More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 24, 00:24:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  The Armory
| | |-+  No Playable Shoppers
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: No Playable Shoppers  (Read 82854 times)
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: No Playable Shoppers
« Reply #25 on: 2006 March 11, 21:01:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read in the newspaper about a guy writing guide for games, like half-life 2 etc. He would play the game, and get help from the company, but he says sometimes he couldn't get much help if the company people are very busy. hehe....so, maybe Maxis also farmed out the guide writing to some guy/gal?  Roll Eyes I was stunned how low the pay can sometimes go, it says $3000 to $12000  Undecided

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 March 11, 22:44:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read in the newspaper about a guy writing guide for games, like half-life 2 etc. He would play the game, and get help from the company, but he says sometimes he couldn't get much help if the company people are very busy. hehe....so, maybe Maxis also farmed out the guide writing to some guy/gal?  Roll Eyes I was stunned how low the pay can sometimes go, it says $3000 to $12000  Undecided

Well, then. No wonder it's unreliable.
JenW
Irritating Ignoramus

Grilled cheese lovin' cyborg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 2006 March 12, 12:47:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a tech writer so I do more or less what Prima does (though for far less exciting things  Cheesy) and it's hard to get info from developers...they are indeed very very busy, often don't see documentation as important or worth their time reviewing, and often don't keep the writers updated on changes that are made to the software (sometimes even very big changes). So while the mistakes and inaccuracies of the guide annoys the hell out of me, I can sort of understand it. We should all be kicking Maxis, not Prima Grin

<Pescado> With ninja throwing breadsticks, YOU are the dipping sauce! | The Literate Sim
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 March 12, 13:59:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

it's hard to get info from developers...they are indeed very very busy, often don't see documentation as important or worth their time reviewing,

Apparently not. Have you looked at that piss poor scrap of paper that they're trying to pass off as a manual that comes with OFB.  Roll Eyes

Also, it seems that sometimes Maxis themselves is not informed on certain aspects of the game so they pass on their misinformation to Prima. Maxis seemed quite blissfully igornant of the fact that the cheesecake causing twins feature in fact was broken and did not work. Perhaps had they tried actually playing the game.  Roll Eyes

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Dolphin
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 March 12, 16:05:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is an awesome hack!  Since I've had it, I haven't had any sim complain that they didn't have enough money to buy my overpriced stuff.  Smiley  I guess townies have unlimited funds?

I assume you must be modifying separate BHAVs than twojeffs visitor adjuster, because (at least so far) the two hacks don't seem to conflict.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 March 12, 17:26:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I assume you must be modifying separate BHAVs than twojeffs visitor adjuster, because (at least so far) the two hacks don't seem to conflict.
That thought occurred to me shortly after I posted it, so I grabbed the Jeffian Visitor Controller hack and checked it, and they are, indeed, located on seperate BHAVs, and don't conflict as a result. A fortuitous coincidence, at that.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Parsimonious Kate
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 March 13, 09:09:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you so much! Highly useful

The trouble is with Maxis, as far as I can tell, a guy in a suit at EA says 'You have 8 weeks to create this expansion pack... ready, steady... code!' and they throw themselves in to creating as much of their idea as possible, then at the deadline the man in the suit comes back and tells them to stop and whatever isn't finished stays that way, whatever they didn't have time for doesn't get done when its released.
anelca
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 March 13, 14:16:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

it's hard to get info from developers...they are indeed very very busy, often don't see documentation as important or worth their time reviewing,

Apparently not. Have you looked at that piss poor scrap of paper that they're trying to pass off as a manual that comes with OFB.  Roll Eyes

Also, it seems that sometimes Maxis themselves is not informed on certain aspects of the game so they pass on their misinformation to Prima. Maxis seemed quite blissfully igornant of the fact that the cheesecake causing twins feature in fact was broken and did not work. Perhaps had they tried actually playing the game.  Roll Eyes

that piss poor piece of paper remains untouched in the case, as has the more glossier versions in previous cases

hmm...i quite like the playable sims coming to buy stuff, but it has been concerning me exactly how much crap they will buy. wtf does  a single sim do with 2 little sister computers and another, custom teen only, one?? not to mention the 3 alarm clocks, all bought on the same outing
Klaatu
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 March 14, 18:48:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you move a townie in to your lot, does he/she bring with them all the stuff they've ever bought? If so, it could be quite a windfall when you finally sell it all.

I can see it now: Jane Golddigger goes around marrying all the townies she can, selling all their stuff, then they somehow wind up dead from trying to fix that TV with zero mech skill! LOL
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 March 14, 18:58:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

According to the Prima Guide, the townies and downtownies have bottomless pockets. Nice windfall, that.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 March 14, 23:24:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you move a townie in to your lot, does he/she bring with them all the stuff they've ever bought? If so, it could be quite a windfall when you finally sell it all.

I can see it now: Jane Golddigger goes around marrying all the townies she can, selling all their stuff, then they somehow wind up dead from trying to fix that TV with zero mech skill! LOL

Supposedly, the Prima guide also says that they only keep the last 3 items they bought, except I'm finding that not to be the case. They do have bottomless pockets too I can confirm that, hell I sold a business deed to some teen townie for 100,000 lol. Those get sold back though, they don't keep them. But the items they do.

NPCs also have unlimited spending money. Normally, they don't show up as shoppers but they will if you call them or if they walk by and you greet them. Be careful though as walkbys have been known to shoplift and leave without paying.  Tongue

Oh and the funny thing is, you can marry a townie with LOADS of expensive junk in their inventory and it doesn't count as marrying a rich sim.  Roll Eyes

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 March 15, 01:18:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hmm...i quite like the playable sims coming to buy stuff, but it has been concerning me exactly how much crap they will buy. wtf does  a single sim do with 2 little sister computers and another, custom teen only, one?? not to mention the 3 alarm clocks, all bought on the same outing
The fact of the matter is that playable sims buying things is irreversibly broken. Firstly, they buy these things at an illogical loss, meaning your money is simply going down the tubes, since anything they buy cannot be returned for their money back. Secondly, they tend to buy useless things, perhaps because your stores tend to sell useless things. Thirdly, you have to manually junk everything from their inventories if you want ANY of your money back.

The short version is that for logic and sanity reasons, playable sims simply should not buy things unsolicited. On the off chance you DO want them to buy your things, I have left a trigger method so that you can designate specific sims as designated shoppers on a temporary basis. But as a general rule, they really, really, shouldn't, for the above reasons.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
PlayLives
Irritating Ignoramus

I don't speak Awesome.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 March 15, 04:04:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So if you teleport your sim to a business to buy something, they have to have the money-order trigger in their inventory, otherwise they won't be able to buy?
rma
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 March 15, 06:54:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wait, so townies keep everything they ever bought? Please say that isn't so, because it sounds like a really bad idea. What happens if I sell them some custom content and later delete it? Would that cause the whole 'hood to go KABLOOY?
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 March 15, 11:26:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would it be possible to extend this to banning townie kids and teens from visiting business lots during school hours?  Whenever a townie kid shows up on one of my home business lots during the day, I want to yell at him, "Aren't you supposed to be in school?!"

Karen
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 March 15, 12:23:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So if you teleport your sim to a business to buy something, they have to have the money-order trigger in their inventory, otherwise they won't be able to buy?
If you invite any sim to a business, he may start buying, but he will never show up on his own with the intent of being a customer. If you put the trigger in their inventory, they will show up on their own.

Would it be possible to extend this to banning townie kids and teens from visiting business lots during school hours?  Whenever a townie kid shows up on one of my home business lots during the day, I want to yell at him, "Aren't you supposed to be in school?!"
Ah, yes, the joys of delinquency in general. Maybe they show up during recess, and since they return back at the same time they left, they can spend hours there and still make it back in time for the bell.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 March 15, 23:44:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it possible to make something that they all show up, but when they enter your lot their inventory is cleared?  Then it would be great to have the money order flag for playable sims that you don't want their inventory cleared.
That would wipe out the legitimate contents of their inventory and quite possibly other things.

zoebme
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 March 16, 15:58:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried the shopping thing in my game by noting down the money I had in a household, then changed to my business, waited until one of my sims from that house bought something, then went back to the house. There I saw that exactly the money my sim spent in the shop had been deducted from the household money. After that, I sold the two things my sim bought from the inventory and then...I didn't make a loss, I actually won money. Everything was sold at the catalogue price and it seems that my sim hadn't paid this price for it. So it's not always a bad thing to have your sim buy crap...

Edit: Maybe that has got something to do with the shop owner having bought things in whole sale mode?
« Last Edit: 2006 March 16, 16:12:00 by zoebme » Logged
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 March 16, 17:18:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, then. If you have an inventory token already in place for this, why not have an inventory token in there that entirely restricts the addition of objects to the inventory. If you're playing the sim and want to take him shopping, then you can just take it out for the moment and go. Would this be possible at all? I very much like having playables visit - my sims are making lots of useful friendships - but the inventory thing bothers me.
Ruann
Dimwitted Dunce

An overactive male imagination

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: 2006 March 16, 17:29:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried the shopping thing in my game by noting down the money I had in a household, then changed to my business, waited until one of my sims from that house bought something, then went back to the house. There I saw that exactly the money my sim spent in the shop had been deducted from the household money. After that, I sold the two things my sim bought from the inventory and then...I didn't make a loss, I actually won money. Everything was sold at the catalogue price and it seems that my sim hadn't paid this price for it. So it's not always a bad thing to have your sim buy crap...

Edit: Maybe that has got something to do with the shop owner having bought things in whole sale mode?

Could be.  Could also be that the price that you have the item set to on the lot is lower than the re-sale price the Sim in question has to deal with.  This is most likely if you have the Wholesale perks, since they reduce the restocking fees.
zoebme
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2006 March 16, 17:54:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could be.  Could also be that the price that you have the item set to on the lot is lower than the re-sale price the Sim in question has to deal with.  This is most likely if you have the Wholesale perks, since they reduce the restocking fees.

So my Sims can make good deals and bad deals, depending on how I run my shops. But why should I always stop them then?
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2006 March 16, 20:59:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So my Sims can make good deals and bad deals, depending on how I run my shops. But why should I always stop them then?

this hack is for if you want to stop them, don't use it if you don't mind your playables shopping at your businesses.

I tried it out and ended up removing it. I like seeing my male playables show up at the hoods whorehouse (all female visitors have been banned by TJs visitor controller, they will get their own to visit soon)
zoebme
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2006 March 17, 08:24:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

this hack is for if you want to stop them, don't use it if you don't mind your playables shopping at your businesses.

Well, you see, I was trying to work out if I want them to visit or not...

The fact of the matter is that playable sims buying things is irreversibly broken. Firstly, they buy these things at an illogical loss, meaning your money is simply going down the tubes, since anything they buy cannot be returned for their money back.

This sounded to me like it was always a bad idea to allow them to do it.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2006 March 17, 13:44:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, do remember that you can keep this in and still allow certain playables to go shopping by sticking the FFS Money Order in their inventory as a token. That way your more wealthy sims can waste their money while the poor and lower middle-class ones don't.  Wink

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
notovny
Garrulous Gimp

Report to the Budgerigar Commisar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: 2006 March 18, 12:17:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would it be possible to add an object  that overrides the prevention of playable shoppers if present on the lot? I mind if my playables are buying cars and plasma TVs, but I'd like to still allow them to show up at owned venues and restaurants.

Google Sidewiki: Allowing invisible webpage vandalism since 2009.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: