More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 08:28:47

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Computer Woes and how to get around certain *ahem* restrictions
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Computer Woes and how to get around certain *ahem* restrictions  (Read 21617 times)
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
Computer Woes and how to get around certain *ahem* restrictions
« on: 2006 March 29, 04:55:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, my computer went kablooie on the weekend.  Long story short, my CD drive stopped reading as a valid drive and kept getting corrupted somehow (the computer store guy said something about the CD burner software).

Anyway, I reinstalled Windows XP Pro and reformatted my computer and now everything is working fine.  I couldn't find all of my recovery disks and so I used my mom's Dell XP Pro installation CD.  Problem is, the activation required doesn't work with my comp because it's already recognized on hers.  How do I get around this activation?  Is it going to make my OS stop working?  Or will the only repercussion be that I can't download certain Microsoft programs (like Anti-Spyware as a I already discovered)?

Another question, about partitioning.  When I was reformatting, I saw I had 2 partitions (my OS came already installed, so this is the first I've seen of it), and I have no idea how to make partitions bigger, smaller, delete them, use them, etc.  The smaller of the two was about 4gigs, and then the main was the rest.

What is it for?  What's the best config to make it all run smoothly?  Someone at work mentioned installing the OS on the smaller one, and then keeping all your main stuff on the big one, so if you have to reinstall, you don't lose all your stuff (seeing as, you know, my CD drive was corrupt).

Thanks in advance for reading this rambling post that may not make any sense at all!  Tongue
Simlover
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile WWW
Re: Computer Woes and how to get around certain *ahem* restrictions
« Reply #1 on: 2006 March 29, 05:04:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As for the partitioning its supposed to be so that information can be found quickly and also it makes it useful if you want to reformat say c drive but want to keep all your info etc untouched on the other.  The partitioning can take place either before reformatting using f'disk or I believe there are programs such as partition magic which will allow you (i think) to partition from withing the windows operating system.

Axe murdered since 2006
smvb
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 March 29, 05:15:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another question, about partitioning.  When I was reformatting, I saw I had 2 partitions (my OS came already installed, so this is the first I've seen of it), and I have no idea how to make partitions bigger, smaller, delete them, use them, etc.  The smaller of the two was about 4gigs, and then the main was the rest.

What is it for?  What's the best config to make it all run smoothly?  Someone at work mentioned installing the OS on the smaller one, and then keeping all your main stuff on the big one, so if you have to reinstall, you don't lose all your stuff (seeing as, you know, my CD drive was corrupt).

I'm not sure what yours is for, but on the two recent laptops I've bought, there is a small, hidden partition where system  restore utilities are kept. On my new Toshiba, there is an option to delete the hidden partition if you don't  need it anymore (after burning a set of recovery CDs--they don't provide them, they just give you a utility that creates them) Perhaps that was what was on your smaller partition?

Pretend I wrote something witty....
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 March 29, 05:21:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

smvb, that baby's mouth is "killing" me...Smiley. Never saw such a sweet mouth! Is that you or your  baby?
« Last Edit: 2006 March 29, 05:30:38 by gali » Logged
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 March 29, 05:24:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I do actually have 3 partitions. The third is very tiny, so I didn't mention it.  I have no idea what was on the second.
smvb
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 March 29, 05:26:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

smvb, that baby's mouth is "killing" me...Smiley. Never saw such a sweet mouth! Is that you or you baby?

Smiley Yes, it's me--a long, long time ago....

Pretend I wrote something witty....
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 March 29, 06:08:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you're probably hosed on getting your mom's win to activate on your system. But I'd try copying the wpa file off of hers and onto yours and see if it works. Run a search for wpa.* on hers to find it, copy, then put it into the same folder youfound it in on hers on yours. It's probably in the windows folder. Might work, probably not.....

With the XP disks, there is an option to erase and re install only the XP folder, leaving your other files in tack, even your 'my documents'--the new 're-install' will simply make a new my documents folder then you can move your old my docs over into the new one. You can get utilities that will allow you to add registry entries forall your other programs, altho I don't use them so my experience with them is limited. As for those partitions, man I'd wipe if I was you. It's kinda like wasting space. A partion limits the use of the space within the partition to use by only the programs in that partition.
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 March 29, 06:10:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, my computer went kablooie on the weekend.  Long story short, my CD drive stopped reading as a valid drive and kept getting corrupted somehow (the computer store guy said something about the CD burner software).

Anyway, I reinstalled Windows XP Pro and reformatted my computer and now everything is working fine.  I couldn't find all of my recovery disks and so I used my mom's Dell XP Pro installation CD.  Problem is, the activation required doesn't work with my comp because it's already recognized on hers.  How do I get around this activation?  Is it going to make my OS stop working?  Or will the only repercussion be that I can't download certain Microsoft programs (like Anti-Spyware as a I already discovered)?

Thanks in advance for reading this rambling post that may not make any sense at all!  Tongue

If you've already used the key for XP Pro, and the setup accepted it, then the only problem you'll have now is using Windows Update, and possibly some other Windows services. On my old XP Home, it gave me 30 days to register my keycode online with Windows, but when I installed XP Pro over XP Home, it never asked me to register. The only problem I've ever had with not registering is not being able to use Windows Update. If you already have SP1 (is SP2 out?) then you dont have to worry about this, but if you're concerned with keeping windows up to date, you might want to call microsoft/dell up and explain what happened- usually they'll let you register that way.
  Blue, the above advice is from a young man who put together and has been running his computer from a "borrowed" copy of the installation cd for a couple of years.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 March 29, 06:38:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As for those partitions, man I'd wipe if I was you. It's kinda like wasting space. A partion limits the use of the space within the partition to use by only the programs in that partition.
Actually, that's not true.  You can use space on any partition whether or not the program using it is on the same partition.  I have used my computer for years with multiple partitions.  I set it up so that my C drive contains Windows and all my programs.  I put all my user data such as the My Documents folder, pictures, downloaded files, etc. on my D drive.  I actually have a secondary hard drive (E:) which I have a backup installation of WinXP on in case the first one gets hosed, then I have a backdoor into the system.  I also have a secondary partition on the secondary hard drive (F:) which contains two or three Sims neighborhood backups as well as backups of my Sims downloads and my email and other things.

And wiping a partition will not get rid of a partition, by the way.  You need to either use a program like Partition Magic, Paragon Hard Disk Manager Pro, or Partition Commander, or else redo the whole hard drive and use fdisk or whatever Windows XP uses now.  I recommend the former, however.  Much fewer headaches. 
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 March 29, 08:29:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recommend reformatting and fdisking anyway. It seems like you've installed Windoze XP Spyware Edition.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 March 29, 08:53:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recommend reformatting and fdisking anyway. It seems like you've installed Windoze XP Spyware Edition.
You mean there is a non-spyware edition???
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 March 29, 09:54:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You mean there is a non-spyware edition???
Yeah, I have one that doesn't make unsolicited attempts to phone home. Evil thing, that Windows-XP-Spyware-Edition. Maybe I could arrange a copy of it for Fat Head.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 March 29, 10:52:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Micro$ux is Evil.
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 March 30, 03:20:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I assume by "Spyware Edition" he means those versions of Windows that come pre-installed on all of those brand name computers (Dell, HP, etc.) that are cloged up with useless programs and clutter your desktop with icons that have offers for software and other BS.

The first thing I did when I bought my computer (a Compaq) was reformating and fdisking it.  Then I installed a clean copy of XP Pro.  (a copy of which I obtained by "questionable means")
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 March 30, 06:29:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Even "regular" WinXP wants to phone home every time it has an error, so it can tell M$ what you were doing and all the information loaded in your computer at the time.  They claim no personally identifiable information is included, but I don't trust them.  I turn off Error reporting.  Even Windows Update gives me the creeps because I don't know what all they are doing while "scanning" my computer.  It does make it easier though than the good ol' days when you had to search for updates and figure out which ones you needed and which ones you already had and which ones were for your version of Windows (was that Win95a, b, or c???)  Don't forget that version of Windows 95 you could only get with a new PC.  But anyway, it seems with making things easier, you always give away some of your privacy.  Sad
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 March 30, 06:53:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Partition are very useful.  Personally my C: drive have 20 gig on which my windows is install and the rest of the space is on my d: drive.

Very useful when you need to reformat and don't want to loose everything, I actually keep a back-up of most of my things on d: drive and also on cd in case my hardrive get burninated.  Though by reinstalling windows you probably will have to reinstall Sims 2 since the registry of it will not be in c: anymore and your game won't start unless you edit that registry and place back the missing information (I cannot tell you how to do that, it can be done but I don't exactly know how). My game is install on my D: drive since there is a lot more space there than in my c:

As for how to elimaninate or create new partitions, I think it depends on which windows version you have.  I personnally use the professional one.  But this must be done at first, meaning when you want to reinstall window you should make it so your computer read cd 1st (might have to go in the bios to trigger that) and place the cd in and reboot so it will actually use the cd to start your computer.  A blue screen window set-up will appear and in there you can check the partition you have, create or delete some and also format your drives.  It is better to delete the ones you don't want anymore before you create new ones so the small partitions meg are available to make a big chunk if you wish.

I am sure if you google or go on the windows site you will find more details on how partitions works, how to delete and create new ones without making your computer go into a BFBVFS.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 March 30, 08:25:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very useful when you need to reformat and don't want to loose everything, I actually keep a back-up of most of my things on d: drive and also on cd in case my hardrive get burninated.  Though by reinstalling windows you probably will have to reinstall Sims 2 since the registry of it will not be in c: anymore and your game won't start unless you edit that registry and place back the missing information (I cannot tell you how to do that, it can be done but I don't exactly know how). My game is install on my D: drive since there is a lot more space there than in my c:
I also have The Sims on my D: drive.  It is easier to reinstall programs instead of trying to edit registry info.  You can install it over the top of your existing installation, but you have to install all the EPs exactly as they were.  I'm not sure how that would work in terms of patches and such.  It might be better to delete the folder from your Program files and then reinstall.  You won't be able to use the uninstaller because the program doesn't exist according to Windows at that point. 

I also have 20 GB on my C: drive, and it is amazing how quickly Windows and other programs fill it up. 
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 March 30, 09:11:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rainbow, when I can, I uninstall all the complete collection of Sims 2 before I reinstall Windows but it is of course not always possible.

Deleting the eagames or Sims2 fodler after installing Windows will work too, I have done it maybe once or twice in the past without problems.
Danni
Corpulent Cretin

INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2006 March 30, 10:23:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a copy of Windows XP Non Spyware edition (also known as Corporate edition if you want to ebay it Tongue).

It tries to phone home on errors, but didn't need activation, and all the software updates work. I've since made a Non-IE version of XP, that was about 200 megabytes. I might be able to upload it if you need it.

I like to be able to read people's posts.
Chezzie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 April 01, 00:49:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

my step-sister had to reformat her computer and her(legal) copy of XP would not register either. we tried every activation code we had and finally we called microsoft told them we reformatted and now it won't work and they gave her a new code, i think they asked for the old one but i can't remember, anyway microsoft will give you an activation code
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 April 01, 07:21:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They will, but only after you've CALLED THEM so that they know exactly what your phone number is and where you live now. This is why it is EVIL.

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 April 01, 13:35:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm dealing with something similar. I installed a new harddrive on my laptop a few weeks ago. My laptop has xp pro, but did not come with a disk, "to discourage piracy". So am I just screwed as far as getting xp pro on my new harddrive? I had a disk from the Compaq laptop I had right before this one, but it's xp home, and I figured I'd go ahead and install that one. Unfortunately, the serial number it asked for was one printed on the bottom of the laptop I no longer have. So now my brand new harddrive is back in it's box, and I have my slow-ass 4200 rpm harddrive back in.

What the hell do they expect me to do? Buy a new copy of xp for each harddrive?!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 April 01, 14:10:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, we expect you to attend to channel more often if you want to get Windoze XP, obviously. Silly Brynne.

Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 April 01, 14:43:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm dealing with something similar. I installed a new harddrive on my laptop a few weeks ago. My laptop has xp pro, but did not come with a disk, "to discourage piracy".

Which means you have to pirate it if you ever have to reinstall completely! I wonder if anything goes through the heads of people who make decisions like this - other than breezes on windy days. Tongue

DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 April 01, 16:20:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

***ECHELON transmission begins***
Most of the stuff I have (games, music CDs, DVDs) are original, but give more money to Gates? Fuck no! Arrr! Well, the Windoze that are installed at my work computer are original, but I didn't pay for those, it's the Uni's money, they can do whatever the heck they want with it!
***ECHELON transmission ends***

Let the Beast inside you free!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: