More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 23, 09:20:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Looking for something useful
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Looking for something useful  (Read 4166 times)
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
Looking for something useful
« on: 2006 March 22, 03:55:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was wondering if anyone knew of any programs that allow you to sift your downloads and erraticate any useless junk, like orphaned meshes and textures. I have been recommended DatGen before, but whenever I try to run the download maid it explodes in a firey ball of crap and is generally of no use at all. And as we all know, EA's download manager is complete garbage. I use Clean Installer to manage my downloads most of the time, but unfortunately it doesn't have the capacity to do what I want to do.

Any suggestions?
JadeEliott
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
Re: Looking for something useful
« Reply #1 on: 2006 March 22, 04:53:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is no other program that I am aware of that does what you want. The best thing is to be organized in the first place, really.

~The Isle of Thyme~
http://www.isleofthyme.net

The Isle of Thyme Succinctly Summed Up by ZiggyDoodle:
Exquisite.  Simply exquisite (but not at all simple!).
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 March 22, 07:21:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

None of the programs available for the task are very efficient. Just find the one you're happy with and stick with it.

Spending some time sorting does help quite a bit. When content is safe within separate directories, it's much faster to get rid of crap files since they'll only land in the root folder (aka Downloads). The only problem I have with using sub folders is checking for duplicates, you still need to parse the entire directory recursively to check for dupes. Fortunately, that small hassle stopped me from going on download binges and filling the game with useless crap. Smiley

Instant gratification takes too long.
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 March 22, 07:36:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My download folder is organized into about 20 subfolders. The problem is that I know some of those subfolders contain meshes that I am no longer using due to deleting CC in game or in bodyshop. I was hoping for a more efficient way of rooting them out.
DMDye
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 March 22, 07:49:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think Sim File Maid2 is made for programs like DatGen... just for 'normal' TS2 downloads like houses, skins, objects and similar stuff.

Yes! I agree - it gets kind of frustrating, the amount of time (at least triple the download time) you spend cleaning your downloads with the: Clean Installer, Sim PE, and Jfade's Hack Cleaner! The funny thing, is they *all* find different things as dupicates!

After using all 3, my OFB seems to be surviving; so I won't knock them. I spend lots of time on my game (before play time) -  but it seems to be stable.
I installed OFB without removing *anything* (like CC) from my game. As I did the patch.

I will ask where to get DatGen, so I can post a more 'knowledgeable' opinion later.
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 March 22, 08:34:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Download Maid is a tool in DatGen, and as far as I can tell it is completely useless.
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 March 22, 14:25:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use the download maid mostly for identifying stuff with high poly counts, but it is real bad about bogging down if the folders are too big. So I just feed it little bits at a time and it works ok.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 March 22, 14:30:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always try to keep a mesh and all it's associated textures in separate folders. It's a pain to do but it helps loads later on. Then instead of deleting something in the bodyshop, you can delete the whole folder.

Believe me I understand your pain, file management in this game is an absolute nightmare and there simply is no one single good tool for doing it. I'm suprised someone hasn't tried to come up with one yet and sell it. Given how willing this community is to shell out their money I be they'd make a bundle. Hell, I think even I would pay for a program that made sorting, deleting, organizing and viewing downloads simple and efficient.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 March 22, 14:52:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Believe me I understand your pain, file management in this game is an absolute nightmare and there simply is no one single good tool for doing it. I'm suprised someone hasn't tried to come up with one yet and sell it. Given how willing this community is to shell out their money I be they'd make a bundle. Hell, I think even I would pay for a program that made sorting, deleting, organizing and viewing downloads simple and efficient.

Word.  Tongue

Datgen's File Maid was looking like a promising alternative until development of Datgen was halted.

Instant gratification takes too long.
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 March 23, 01:40:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I would be willing to pay for a program that made sorting and cleaning up downloads less painful. The File Maid seemed like the answer to my "issues" when it promised to find orphaned files, but alas, no dice. I had some pretty painful issues with an existing unused mesh conflicting with a new download and had to spend a rediculous amount of time trying to find the right "orphaned" mesh.

I just want all that crap out of my game!

It does make perverse sense though, the file "maid" refusing to clean anything. I wonder what would have happened had it been a file "nanny".
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2006 March 23, 03:37:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SimPe has a function under its Scan Folders menu that is supposed to identify orphan textures, but it flagged a bunch of stuff incorrectly for me, so I don't know...

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 March 23, 03:58:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The way I deal with this is to install new downloads in the main folder, load the game and find them to see how they look in the game and decide then if I'm going to keep them forever or if i'll never use them. Then I browse with Clean installer, if I want to keep it I move it to the right folder. Anything left over is deleted.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: