More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 20:57:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  WTF? can't use phone
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: WTF? can't use phone  (Read 9791 times)
Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
WTF? can't use phone
« on: 2005 August 16, 01:09:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a couple of sims in my neighborhood that can't use the phone...when I mouse over the phone they "jump."  It's not all the sims in the neighborhood, just a couple of them.  I haven't done anything different since last night, except install the new Sim PE, which I promptly uninstalled and replaced with my old Sim PE after reading a few posts here. I have the error log if that would help.

*edit*

used lot debugger to "fix broken mood boosts" and he can use the phone again. *scratches head*

*edit again*

ok so maybe not.  He was able to pick up the phone and such but only after midnight.  The next morning he couldn't use the phone again, and every time I mouse over the phone he jumps out of whatever action he's doing, and resets. GRRRR.
« Last Edit: 2005 August 16, 02:05:17 by Liss » Logged

Someone sucks more than I do.
http://wytchieone.deviantart.com/gallery
SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: WTF? can't use phone
« Reply #1 on: 2005 August 16, 03:32:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could it be the same problem I had with my Primary Guilty Party not being able to use the phone?

At first I thought it was that he knew too many people, but I think the solution was to delete all relationships with corrupted sims.  (That is, sims who had corrupted character files; not the sims whom he personally corrupted.)

See here: http://hullabaloo.simshost.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5080
Bane~Child
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 August 16, 04:07:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(That is, sims who had corrupted character files; not the sims whom he personally corrupted.)

You are a hoot, GregSim, how exactly do your Sims get corrupted?  Is it Danny's Girls again?  Oh wait, you are only using the Cook now aren't you - what happened to the Manse?  Were you the one asking about having NPC's stay for specified hours until you asked them to leave or something like that?  I thought you could do that with the DMC NPC's?

Love is the Virtue of the Heart
Sincerity, the Virtue of the Mind
Decision, the Virtue of the Will
Courage, the Virtue of the Spirit
The Organic Commandment - 1948, Frank Lloyd Wright
Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2005 August 16, 04:09:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I looked at that, I don't know if that is the problem.  How do I know which characters are corrupted? 

This is a fresh neighborhood, not very old, in fact I just had my first second generation baby. 

I don't really know the ins and outs of deleting memories and stuff like that...is there somewhere I can read up on it?  I've just rolled back my sim pe to .40.

What do these things that say "invisible" mean?

*edit* by the way, here is the error log if anyone cares Cheesy
« Last Edit: 2005 August 16, 04:45:25 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 August 16, 04:39:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Invisible memories indicate gossip/chat memories that belong to somebody else and are used as conversational topics. Invisible tokens are little fiddlybits that represent various aspects of your sim not openly displayed as a standard stat, like dancing skills, and other such. It is safe to delete gossip memories (invisible, has icon with valid subject and object), but do not delete tokens unless you know exactly what you're doing.

I looked over the error log. It appears to be some kind of weird error pertaining to a line that is not in the standard code. Therefore, I place the blame on an Evil Hack which is not awesome.
« Last Edit: 2005 August 16, 04:47:11 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 August 16, 04:52:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(That is, sims who had corrupted character files; not the sims whom he personally corrupted.)

You are a hoot, GregSim, how exactly do your Sims get corrupted?  Is it Danny's Girls again?  Oh wait, you are only using the Cook now aren't you - what happened to the Manse?  Were you the one asking about having NPC's stay for specified hours until you asked them to leave or something like that?  I thought you could do that with the DMC NPC's?

Good point.  If if you don't have a bed for them, the DMA NPC's will go away when they get tired.  You can also dismiss them, of course.

How Gregsim managed to corrupt half the town is rather convoluted story.  But what the heck, if I'm going to wander off topic, I might as well beat the topic into a quivvering mass of unrecognizable jelly!  Let's do this job right!

It all started when I wanted to try the teenwoohoo_6 patch, and he was the only teenage boy in town.  He was suddently very popular.

Being the only teenage boy in town does have its advantages

At that time, he was a "Romance" sim, because I had not yet learned that "Romance" sims have little to do with real romance.  He stayed that way well into adulthood.  Long before Danny invented his toys, I had built a brothel in Happy Valley.  Gregsim was the easily-bribed major of the town.

"It's good to be the King!"

Then She came along and put a padlock on his zipper and an end to this triflin' ways.  Nevertheless, to this day half the women in town have this obsessive desire to give him a backrub.

As for how some of the character files got corrupted, I really don't know.  It might have happened by duplicating occupied house lots.  Or they might be remnants of The Bomb That Wiped Out Happy Valley.  Or in one of the many game crashes where the only recourse was the power switch.
Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2005 August 16, 05:02:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I looked over the error log. It appears to be some kind of weird error pertaining to a line that is not in the standard code. Therefore, I place the blame on an Evil Hack which is not awesome.

bah. ok I guess I need to clean out my downloads folder. *sigh*

SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 August 16, 05:11:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Invisible memories indicate gossip/chat memories that belong to somebody else and are used as conversational topics. Invisible tokens are little fiddlybits that represent various aspects of your sim not openly displayed as a standard stat, like dancing skills, and other such. It is safe to delete gossip memories (invisible, has icon with valid subject and object), but do not delete tokens unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Yeah, what JM said.  When I cleaned out Gregsim's cluttered memories I left all the tokens alone.  

I only removed memories related to interactions with "unknown" sims and umptygazillion memories of people get A+ grades, every person he ever met, and junk like that.  

I also deleted all relationships with "unknown" sims from his Relationships table.  This might be what actually solved the problem.  When you mouse over the phone, the game makes a list of actions you can take, including making a list of everybody you might call.  That requires running through the list of everybody you know.  I'm guessing it's the "unknown" characters that cause the jump.

Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2005 August 16, 05:15:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Like maybe "Unknown" sim that mothered his children? that is the only unknown listed Sad

SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 August 16, 05:20:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suspect that's a link to "Mystery Sim."  Nevertheless, you could try backing up the neighborhood and the delete that relationship, and see what happens.
Bane~Child
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 August 16, 05:34:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good point.  If if you don't have a bed for them, the DMA NPC's will go away when they get tired.  You can also dismiss them, of course.

How Gregsim managed to corrupt half the town is rather convoluted story.  But what the heck, if I'm going to wander off topic, I might as well beat the topic into a quivvering mass of unrecognizable jelly!  Let's do this job right!

It all started when I wanted to try the teenwoohoo_6 patch, and he was the only teenage boy in town.  He was suddently very popular.

Being the only teenage boy in town does have its advantages
"It's good to be the King!"

Nevertheless, to this day half the women in town have this obsessive desire to give him a backrub.

Well he is CaptainHero/King, even with She.  But, nevermind the backrubs - The genetic evidence must be interesting, too.

Your pictures never fail to give me a good laugh.  I know you told me before, but I still can't believe how you get those great shots.  They are priceless.  I am sorry about 'The Bomb' - it was 11 reinstalls for me with 3 manual uninstalls.  Have not had any crashes in 3 months - since using the most Awesome tools.  I am so glad I gave in, but even more so at finding JM and TwoJeffs first.  I have not used any but their fixes, Inge's and Merola's objects and Carrigon's no-fire fix.

Thanks for the chuckles - again and again

Bane~Child
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 August 16, 05:41:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suspect that's a link to "Mystery Sim."  Nevertheless, you could try backing up the neighborhood and the delete that relationship, and see what happens.

In SimPE I noticed at the end of the character list there are alot of Unknowns some had partial info, some I know were lost characters.  I left them alone, but it still bugs me that they are there.  I suspected that they were 'reserved' for future generated NPCs.  Can those be deleted?

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 August 16, 05:47:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recently had this problem, and updating InTeenimater resolved the problem.
SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 August 16, 06:21:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In SimPE I noticed at the end of the character list there are alot of Unknowns some had partial info, some I know were lost characters.  I left them alone, but it still bugs me that they are there.  I suspected that they were 'reserved' for future generated NPCs.  Can those be deleted?

If you delete just the character files you'll start running to problems with every sim who has a relationship with the unknown sims.  The problems show up as jump bugs and even hard crashes.

However, if you have to patience to edit every sim's memories and relationships to remove all references to the to the "Unknown" sims (an incredibly tedious process), it should be safe to delete the files.

I keep thinking it would be possible to write a program that would scan a neighborhood for unknown ("no character data") sims, make a list of them, and then scan every sim's and every lot's data for references to them, and then delete both the blank sims and all references to them.  A SimPE plug-in would probably be easiest, at least for someone who knows how to write plugin-ins for SimPE.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 August 16, 10:54:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And what have I told you? These hacks are EEEEEVIL and far less awesome. When something goes wrong with hacks, it's nearly *ALWAYS* one of these.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 August 16, 12:13:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And what have I told you? These hacks are EEEEEVIL and far less awesome. When something goes wrong with hacks, it's nearly *ALWAYS* one of these.
Give me a more awesome alternative, and I will use it instead. Smiley
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 August 16, 14:37:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you delete just the character files you'll start running to problems with every sim who has a relationship with the unknown sims.  The problems show up as jump bugs and even hard crashes.

However, if you have to patience to edit every sim's memories and relationships to remove all references to the to the "Unknown" sims (an incredibly tedious process), it should be safe to delete the files.

I keep thinking it would be possible to write a program that would scan a neighborhood for unknown ("no character data") sims, make a list of them, and then scan every sim's and every lot's data for references to them, and then delete both the blank sims and all references to them.  A SimPE plug-in would probably be easiest, at least for someone who knows how to write plugin-ins for SimPE.

I have been hoping for such a program. I have so many "potato heads" and I want them gone. Gone, I tell you. Gone! I have gone through and deleted memories of unknowns, relations with unknowns, family ties with unknowns  and had to sift through the unknowns in the family ties editor to get rid of his ties. It's so aggravating because he/she is still there, just with no ties to anything that I can see! I don't know how to completely eradicate an unknown sim! Can it even be done?
Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2005 August 16, 18:41:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That fixed it thanks Cheesy *duck and run*

Bane~Child
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 August 22, 00:33:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been hoping for such a program.  Can it even be done?

I have no doubt that this will be addressed eventually, as SimPE now allows you to sort your downloads folder by categories, making it easier to put in subfolders.  I received so many conflicting answers on where to put this or that, what could go where, and the best place to put the CEP.  I started out with everything sorted in folders and subfolders and so I just turned everything loose.  My Downloads folder has all my Sim home stuff and my Saved Sims folder has all my Sim body stuff - all in all a total of over 19,000 files and still growing.

I hope, too, that something can be done.  It would only require a scripting program to call on the data, but I am not a scriptor (it's a hubby hobby) and there are projects with greater priority for the developers.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: