but it wasn't really rude either.  Undecided

It's like when you're sitting in the #help channel on MTS2 chat.

MTS2 has a help channel?  Where, like, they can all go to get immediate (well, not immediate, help?
Hitch
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 April 03, 20:47:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Short answer: yes.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: 2006 April 03, 20:55:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hehe, certain modders say stuff like that all the time.  Tongue  I don't think it was the most tactful way to say what he did, but it wasn't really rude either.  Undecided

You don't say... I have no clue who you're talking about. Grin

It's like when you're sitting in the #help channel on MTS2 chat.

MTS2 has a help channel?  Where, like, they can all go to get immediate (well, not immediate, help?

Yeah. If you go to the chat page... I think it usually auto joins you to #help if you use the java app. Unless they changed that. *shrugs*

There is a #help, #social, and #adult channel. I don't know how strictly the #adult channel is enforced. Certain non-adults get some leeway. *shrugs* I don't know if there are automatic/programmatic means to regulate/enforce an age check other than the chan ops, who often just sit around socializing or not. I am unaware of any secret chanops or MTS2 moderator channels, but I'm sure they probably exist.

The #help channel usually has some helpful peeps sitting around. And the chanops/moderators are for the most part helpful, when they are active. They aren't always sitting around and immediately available, but I pop on there from time to time if I have non-modding related questions about regular gameplay, since you know, I don't play the game and have no idea what regular gameplay is like, aside from what I can infer from the code that I've read. lol. Cheesy

People often pop in, complain, and then leave quite abruptly. Roll Eyes

If no one answers, I pop over to #social or #adult and nag people there. Tongue

Ste

BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 April 03, 21:23:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hehe, if I have questions I go to #grah or here.  Works pretty well.  Smiley

I'm almost afraid to ask what the #social and #adult sections are like.  Sounds sheeplike and naughty respectively.  Tongue
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 April 03, 22:57:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not really sure what the benefit of this is? I use the dma stuff and it does pretty much the same things...

But it always pissed me off that buying clothes for townies post-NL doesn't add the clothing to the townie clothing pool, but rather your sims'. That means you get tons of unnecessary clothing files clogging up your sims' dressers. I wonder, w/ this hack - when you buy clothes for neighbor, does it add the clothing to the townie clothing pool or your sims' clothing pool?
DoomPuppy
Blathering Buffoon

.::devil's little sister::.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 April 03, 22:58:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree the comment was a bit short, though I'm not sure I would call it rude.  It's much too difficult to convey what you really mean when tone gets lost.  I've downloaded a few of his hacks, and I can't live without his counterfeit diploma, he's good at what he does..he's not JM but anyway.  I don't think I would make a decision on his character over one comment, everyone has bad days and I'm sure "ONG!1!1 Teh hacK brokeh mi game!1!" get old.   Besides there are much bigger assholes on MYL2 that I would rather slap Wink.

"Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: 2006 April 03, 23:01:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not as sheepish as the BBS. Actually, I used to hang out there on #social and #adult all the time. Pescado was often on #social (before he was booted or... left of his own accord, I really have no clue when it comes to the behinid the scenes drama Tongue) and still hangs about occassionally. Anyhew, I've seen him there lately now and then.

The #social and #adult channels can be just as fun as #grah. I think Pescado might have had #grah on MTS2 before as well, but I forget.

There were regulars on #social and #adult, some that are still there I guess, but I tend to hang about in cycles. I'll go through periods of checking in all the time, and then I'll drop off the face of the channel, and when I come back, I'll vaguely remember who was who. Tongue But that's just how I am when it comes to online communities in general. Nowadays, I rarely connect on an individual basis to the point that I keep long lasting friendships that exist outside of those specific forums.  Undecided

But yeah, #social and #adult are nowhere near as bad as the BBS. IMHO, it's lightyears beyond, and #grah is of course a step above that. Well... depending on whom you consider keeping company with. *ahem*  Lips sealed

And you know me, I love being naughty. Wink #adult can be a no holds barred kinda chat to let loose and be silly and not ph33r corrupting any youngins. Grin

They also had some bot run channels for playing word games. I forget the name of it, but it was pretty fun when you're lookin for a quick fix to alleviate boredom.

As for #grah, #grah is good, when Pescado and company are awake. Tongue

Ste

BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 April 03, 23:09:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meh, #grah definitely has its boring times.  That's when you just leave.  And this is especially of late when certain people who don't belong hang out....
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 April 03, 23:41:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Certain people who don't belong?

Unsouper
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 April 03, 23:55:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, a certain person really, who doesn't play Sims.  Anyone who is there regularly will know who I'm talking about.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 April 04, 00:09:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I play the sims - compulsively - so that lets me out ;)

Anyone who doesn't go there regularly might think you meant them? (Ok, I wasn't really worried, I mean hey you *did* say hey to me nicely :) The only times I was there it seemed awfully quiet... I must hang around at off-times for other folks. But then I was only checking on the TWs game anyways, and then didn't even play. <isn't very good at socializing>

Unsouper
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 April 04, 00:27:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, of course I don't mean you lol.  I don't mean anyone from this site.

Sometimes it is really quiet and no one is really talking.  That's not just because you showed up that we all stopped talking.  Wink  It just gets quiet and/or boring.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 April 04, 00:36:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, someone not from the site? That's different. I'm surprised anyone else even found the place - the instructions are kinda hidden even on this site. Not that I know if there's some IRC channels list somewhere or something.

Good, I'm glad :) I'll hafta try again sometime to find the talk-y times.

Unsouper
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 2006 April 04, 01:31:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I download many mods for my game and some of my favorite creations come from people who've exhibited less than perfect social graces.  Being someone myself who has to work constantly at tactfulness, I try to take it with a grain of salt.  It's sometimes hard to word things in ways that express exactly what a person means and for someone whose native tongue isn't English to begin with it's bound to be even more difficult.

Having said that, I've used this particular mod of Christianlov's and have to say I absolutely love it!  It sits on a small, rather secluded Townie Maker Lot in my neighborhood. 

Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 April 04, 06:06:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Taken out of context, I might think he was rude, but I've seen his responses too many times in other threads to believe he is being mean. He seems to always be concerned that people are happy with his work.

*runs off to remove christianlovs easy computer from downloads folder Tongue

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?<br />Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
Meek_Monkey
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 April 04, 09:52:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have all of his hacks he has always been nice and one in particler hack that is used by alot of people is his all in one NPC great addition to the game you dont need those rude old nannies.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 April 04, 10:03:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A while back, I was having problems with a new version of the bathroom controller Pescado had made.  It was crashing the game when I loaded any lot that had the TP on it, and all my lots have it.  I hopped over to #grah, and Pescado said it was impossible that a hack would cause a CTD.  Yet it was happening, and I had isolated it to this one hack because I'd taken out all my other hacks but this one.  The thing that made it trickier to pin down is that it didn't always happen instantly on loading a lot.  On one particular lot, it happened at 6:00 pm when one of the sims who was asleep woke up.  It happened every time.  I made a test lot in a test neighborhood, and everything was fine until I put the TP on the lot.  So Pescado asked if there was an error log as per usual, but I wasn't getting one, it simply crashed.  He was honestly perplexed.  He made a test version for me to try that was designed to generate an error log, but it didn't, it just crashed the game.  He finally figured out that somehow the game was still reading OFB code in my NL game, even though he had put in tests to see if the game had OFB installed, but the game was apparently ignoring them.  It was rather frustrating, but I have to say that Pescado was very helpful in finding the problem and making an updated hack that did not crash.  Partly because I knew how to do my own testing and I could present a fairly accurate picture.  He did at first say it was a "Rainbow problem" but once I presented the evidence to him that it definitely was not, plus the fact that other users reported problems in the thread, he took the time to help me troubleshoot the problem.  I can definitely handle that.

Therefore, I think that there is a difference between someone who is just plain rude and not helpful at all, and someone who is intelligent and helpful with a side of smartass. Wink  And I think we as users have a responsibility to do as much testing on our own before blaming the problem on the mod and then giving the modder as much information as we can, preferably the circumstances that can reproduce the problem. 
Meek_Monkey
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2006 April 04, 10:09:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have also found not only modders that other people with a rather high IQ can be rude, they boarder on the edge of insanity.
laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

Fook me, it took long enough to get a title!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2006 April 04, 10:14:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only thing I look at is the modder's track record with putting out things that work (for me).  Some of the best are not people persons  Wink

How on earth could you have possibly arrived at this conclusion?

Meh...
Meek_Monkey
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2006 April 04, 10:20:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

User:
Hi, I download this the other day and promptly tested it. Was having my YA make over his dormies when the game suddenly crashed on me. I never have a crash when playing sims before. It was in the middle of applying make up on the dormie or changing clothes for the townie when it happen.

I am not sure why the game crashed but after I took out this hack, everything was fine once again.

This person was not very clear on what happend in the game never offered an error log or anything that would of been useful for the modeer to find the problem and it could of been a confilct with another mod that they where using.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2006 April 04, 10:33:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, a certain person really, who doesn't play Sims.  Anyone who is there regularly will know who I'm talking about.

they tend to come in threes, more or less...  or at least they used to.
Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: 2006 April 04, 14:16:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

they tend to come in threes, more or less...  or at least they used to.

Yeah. Now it's usually one. The second drops in occasionly. I haven't seen the third in ages. No big loss, really Wink

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2006 April 04, 19:23:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On the topic of annoying creators, I left a passing post on MTS2 on some celeb sim, saying that the sim was pretty but dissimiliar to the celebrity, and then the creator swoops on me and announces that her work is "objectively" good. Someone has quite a big head...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: