More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 16:37:15

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  College Tuition Mod?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: College Tuition Mod?  (Read 13697 times)
sintrinity
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
College Tuition Mod?
« on: 2006 March 30, 18:24:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anyone know of a mod that will charge families to send their kids to college?  I know the scholarships are supposed to be for that but IMO I think the scholarships should go towards a tuition charge and not be free spending money.  Parents with underachievers should have to foot the bill themselves. 

It just seems too easy to fulfill those "graduate 3 kids from college" and to make everyone successful by having those extra college years to skill and network.

Right now I am just using the familyfunds cheat to take 10k (minus scholarship funds) away from the family per child and then taking the scholarship money away from the kid once it gets there.  It would juts be nice if anyone else has an easier way for something of this nature.
TheCheat
Corpulent Cretin

Yeah man. I'll gnaw your face off.

View Profile
Re: College Tuition Mod?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 March 31, 02:00:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It'd be nice to have something like this. After all, a real college isn't gonna take a kid who plodded his/her way through school with a D- the whole time.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 March 31, 02:16:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you actually do have to have decent grades to attend Uni.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
sintrinity
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 March 31, 03:11:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure on the grades because I make everyone do their homework most of the time since most of them have jobs that require their grades be higher than a D (I think it is D anyway). 

I do have several teens who get nothing but the scholar's grant and then get a pretty free ride to college because they were too busy sneaking out and dating instead of skilling.  I'm not sure who's footing the bill but they certainly didn't get recruited by the college.  I do cut my romance sims a break for sleeping with those nasty looking professors.  Kinda like getting a tuition coupon  Wink

Plus, I like to make the kids drop out if their parents can't afford the payments minus whatever money they get each final after living expenses Roll Eyes.  Add some RL stressors to the game and a much needed way to get rid of some of that excess money floating around I always seem to have after a few generations.

I'll just keep messing around with the money order and familyfunds cheat although I seem to have problems with familyfunds when I have more than one household with the same last name. 
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 March 31, 12:57:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*sigh*

In Greece, education is FREE! I don't get it, aren't the Unis over there State Universities? Why the heck do you people pay to get your kids to Uni? I understand if they are private, but pay for State-owned Unis? There are still no private Universities here in Greece, they're debacling whether to allow them or not over the past few years, so it seems pretty absurd whenever I read about paying for University tuition.

Let the Beast inside you free!
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 March 31, 13:12:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*sigh*

In Greece, education is FREE! I don't get it, aren't the Unis over there State Universities? Why the heck do you people pay to get your kids to Uni? I understand if they are private, but pay for State-owned Unis? There are still no private Universities here in Greece, they're debacling whether to allow them or not over the past few years, so it seems pretty absurd whenever I read about paying for University tuition.

Sigh - America is ANOTHER country.

Mind you the UK is going exactly the same way (which I strongly disapprove of).

Inteen for AL, yay!
TheCheat
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 March 31, 13:34:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In State-owned universities (e.g. the University of [insert state name] system), the tuition is usually cheaper than other universities, but we still have to pay nonetheless.

AFIAK, teens can only not go to college when they currently have an F in school.
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 March 31, 13:48:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sucks. Sucks big time. Land Of The Free...? Well, obviously not Education!

Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 March 31, 15:42:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sucks. Sucks big time. Land Of The Free...? Well, obviously not Education!

Nope. It's part of the reason why many young people there are in debt up to their ears before they are 25. I went to a state-run community college because I was just that poor, and I was STILL $2500 in debt after a year, regardless of grants. Tongue

holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 March 31, 16:16:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ur not kidding . i think the average debt for sombody leaving uni in the uk is somthing like 10k(mainly student loans).  its not exactly a good start in life is it. kind of makes me glad i never went to uni   
knitro
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 March 31, 17:40:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I"m in debt up to 60k after my college was finished, i'm 28..and it was state...i just attended for a little longer than normal. sucks!

Karen

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"
AllenABQ
Feckless Fool

Contemplator of Fuzzy Things

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 March 31, 18:33:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I finished college and grad school back in 1993, I was in debt for $35,000 and I had lots of scholarships and tuition-remission benefits during those seven years of schooling.

Having worked in higher ed following that, I've seen kids these days coming out of school with twice as much debt as I had.

Education in the US is definitely not cheap.  Some states are better than others in terms of cost, but lots of big state schools are just as expensive as private schools now.  University of Washington comes to mind.  Also bear in mind that here in the US, you often get a cheaper tuition rate for a state school IF you are a resident of that state.  For example, if you live in Arizona and apply to go to school at University of Colorado you end up paying double what kids from Colorado pay for tuition.
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

Lipless expert in stupid questions

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 March 31, 18:47:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hrm, makes me kindda warm and fuzzy inside to realise just how nice we have it in denmark.

Here not only is the schools free to attend, but you can take extra courses rather cheap, and college / uni is also free. Add tot aht thte possibilty of getting grants to cover your living expences from the state, and we are basically paying people a monthly salary to be a student.

Of course all this is offset by the gargantuan tax we then have to pay, but at least an education is not something that only the rich or privileged ( sp?)can get. we pay roughly between 30 to 50 % tax to pay for this system, but it has saved my a$$ education wise more than once...

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
noname
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 March 31, 21:32:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Public colleges in the US are not all that cheap either. I'm in New York, and the city/state schools are $2,000 a semester.
Firestorm
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 April 01, 00:04:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, it sure is insane how much uni costs in North America. I'm going to uni in Canada and I pay $2,500 (Canadian) per semester. And that's not including the books, which cost another $500! AND they're gonna make us pay $200 extra next year (bastards).
I can't even imagine how much it would cost if I had to live in a dorm... thankfully I can just take a bus there and live at home.

Dr.Beast - Back where I come from (Poland) Uni is free too for the state universities... ah, Europe.... But I've heard they're contemplating whether to make students pay in a few years.

Personally I think it's a conspiracy... If they make education expensive then only the rich-elite will be able to go to uni. Then only the rich-elite will have the top jobs and leadership positions... And it will be much easier for them to manipulate the uneducated population..

Ok, rant over  Tongue
TheCheat
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 April 01, 00:54:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Public colleges in the US are not all that cheap either. I'm in New York, and the city/state schools are $2,000 a semester.

This is cheap compared to most decent colleges in other states. I'd say here in Missouri (where I live), the average per semester for the well-known universities probably hovers around $5000-$7000.
nikita
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 April 01, 01:07:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As someone who(se parents) spent close to 120K on 4 years of higher education, I'd like my Sims to feel the burn and the tightening of their wallets from University.  And those semesterly 1200 simoleon grants just pile up in my dorms.  Especially when I'm playing 3 or 4 Sims.

Maybe even the ability to customize tuition per campus.  I can only assume La Fiesta Tech is some Sim version of  UC Santa Cruz (no offense to anyone who might have attended/partied there) and probably shouldn't be as pricey as a first-class institution like Academie Le Tour.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 April 01, 02:41:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe even the ability to customize tuition per campus.  I can only assume La Fiesta Tech is some Sim version of  UC Santa Cruz (no offense to anyone who might have attended/partied there) and probably shouldn't be as pricey as a first-class institution like Academie Le Tour.
But Academie Le Tour seems European in nature, and things apparently work differently in Europe.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
sintrinity
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 April 01, 02:48:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are places that Uni is FREE!?!?  Now, I know Canada has free medical care and I heard other countries have much shorter work weeks/hours but free education??

*Sigh*  I have paid out the nose for my education and I don't even know much about the world outside the states.  Now I want a refund  Undecided

Maybe I should immigrate before my 4 boys get out of public school.... hmmmm
nikita
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 April 01, 03:02:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But Academie Le Tour seems European in nature, and things apparently work differently in Europe.

You could easily equate Academie with any of the original Ivy League schools in the U.S.  That's how I think of it.  That's why I only send my Fortune and Knowledge Sims there and every building is a work of art...done by someone else that I just downloaded.
noname
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 April 01, 03:04:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is cheap compared to most decent colleges in other states. I'd say here in Missouri (where I live), the average per semester for the well-known universities probably hovers around $5000-$7000.

Bear in mind, I'm not talking about private college cost in NY, which is out-of-this-world.
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 April 01, 11:23:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dr.Beast - Back where I come from (Poland) Uni is free too for the state universities... ah, Europe.... But I've heard they're contemplating whether to make students pay in a few years.

Personally I think it's a conspiracy... If they make education expensive then only the rich-elite will be able to go to uni. Then only the rich-elite will have the top jobs and leadership positions... And it will be much easier for them to manipulate the uneducated population..

Ok, rant over  Tongue

In the UK, we now pay for our higher education (more and more each year it seems) instead of funding people to improve their skills and education and it does discourage people.  OTOH, the government says it wants to increase the proportion of people attending university in every generation and has set universities high admissions targets and created an elaborate system of loans so students can indebt themselves to go.  Students come out of uni with large debts.  The government says this is ok because graduates are capable of earning higher wages than average and can afford to pay it back but doesn't seem to have twigged that more graduates in the working population means employers can offer them less money to do the same jobs because there's more competition.

Rant over?  I've not even started.  I better go and sit down.

Inteen for AL, yay!
cristalfiona
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 April 03, 13:25:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, rant over  Tongue

In the UK, we now pay for our higher education (more and more each year it seems) instead of funding people to improve their skills and education and it does discourage people. 

Yep, i will finish uni in the uk next year with over £20,000 of debt, not including any overdraft, or credit card bills. I even have to pay half my university fees this year, while i'm out of the country on placements, so im paying £1,500 to get 1 visit and 3 or 4 phone calls every 6 months. Isnt that value for money? And my sister, who will start in september, will leave with over £30,000. It is really stupid, and makes me want to leave the country. Where was education free again?
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 April 03, 13:51:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Greece, scandinavian countries, Germany, France...most of Europe I think actually. Nah, GB is the U.S.A. underdog, they're not Europe!  Tongue

Marg
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 April 03, 21:26:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now, I know Canada has free medical care

Not in my lifetime.    We all have our provincial health plans which we pay fees for every month.    If you want extra coverage for glasses, dentures, etc you have to have another policy which again you pay monthly fees for.    The only medical care that people receive free are the ones who have the health insurance paid for by our welfare system.  And again that's not really free.    The working population are actually charged for that when they pay their yearly taxes.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: