More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 10:02:45

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Comments on package files
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Comments on package files  (Read 3445 times)
Marvin Kosh
Feckless Fool

View Profile WWW
Comments on package files
« on: 2005 August 30, 21:49:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a Summary tab on the Properties pop-up for packages, and it has a section where you can add comments.  When you then mouseover the file in My Computer, these comments are visible (example below).

What I'm wondering is, are there any adverse effects to doing this?  Might it cause the game to barf up the package file, for example?  Or is it safe to do and, given that you may not have an RTFM kicking around, worth doing so you remember what a hack actually does?

What I noticed just now is that it does cause the ol' date modified to be altered, which is fine if you're keeping track of version numbers but hell if you're going by datestamps Sad
« Last Edit: 2005 August 30, 22:04:17 by Marvin Kosh » Logged

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Comments on package files
« Reply #1 on: 2005 August 30, 22:18:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I simplu save a copy of everything I download, including hacks.  The original readme is in the folder with the copy, so I never have any problem finding out what a hack does.

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 August 30, 22:44:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm afraid that this would be hard to maintain since every time JMP or anyone comes up with an update to their fixes, your changes will be lost when the file gets overwritten, or else you'd have to take the time every time to copy the text into the new file.  I think this would become tedious.  Sad Other than that, it's a great idea, and it looks really cool.  I like your Windows theme.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 August 30, 23:00:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My way, I just maintain a back up of all my hacks and when I overwrite a hack in my Downloads folder, I then copy the new file and readme into the back-up file and the pertinent folder, so I get the updated version and lose the old one.

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 August 30, 23:08:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what I do.  I keep a folder with all my "Sims stuff" with all original zip/rar files organized by author, then I put the package file in the matching author's folder in my Downloads\Hacks folder.  I'm definitely not that organized in other areas of my life, though!
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 August 30, 23:15:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Me too!  My PC is the only tidy thing in the house!

I gave up on keeping stuff in original zips and rars as the search tool is useless for finding stuff if you need to, so now I unzip/unrar them, leave them in the folder that appears, delete the zip/rar and after I've put them in my game I compress the whole Saved Downloads folder so it doesn't take up a whole lot more space than the zips did.

Zephyr Zodiac
Marvin Kosh
Feckless Fool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2005 August 31, 03:34:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't generally have a problem remembering JM's fixes.  It's the other miscellaneous stuff which doesn't bear an immediately helpful name I was more concerned about.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: