More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 23:20:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Techie help please
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Techie help please  (Read 17530 times)
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
Techie help please
« on: 2006 March 18, 17:23:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK -

I've just spent the last 45 minutes fighting with Norten Internet Security and it is the last straw. Can anyone recommend a good firewall and virus scanning program that I can get?

Thanks bunches!
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
Re: Techie help please
« Reply #1 on: 2006 March 18, 17:38:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We've been using McAfee here at the Uni, but the deal's gone off so we've switched to either Avast! or AVG. I've installed Avast! on my 'puter and I really like it. It includes a firewall as well. Its only drawback is slow scan time, it takes an hour and a half to scan 30 GB of stuff (but at the same time I'm browsing the internet and using Winamp without a hitch). BTW, they're both free.
As for other antivirus programs I've used, I'd recommend Ewido. It's not free (15 day trial after which you just have to manually download any updates and do scans, but I can live with that!), but it's helped me in the past when Norton was caught pants down during a trojan attack!

Let the Beast inside you free!
vector
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 March 18, 17:45:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've installed Avast! on my 'puter and I really like it. It includes a firewall as well. Its only drawback is slow scan time, it takes an hour and a half to scan 30 GB of stuff (but at the same time I'm browsing the internet and using Winamp

My mum swears by Avast. Says it's great. Smiley

I use AVG, since Norton is a bloated, system-resource-hogging, nannying pile of shit. But I'm sure you've learned that, and that's why you've decided to bin it. Wink

I also use Sygate personal firewall (free).
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 March 18, 17:56:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

since Norton is a bloated, system-resource-hogging, nannying pile of shit.

Angry Yep.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I just uninstalled the damn thing and am feeling a little naked.
gypsylady
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 March 18, 18:04:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use the free version of Avast and have had no problems with it. It seems to catch things that nortons misses.
rma
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 March 18, 18:05:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hear good things about bit-defender. It's a complete internet security package with an ani-virus, firewall, apyware dtector, ect.

http://www.bitdefender.com It ain't free though.
chickengirl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 March 18, 18:25:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

AVG and ZoneAlarm treat me right.

Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 March 18, 18:41:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what I use, AVG and Zone Alarm.  I also have the Microsoft AntiSpyware program.  I've used other virus programs, including P...cillin (can't remember the name), which I got the full version of free from my ISP, but I always go back to AVG free edition.  It's always served me well, on all my computers.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 March 18, 19:03:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Avast (Thanks HOOK!) and Zonealarm. At first I didnt like zonealarm but now I have found that its pretty useful for stopping programs I have running to try and access the internet which is a pretty nice feature.
Orbit
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 March 18, 19:06:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security.  Even though it hogs resources, it does a good job.  Recently, the supreme techie in my family totally converted to Avast! on their computer because it was free, but I'm skeptical because something that's free can't really do as good of a job as Norton....
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 March 18, 19:08:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Zone Alarm is a good firewall, I prefer McAfee because it's easier for me to use but I'm kind of strange with firewalls.  The great thing about Zone Alarm is that even though you can get it free it's still among the better firewalls.  I wouldn't touch Norton with a 10ft barge pole.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 March 18, 20:27:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been using the free version of avast! for a few years now and love it, it also protects your instant messengers (handy if you share files with people while IMing)

http://www.avast.com/

I am going to check out Zone Alarm one of these days  Roll Eyes
Aldebaran
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 March 18, 21:08:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ZoneAlarm+NOD32+Microsoft's Antispyware for me. Nothing ever comes in, guaranteed Cheesy They can even do they work silently and don't jump into my face for every little thing. Okay, ZoneAlarm used to, but just until I tamed it. I feel like a bad commercial.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 March 19, 00:41:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Zone Alarm beats Norton any day - and that's the free version, which you can find at http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

I have ZA pro on my home system, but use the free version combined with AVG at my office (broadband) connection.
anelca
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 March 19, 01:24:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i've got ewido at the moment as it did a fab job of removing a difficult case of spyware that housecall by trend micro couldn't remove.
i have adaware and did  have escorcher as well but i inadvertently deleted that and now i can't seem to download it anymore
i might look into some of the others as well once ewido runs out of its freebie

i have used zone alarms one but i wasn't too keen on it

never liked Norton and it always seems to come bundled with every conputer i've ever had. it's the first thing i always get rid of
pamysue
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 March 19, 03:17:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've switched all the computers at work and home to Computer Associates products.  Their antivirus is very good and they are also the makers of Pest Patrol.  IMO it's the best spyware product available.

http://store.digitalriver.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayHomePage&SiteID=caconsum&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE

Good luck   Smiley

It's a shame that stupidity isn't painful.
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2006 March 19, 06:19:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've read really good things about Zone Alarm Pro and Panda (both are user- and resource-friendly and do an excellent job).  I've used the free version of Zone Alarm for years now and really love it.  I agree it's very handy when it comes to software trying to access the internet (I'd like to know who programmers think they are, anyway, to build stuff like that into software.  I'm using the software, it does what I tell it to do.)  Up until now I've never run anti-virus software--never had a need.  I think I'll download Avast, though, and give it a shot.

One good reference I've found is www.newegg.com  You can search for anything they have for sale and read the reviews. Smiley

vector
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 March 19, 13:09:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security.  Even though it hogs resources, it does a good job.  Recently, the supreme techie in my family totally converted to Avast! on their computer because it was free, but I'm skeptical because something that's free can't really do as good of a job as Norton....

Sure it can.

The difference between Avast and Norton is that Norton wants to be everything it can possibly be, all at the same time. This makes it clunky and annoying. It also likes to decide for you what you should be doing with your computer, which will annoy anybody who has their own ideas about what's appropriate and what isn't. Avast! on the other hand, is just an antivirus program. It's not trying to be a soopa-elite-computer-media-multi-function-strategic-security-solution. It just looks for viruses and then removes them. Unlike Norton, which wants to quarantine them all instead of FIXING THEM. Gah.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 March 19, 15:45:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you all for the links. I have McAffee, but I'm not happy with it. We are having problems; I want things my way, it wants things its way. I know that many people use McAffee and are completely satisfied, I however, am not. Personal thing, ya know.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 March 19, 16:00:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you all for the links. I have McAffee, but I'm not happy with it. We are having problems; I want things my way, it wants things its way. I know that many people use McAffee and are completely satisfied, I however, am not. Personal thing, ya know.

I hear you. It did a pretty lame job too protecting my PC. I'm actually glad the Uni dumped it in favor of Avast! or AVG. My line of defense consists of Avast!, ewido (though I rarely use it any more, but it's a good backup player if the damage is done again), Spybot-SD, and Ad-aware SE. I *think* Avast! has a firewall, so I didn't bother getting Zone Alarm (I've heard only good things regarding this program). But, as always, my best defense is not trudging into murky sites.

Let the Beast inside you free!
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 March 19, 17:58:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know what else is nice about the avast zonealarm combo (I also have MS antispyware so maybe its the one thats doing it) but there are a lot of decent free programs out there that sneak in what is considered spyware, which they force you to install to get the main program to work. Well avast/ZA/MS Antipyware nixes the tag along spyware program during install so you get a clean install of the main program everytime without the "required" spyware. HA HA take that!
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 March 19, 18:31:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, that is nice, Nectere. I hope it's the avast! that does it, or the zone alarm. I just finished installing both, and although they seemed to have some problems getting along, avast! offered a work-around tutorial for that. So here's to it working.

I know what you mean Dr. Beast. I try to stay away from murky (I like that label) sites myself, but you can't always tell. As Nectere mentioned, sometimes the sites are perfectly legit, but try to invade anyways. I use spybot too, and it has not disappointed me yet.

McAffee found it prudent to pop up and warn me that I should buy their updated version, to remind me that the 60-day trial expired, etc. Thank you, but if I want something, I'll go and get it, stay off my computer. Meanwhile, their protection was haphazard at best.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 March 19, 21:02:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Zone Alarm is the devil. No really, it is. I did tech support at Earthlink (before they decided to give our jobs to people in india), and earthlink sends out zone alarm bundled with it's crappy software. Seriously, in my experience with the average computer user, Zone Alarm is more trouble than it's worth, many people had problems figuring out how to configure it, or configured it improperly, and the whole process is a bit counter-intuitive. Also, it is kind of a POS, but it is free and you get what you pay for sometimes.

Macafee and Norton are both pretty bloated, and with Macafee in particular, installing the firewall with spam blocker usually makes it impossible for Outlook to fetch your mail. I'm not really a big fan of software firewalls in general, I'd rather have a good hardware firewall, but if you are going to install one Sygate is pretty good.

As for antiviruses, I use Etrust InnoculateIT. It works quite well, though it may not be as user friendly as some other products. I never had any problems with Pandasoft, but I would stay away from Macafee and Norton, as they tend to be resource hogs.

With both a firewall and a good antivirus, you will still want to run a couple spyware cleaners once a month or so. I use Spybot and Adaware. It is recommended to use at least two scanning programs, as they can miss things that the other will pick up. Ewido is something I don't generally keep installed, but will employ if nothing else is working. Also, killbox is a good tool if (and only if!) you know what you are doing with it. Keep in mind though that adware cleaners are not antiviruses, and won't protect you against some of the worst nasties.

I guess in the end, what you need is really directly related to what kind of user you are. If you are a light user, ie, someone who uses the computer to surf the net, play a few games, check email and that kind of thing, you aren't going to need a heavy duty IT grade antivirus and firewall. The average user probably has a better chance of being struck by lightening than being hacked, and really you just need something that scans incomming files and email for viruses, trojans and that kind of thing. If you run any kind of server, do a lot of PVP filesharing, run linux or unix, then you'll want something a little more potent to ward off more agressive potential threats.

Anyway, I am going to stop blathering on now, hopefully you got something useful out of all that.
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 March 19, 22:10:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm glad I found this thread.

Norton has been bitching at me for the last couple of days because its subscription has run out.  So instead of going through the toil of reinstalling it I went and downloaded Avast as was suggested here.

It found seven different trojans on its first scan....  All in the Temporary Internet Files folder.  And I'm not sure how long they've been there either since I'm sure Norton ignored them.

Maybe I should give this Zonealarm a try.  I use the Windows Firewall that comes with XP, but its pretty annoying.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 March 19, 22:13:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Avast just found a Trojan in my Program files that won't seem to go away.  I am freaking out a little because it's a keylogger program apparently, but Norton never found it in like a fucking year that I had that stupid program!  Angry
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: