More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 23, 06:07:21

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Can anyone bring their sims back from break?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Can anyone bring their sims back from break?  (Read 10426 times)
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
Re: Can anyone bring their sims back from break?
« Reply #25 on: 2006 March 10, 18:29:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe Echo said on his thread that they *don't* work together, although there is a fairly simple fix to make them if you want and can do a bit of that kind of thing. (I can't... that's just what I understood from the thread).

Yeah, I saw that too. And honestly... I haven't tried it out per se... but barring all weird complications, theoretically you wouldn't even have to mess around with SimPE to fix it. Since echo's mod would load last, with mods loading in alphabetical order, his changes would override jfade's changes. As I understand it, the game loads the "code" that it reads from the objects.package. It then reads the Downloads folder and loads hacks in alphabetical order.

In most cases, as you may have seen with other mods, relying on this fact, it should theoretically be "safe" to have both mods in your game. I looked at both their changes, and they are essentially identical, except for echo's additional change regarding the sleep threshold. So I thought it'd just be simpler to try using them together without doing any SimPE editing. If anyone determines for certain that they are conflicting, then by all means edit the files as echo instructs. Smiley I just thought it might save people the trouble, especially for those who lack the knowledge or the confidence when it comes to using SimPE.

This method has been pretty reliable for a number of mods that would normally conflict, but have used this workaround to enable compatibility. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, this is sort of the basis of how the Flavor Packs of a certain kitten killing mod works, to customize and disable certain features. Actually, if you think about it, this is how hacks work in the first place. Tongue Essentially hacks are overriding existing code in the objects.package. So duh me, that probably would have made sense to point that out in the first place. Roll Eyes

Anyhew, I guess it depends on how you organize your hacks. If you do so by author named folder, then you may run into problems (assuming you are using an echo and a jfade folder). Personally, I sort my hacks by type:

objecthacks - standalone, completely "new" objects that are self-contained and shouldn't conflict with anything anyways
macrohacks - macro related or macro enabled hacks, essentially any macro related FFS hack, which are pretty much all self contained
gamehacks - any global hacks that modify game behaviour
meshhacks - new meshes
clothing - duh
skintones - duh
genetics - duh
testhacks - anything that i'm testing and not sure i want to definitely include yet

In this way, if I have any hacks that must load in a certain order, I have control over it, and don't have to worry about sub folders. Separating gamehacks by subfolders will get messy because if a certain hack by a certain modder must load first in one case, but then another hack should load last by the same modder, you wouldn't really be able to handle this if they are all in a folder separated from the other related hacks. Anyways, that's just my philosophy on organization. I don't have too big of a problem when it comes to this because the majority of my custom content essentially consists of gamehacks only. I pretty much avoid using other types of custom content, even if that means I have to suffer with Maxis made fugly crap. Roll Eyes I would rather deal with that than end up with Gigabytes of custom clothes, objects, genetics, and whatever else that only ends up slowing down my loading time and I never really use anyways. It's almost impossible to really use all the clothes that are provided in the first place. I have a few nice pieces that I do my best with to mix and match. Otherwise, I pretty much restrict my custom content to game modifications.[/end lecture] Tongue

Ste

Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Can anyone bring their sims back from break?
« Reply #26 on: 2006 March 11, 18:48:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Syberspunk, for the lecture......I do organize my hacks by authors, but lump all objects together, because somehow I'm worried if I have more than one copy of something in the downloads folder, it is bad for the game, and I download a lot of nice houses and clothes to play. Not like you, I hate most of the Maxis clothes.

Back to the break issue. My employees almost always come back to work after I gave them a break, unlike many of you complained here, they do take care of themselves a little bit, like using the bathroom, eat a plate (working vending machine and pay espresso would be nice to get some of the money back from them  Grin but for now, I give them free "perks"). I usually give them a break when their "dot" turns red, and they would come back with a greenish yellow dot. But, here comes my complain, their dot quickly turns red again, in a matter of one hour or two most sim time. So still, breaks are not worth it.

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: