More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 19:18:06

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  I Got a New Video Card and Now My Game Won't Load
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: I Got a New Video Card and Now My Game Won't Load  (Read 5609 times)
geekily
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
I Got a New Video Card and Now My Game Won't Load
« on: 2006 March 30, 15:06:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wasn't too thrilled with the speed my game's been running at - I can't even get my really large lots to load.  I upgraded from 512 mb to a gig of RAM earlier in the week thinking that would help, but no such luck.  Last night, my boyfriend switched out my ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 7200 for an NVIDIDA GeForce3 Ti 200 that he had sitting around his house.  My screen looks beautiful now, but the game won't load.  You can click on the Sims icon all you want, but nothing will ever come up.  Do I need to reinstall my games because of my new hardware, or is there an easier way to make it work? And if I do need to reinstall, do I need to reinstall just the EP or the base game, too?  (I just have UNI, if it makes a difference.  I had NL, but after several rounds with EA support I was told the reason it wasn't working is because they upped the requirements with NL and my comp didn't meet them. :/ But now I'm just rambling.) Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: 2006 March 30, 15:12:46 by geekily » Logged
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: I Got a New Video Card and Now My Game Won't Load
« Reply #1 on: 2006 March 30, 23:52:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The sims to be the "Old Car Effect" I've been experiencing. Basically, the game doesn't wanna load sometimes for some reason, and you gotta bang away on the icon, sometimes multiple times, to make it run, rather like an old car.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 March 31, 00:10:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

percussive maintenance

Unsouper
buddha pest
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 March 31, 02:22:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This has always happened to me.

I seem to have better luck clicking on the icon in the start menu rather than the desktop icon, but not always.

It helps too to wait awhile between 'bangs' on the icon.
Aldebaran
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 March 31, 03:11:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Try to bring up the taskmanager (ctrl-alt-del), and see if there's already a running sims2 process. It's usually two process, one is the exe, in your case thesims2ep1.exe, the other is ~e.5something. If you see them, nuke them, then try to start the game again. Sometimes it can get stuck in the memory without loading, and prevents further attempts at starting the game until a reboot happens. The video card change really shouldn't have killed the game (nor any other hardware upgrade).
yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 March 31, 07:16:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If nothing shows in task manager, try deleting the groups.cache file.  Sometimes that works wonders.  (in the My Documents/EA Games/ Sims2 folder)
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 March 31, 13:04:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

New videocard? Delete userProps.xml in the config folder. Sometimes TS2 isn't smart enough to flush it itself.
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 April 04, 07:40:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My experience has been that the game doesn't pick up new hardware and/or new drivers on its own.  When I upgraded either one I had to re-install.  You should be okay with simply re-installing Uni, not the whole thing.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: