More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 23, 12:45:07

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  I found a way to connect the three neighborhoods together. (Serious Thread)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: I found a way to connect the three neighborhoods together. (Serious Thread)  (Read 22364 times)
wyrmking
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
I found a way to connect the three neighborhoods together. (Serious Thread)
« on: 2006 March 13, 00:15:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a regular user at http://www.gaysimsclub2.net/ and the Admin, Scotty, figured I should share my findings with other Sims 2 Community and not just them.

If you're a member of gaysimsclub2, here's the original thread. http://www.gaysimsclub2.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=11&t=2204&st=0

Now here's a re-post of that thread:

Not sure if anyone has done this before, or at all. Or in a different way. Anyway whatever.

Anyway, yes I have managed to connect all three default neighborhoods out of sheer boredom. Families/Households can now travel freely between Pleasantview, Strangetown, and Veronaville.

Special note about the pictures. I dunno why some of the pics shrunk when I uploaded them on photobucket. But I have a bigger 640x480 pics that you can clearly see things. If you want to see them PM me so I can email them or something. Or contact me at wyrmking@aol.com.

As you can see, it still looks like three separate neighborhoods. But don't be fooled. Pleasantview is actually the main neighborhood, while the other two is just associated with it.

Here's sample screenshots:

I had one of the students in Sim State University, call up a taxi, and the menu pops up to which lot I would go. As you can see there are options to go to not just Pleasantview, Downtown, and Sim State, but also Strangetown and Veronaville. I remind you, PM me so I can show you a bigger version of those pics. I dunno why they shrunk.

A picture of Kent Capp, member of the Capp family from Veronaville. I moved him to Strangetown (not by packaging a lot, that would cause him to loose his ties with his family)

You see he still has his family connections.

And other families from Veronaville, I have not given them a home yet. But I'm just showing you that they appear in Strangetown's family bin (and they show up in Pleasantview's and Veronaville's).

Don Lothario calling Erin Singles from Strangetown. When I was experimenting by having Erin go to Pleasantview's community lot, they met. I was gonna invite her over but I forgot that Erin does not have a phone yet in her new house.

Now these are my favorite screenshots. I moved in Bella from Strangetown with Loner (forgot his name). And then I resurrected Bella from Pleasantview by using SimPE. And now they all live together!

They look slightly different, not too much. Pleasantview Bella is on the left.

Now, as you all know, Strangetown Bella has no family tree or any connection to anyone from Pleasantview.

Now, Pleasantview Bella does.

Anyway, I haven't played much with it. So I don't have a lot of screenshots. I'll be taking more soon. I'm still trying to see if there are any bugs or whatever. The Summerdream household did get a little buggy in the beginning, the whole house got flooded with that terrain water. It was weird, but it's all fixed now.

So if anybody wants to know how I did, just say so.
wyrmking
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: I found a way to connect the three neighborhoods together. (Serious Thread)
« Reply #1 on: 2006 March 13, 00:16:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A re-post of the instruction:

How to connect your neighborhoods.

By Laurence aka Wyrm King

This is pretty simple, it might be a little time consuming, depending on the size of your neighborhoods and how many neighborhoods you're going to connect together.

Before we start. BACK UP YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD FOLDER. Just in case.

Note that Pleasantview and Strangetown is not associated with any Downtown or University lots yet. We'll get to that later. Just read on ahead for now.

Also note that I only have University and Nightlife.

1.) Pick which neighborhood will be the primary neighborhood. I suggest you pick the one you play most or the one with the most families you play at. I used Pleasantview is my primary neighborhood. Its neighborhood number is N001.

2.) Now, I'm gonna connect Pleasantview with Strangetown. Take screenshots of the neighborhood view of Strangetown. Make sure you get every angle and every house. You'll need to know where everything is for later. Also get a pen and paper, mark down which vacant lots go where, this is just for authenticity when putting everything together.

3.) Now using either the Tombstone of L and D or the Advanced Teleporter Painting from http://www.simlogical.com/ start putting families together in houses. I suggest the Advanced Teleporter Painting, the people you will summon would be grouped by Households so they're easier to find, but it has to be the advanced version, it has an option to move in people that you've summoned, and it also has the option to clear out the lot of all non-residents. Just put together, in one house, the people you don't want to lose touch with each other.

I don't care much about relationships between friends, because that can be fixed later, but I suggest you group together people that are related through blood or marriage so that their family trees remain intact. So look at various family trees and see whom is related to whom. And group all the families together. Erin Singles is sister to the Beaker Guy, Nervous Subject is adopted by Olive Specter, etc. etc. So group them accordingly. And with the Tombstone of L and D or the Advanced Teleporter they let you add more than eight people per household.

Or, group every family plus their friends together in one house if you absolutely must. Don't forget Strangetown Bella if you want to keep her. If not, you can just resurrect Pleasantview Bella, and replace Strangetown Bella, plus she has the family ties anyway.

4.) Now that everything is grouped. Start putting the houses in the house bin. Occupied, Community, and Unoccupied Lots. But before you do this make sure you have the screenshots and notes about where everything goes when you put everything back in its place. Empty Lots cannot be put in the Housebin, so just take a note on its size, and what type of lot it is and the lot name you gave it. Now once you're done putting every lot in the housebin, exit the game.

5.) Now open up C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods. CUT and paste Strangetown's folder (N002) from your neighborhood folder, to your desktop for backup. Copy and paste the following files from the N002 folder into Pleasantview's folder (N001) N002_Neighborhood.png, N002_Neighborhood.package, and N002_Neighborhood.reia if you like the moving pictures on the Neighborhood chooser.

Now copy and paste N002's Storyline folder to N001's Storyline folder. Let it overwrite. The pictures and stories will appear in their respective neighborhoods.

6.) Now start your game. Go into Strangetown and put everybody back in their places using the notes and screenshots you've taken to help you out. Then go into any of the lots you've put back. I suggest the one with the biggest grouping first. When you go in, it might take a while to load because the game is recreating the character files and such. Now, you can now move out some people in the households and put back the families into their respective households.

7.) Now that your neighborhood is almost back to normal, try and call up transportation or use an automobile to go to a community lot to make sure that both Pleasantview and Strangetown community lots are available. Now if it works, then it's a success.

8.) Now, if Strangetown happens to be associated with a Downtown or University lot. Just do the same thing for those sub-neighborhoods what you did for Strangetown. Take screenshots and take notes. Group households accordingly, and put them in the House Bin. If your Young Adult is related to anyone in the main Neighborhood or Downtown, then put the Young Adult in that group. Then put every lot in the housebin including communities and empty lots. Exit your game when done. It's probably best that you should do this part in the beginning while you're grouping your main neighborhood.

9.) Now go into Strangetown's N002 folder. And copy and paste N002_University001.package, N002_University001.png, N002_Downtown001.pacakge and N002_Downtown001.png to Pleasantview's N001 folder. Rename these files N001_University001.package, N001_University001.png, N001_Downtown001.pacakge and N001_Downtown001.png. If Pleasantview has those files already then rename the files  N001_University002.package, N001_University002.png, N001_Downtown002.pacakge and N001_Downtown002.png. Or depending on how many university and downtown lots is associated with Pleasantview, then just rename them accordingly.

10.) Now start your game, and using the notes and pictures you've taken. Put everything back in their places. Now test it out if you can access every community lot from Downtown or University.

My neighborhood folder looks like this after I've connected all three neighborhoods, completely associated with Downtown and all three Universities. Yours should look similar.

I know the instruction is not too well, but I will try to help out as much as I can if you have any questions or if something's not working.

So far the only downside I see is that all the townies seem to be from Pleasantview. I'm not sure of if Strangetown townies get recreated during the process.
wyrmking
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 March 13, 00:17:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I mostly spend my time on MTS2 or gaysimsclub2. You can send me some PM if you have any question.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 March 13, 02:42:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is not really a new method, and dragging all the sims together in this manner requires that you basically glob every single sim from a neighborhood into the same family before attempting this move process, or you'll get duplicate "undead files" of everyone they knew.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
wyrmking
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 March 13, 03:17:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you talking about this one? http://www.lifeofasim.com/how/neighborhood01.php

'Coz mine can travel freely between one neighborhood to another.
chickengirl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 March 13, 03:26:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Special note about the pictures. I dunno why some of the pics shrunk when I uploaded them on photobucket. But I have a bigger 640x480 pics that you can clearly see things. If you want to see them PM me so I can email them or something. Or contact me at wyrmking@aol.com.

The pictures shrunk because they were too big. Photobucket automatically resizes pictures that are bigger than 512KB.

sanmonroe
Circus Freak
Lipless Loser

Hates Furries.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 March 13, 03:29:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interesting. So how do you switch between main towns? Are they selectable like normal at the main menu? Or are they all accessable in gmae like the subhoods?

And thinking about it, is there anything specific prevening you from renaming say one of the base towns to a downtown file name and placing it as a subdivision? (probably is, But I am not awesome like fish.

When you do something because of the internet that is wrong.
When you make love to a man in a giraffe outfit.
When you discover you masterbated online to a picture of a relative.

Webcest.
wyrmking
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 March 13, 04:56:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The pictures shrunk because they were too big. Photobucket automatically resizes pictures that are bigger than 512KB.

Thanks. Didn't know that. I've never used Photobucket before.

Interesting. So how do you switch between main towns? Are they selectable like normal at the main menu? Or are they all accessable in gmae like the subhoods?

And thinking about it, is there anything specific prevening you from renaming say one of the base towns to a downtown file name and placing it as a subdivision? (probably is, But I am not awesome like fish.

You switch between main towns through the neighborhood chooser. But this time, they're all connected and the characters can go back and forth between neighborhoods.

Or if you're playing a household, and you want to go to a community lot, the neighborhoods and subneighborhoods will be listed together on the menu.

I'm not sure why base towns cannot be downtown sub-neighborhoods. Undecided
« Last Edit: 2006 March 13, 05:17:04 by wyrmking » Logged
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 March 13, 10:37:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sound great, but too confusing for the likes of me...

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 March 13, 12:44:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it just me, or does this sound like a BFBVFS waiting to happen? (Unless you delete the memories via SimPE first.)

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
anelca
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 March 13, 14:05:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

not something i could be arsed to try quite frankly, even in the name of experimentation, which i'm not normally averse to doing. theres always reinstall when confronted with the tits up scenario
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 March 13, 15:22:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with Lythdan (for once) and I didn't see the step that removed very irksome memories, so have a happy BFBVFS!
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 March 13, 15:37:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now that everything is grouped. Start putting the houses in the house bin. Occupied, Community, and Unoccupied Lots

It's the putting occupied lots in the lot bin that worries me.  Doesn't that cause duplication of the character files of every sim they know outside their own household?  Even in a freshly installed, unplayed Strangetown there are relationships between the households - so (if I were silly/brave enough to try this) I'd not only have the (real) Johnny Smith in the Smith household, I'd also have a 2nd Johnny Smith character file from Ophelia's relationships, a 3rd Johnny Smith character file from the Grunt boys, etc.  When you consider how many characters are already known to other families in unplayed versions of Strangetown and Veronaville, you're starting to look at a heck of a lot of character files.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
FroggySim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 March 13, 16:40:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have tried many, many ways to combine the three maxis hood. This one as well.
But it does create quite some broken memories and duplicate characters.
Actually, I havenīt found a way to have all the maxis characters meet each other without
these issues.
If someone did, please tell.
ari_
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 March 13, 16:51:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have tried many, many ways to combine the three maxis hood. This one as well.
But it does create quite some broken memories and duplicate characters.
Actually, I havenīt found a way to have all the maxis characters meet each other without
these issues.
If someone did, please tell.

I exported all Maxis sims I wanted with SimSurgery, took notes of the personality/zodiac/family ties/interests/etc. And then I recreated them in CAS, and stitched them back together with SimPE. Did the same to the sims I had currently been playing - the neighborhood was getting unstable, and I just recreated everything before installing NL.

Alternatively, it *should* be possibly to move Maxis sims into one neighborhood if you put *all* sims of that neighborhood on one lot (probably with Inge's Teleport Plus Shrub). By all, I mean all playable characters, and all characters they've ever met/have memories of. That would mean including at least some Townies/NPCs, and adding the resurrected dead. That way, you'd get no duplicate or abandoned memories.

Or, alteralternatively, you could only put the sims you want on a lot together, then go into SimPE and clean out their memories, and then only import the selected sims, but you'd have to be damn careful to make sure you *really* delete all references.

I get wanting to put Maxis sims together - after all, I added the interesting ones to my own custom neighborhood as well. I just don't think it makes sense to link all three neighborhoods in the way described in this thread - if you're gonna combine them, why keep the annoyance of having to switch between neighborhoods? The three different terrains aren't really *that* interesting.
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 March 13, 18:38:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is not really a new method, and dragging all the sims together in this manner requires that you basically glob every single sim from a neighborhood into the same family before attempting this move process, or you'll get duplicate "undead files" of everyone they knew.

Two questions, Most Awesome One:
1) Did you mean Townies, NPCs, Professors...EVERY sim? or every playable sim?
2) What do you think...is this do-able without having to edit memories? I'm a SimPE virgin, so be gentle. Smiley

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 March 13, 18:43:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just had a thought!  What if I appendaged Strangetown externally to Plesantview or Veronaville as a downtown.  It would keep all the sims and I could delete the townies.  There would be no smashing of memories as all the families are still intact in one piece.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 March 13, 20:11:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought that's what this does?

FroggySim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 March 14, 20:51:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thatīs interesting, I ended up with the Sim Surgery Solution as well. Iīve had
them all in one neighborhood since nightlife.
But I just think itīs a real pain to do... there should be something easier. I guess moving them on one lot would help but it turned out thirty or more sims were too much for my computer to deal with.
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 March 14, 21:29:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This method would surely cause BFBVFS bc there would be tons of duplicate character files.  I would rather stick to the LOASmethod and then create custom sub hoods using Veronaville and Strangetown templates.  Strangetown would probably be Downtown and Veronaville would be business district.  In fact since I have done the LOAS method I will do that. I havent added sub hoods yet anyway.

I am going to test this on a second account just to see how bad it can get... Wink

ISFJ
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 March 14, 21:43:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If someone wanted to comine their neighborhoods and retain their family ties, there's really no other way than using this method or lot-binning families.  It'll create a BFBVFS anyway that it's done because of those memories, except for the SimSurgery method which forces you to reconstruct family trees and stuff.

I'm not so sure about "deleting" files to merge neighborhoods either, as far as I know the sim description file is still in the Neighborhood even after you oust the file.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 March 14, 22:35:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This method would surely cause BFBVFS bc there would be tons of duplicate character files.  I would rather stick to the LOASmethod and then create custom sub hoods using Veronaville and Strangetown templates.  Strangetown would probably be Downtown and Veronaville would be business district.  In fact since I have done the LOAS method I will do that. I havent added sub hoods yet anyway.

I am going to test this on a second account just to see how bad it can get... Wink

A BFBVFS- but WORTH it

surely we can find a way to do this with minimal damage?

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 March 14, 23:06:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are the maxis characters so appealing that this is worth it?
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 March 14, 23:26:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ooooh!  I can just tell that this is one of "those" questions.

I think people either love or hate the Maxis characters.
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 March 14, 23:53:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thats what I was thinking after I replied earlier.  Surely if one or two characters were that good you could transfer the Sim in question to your chosen neighborhood! Undecided

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: