More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 01:46:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Entire business lot poofed from existance
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Entire business lot poofed from existance  (Read 17554 times)
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Entire business lot poofed from existance
« on: 2006 March 05, 07:44:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*poof* just like that. My sims went to the lot in the taxi (not their car, did read about that one), had a nice day at work, earned three business levels, put an energizer in the breakroom, stocked the shelves with toys they made themselves (and some others, but those toys represented a lot of work), trained some of the gained selling skills, went home (with the taxi). Worked hard at making new toys for a couple of sim days to restock, got all greened up and ready to revisit... But where did it go? I had taken the deed from the simventory and put it on the wall of the house, vanished. Only business options on phone were to start new ones. Went to repurchase the lot, wasn't there. Exited the house, went looking for it in neighborhood veiw. Gone. The tiny toystore, completely vanished with not even a dent in the terrain.
Could be one of three things. One, taking the deed from the inventory to hang on the wall of the home. Two, a professor visited to shop. Three, I tried to assign a uniform to my now favorite sim, Mr. Big. The game would not let me assign one, it was the last thing I did before I left the lot. Well, four but I'm sure it wasn't my one and only hack (phone).

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

SL Diva or TS2 Drama Queen? Uh...both!

View Profile
Re: Entire business lot poofed from existance
« Reply #1 on: 2006 March 05, 08:12:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Holy crap!  Find those deeds.  I took mine out of the inventory then thought about it and put them back in.  They are the flags for ownership, as far as I can tell (not being a Simpe user or owning a Prima Guide).  Just through playing the game I realised that the person who holds the deeds in their inventory is the person who always receives new stock.  No deeds, no stock, so therefore no business?  When a Sim is ready to pass on their business to a friend or relative, they give them the deeds.  I reasoned and realised that hanging the certificates and business awards adds kudos to your business, but to remain an owner your sim must keep the deeds in his/her inventory.

If you can, locate where you put those deeds. If you locate them, get them back in your sim's inventory then check the phone or computer to see if you can still hire employees and check in on your business. It seems obvious, but if you're playing with your walls down, then make them solid and hunt like mad!

happy now :-)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 March 05, 08:51:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It could be a missing lot description entry. Is the physical FILE still present? Dig in your lots directory and see if you can find it. If you have a backup from back when the lot existed, you can try extracting the old lot entry and importing it back into the damaged file. This happened to me back in Uni, and I taped it back on. However, the procedure is not intuitive or easy to explain. So you're gonna have to figure that out for yourself.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 March 05, 10:20:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meh it was a new lot. I never backed it up because there was nothing to back up, it came with OFB. Sad, I liked the lot. Oh well, I didn't like it that much really, just nice as a starter business.
The deed is gone. I know exactly where it was, totally gone. Damn deeds. Why make them hangable if they shouldn't be?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 March 05, 10:51:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It probably self-destructed when the lot that it was associated to was deleted. Many objects are programmed to behave this way.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
FroggySim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 March 05, 16:01:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I found a german page saying that "community lots vanishing from the game" is one
of the serious OFB-Bugs. Obviously, there are loads of people there and on the BBS experiencing this and they claim that even Maxis admitted  itīs happening. Maxis (hilarious) advise is to back up the lot in the catalog (however, thatīs not gonna help with all the stock you lose, the business rank and so on). So far, it seems to happen randomly. Guess weīll have to wait for someone like JM to figure out what causes it.
E-double
Asinine Airhead

Aye!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 March 05, 16:57:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Huh

Same thing happened to me last night. I had Cassandra Goth purchase Just Flowers and More in Bluewater Village. She had it up to Level 7. She went home to rest and tried to go back the next day but it wasn't in the list to visit. So I exited her house and went straight to Bluewater to see if the lot was still there. It was as if the lot never existed. I went back to the Goth house and Cassandra still had the deed in her inventory. Here is my theory on what probably happened.

When I tried to set the uniform for Cassandra, it wouldn't let me. That was when I noticed that all of my previously saved uniforms were gone from the list. That was the first problem I noticed that something was going wrong. This happened right after I used Merola's Mind Control Mirror to make my employees selectable. It went all downhill from there. Embarrassed

I heard after the fact that making employees selectable can corrupt your lot. I just reinstalled and I won't be doing that again...
Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

SL Diva or TS2 Drama Queen? Uh...both!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 March 05, 17:22:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for letting us know Edouble.  That's really helpful.  I use Insim and haven't selected anyone yet, and I won't risk doing so now.

happy now :-)
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 March 05, 17:39:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

May be it helps - this is written in the Prima Guide:

"
- When an owner is saved on a community lot, no other playable sim can travel to that lot. The lot's name appears grayed-out in the lot selection list.

-  If an owner is saved on a community lot, you can't play owner's home lot until you reload the community lot and send him or her home. This is so even if other members of the owner's family remain on the home lot. "

May be the owner was saved, and that's the reason the lot dissapeared.
Perhaps the solution is, to sell the community lot, and buy it again.

In short - never save a business lot before leaving.
Wolfee
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 March 05, 17:41:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nice, I wish I knew about not making employess selectable because I kept doing it all day.Guess I'm in for some troubles  Undecided
windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 March 05, 17:55:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"
- When an owner is saved on a community lot, no other playable sim can travel to that lot. The lot's name appears grayed-out in the lot selection list.

-  If an owner is saved on a community lot, you can't play owner's home lot until you reload the community lot and send him or her home. This is so even if other members of the owner's family remain on the home lot. "

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!

That explains a lot.  (Lot? No pun intended.)

I tried to play a bit this morning and I couldn't have my Sim visit P.U.R.E (which Cassandra Goth owns).  Greyed out, this was upsetting because it's my favorite Sim destination...

Well, yeah, I had saved yesterday with Cassandra on her business lot.

Damn.  You really can't play this pack without the guide or a lot of friends to hold your hand.

When I play again, tonight I think, I guess I'll see if I can undo the potential mess.  Hopefully I can go back to P.U.R.E and get Cassandra out of there and everything will be okay.

Reality is for those who lack imagination.
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 March 05, 20:28:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I tried to set the uniform for Cassandra, it wouldn't let me. That was when I noticed that all of my previously saved uniforms were gone from the list. That was the first problem I noticed that something was going wrong. This happened right after I used Merola's Mind Control Mirror to make my employees selectable. It went all downhill from there. Embarrassed
Yes!! I tried to select a uniform for Mr. Big and it wouldn't let me! I figured it was because he has some kind of coding to wear that smoking jacket, before when I made him use a new outfit, he always still changed into the jacket. I didn't make anyone selectable, I bet it's to do with uniforms. Oddly enough, Cassandra is his wife.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 March 05, 20:33:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"

May be the owner was saved, and that's the reason the lot dissapeared.
Perhaps the solution is, to sell the community lot, and buy it again.

In short - never save a business lot before leaving.

No, thanks for trying though. I didn't save at all, only used a taxi because of some issues with people not being able to play their families once saved on a community lot. It's when they used cars instead of taxis to get to the lot, but I'm paranoid.
And it's not greyed anywhere. It's not for sale either. It doesn't exist at all.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2006 March 05, 20:35:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hm, I'm very curious to find out whether that bug can be tied to making employees selectable or whether it's happening even to people who never do it, since I fall into the 'never do it' category, and that's a very serious bug if it's not related to a non-supported behavior. (Heck, it's a serious bug even if it's only caused by mucking around with selectability.)

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 March 05, 20:37:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Deeds should be able to be placed out of the Inventory with harm.  I mean, all other ownership things are bad to put in the inventory, like beds, and all the other token administering stuff.
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 March 05, 20:38:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sara, I mean - doesn't Cassie can visit the Real Estate lot and sell her lot? Or can she call by a phone and sell it?

Is she can, you can sell it, then it will appear again on the screen. Then you can but it again.

Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 March 05, 20:44:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

gaki, you can't buy or sell a Lot that dosen't exist anymore...
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 March 05, 20:45:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hm, I'm very curious to find out whether that bug can be tied to making employees selectable or whether it's happening even to people who never do it, since I fall into the 'never do it' category, and that's a very serious bug if it's not related to a non-supported behavior. (Heck, it's a serious bug even if it's only caused by mucking around with selectability.)
I never selected any employees. Never had any really, just Cassandra and Mr. Big (Alan Goth in my game). I did try to give them uniforms though.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 March 05, 20:48:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sara, I mean - doesn't Cassie can visit the Real Estate lot and sell her lot? Or can she call by a phone and sell it?

Is she can, you can sell it, then it will appear again on the screen. Then you can but it again.
Yeah, it's gone. Not availible through any realestate menu on phone or computer, all options for realestate for her act like she doesn't own a lot at all, business too. Like "start a home business" shows, but not "check in on business", and when going to buy or sell lots, it's not on the list of existing lots, not even greyed out.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 March 05, 20:50:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sleepy, lol - of course you can't. But is Casie is signed as an owner of a business? If she is, it's possible for her to sell it.

...Don't make me more dumb than I am...Smiley

Edit:  Sara, just tried and failed...Smiley.
terrakosmos
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 March 06, 03:56:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This happened to me today. It was my first ever comm lot business, too.

The lot still existed, but there was nothing on it. It was like a brand new community lot with only a phone and a trashcan.

Okay, here's what happened in no particular order... Bought pre-built comm lot. Entered the lot with one playable sim on a Friday evening and left on a Sunday afternoon. Energizer was present. Bought a lot of merchandise wholesale and placed some crafted goods from the inventory. Had trouble planning uniform. Invited the rest of her household (two servos) to come and work there.
Hired some people, fired some people. Did some remodeling. Reporter came, but didn't give a review. Got to rank 5. Hired a sim, made him a manager. Sent him home for the day because he was an idiot. Had some espressos. A professor showed up, but didn't shop and left quickly.
I never saved while I was there. Took the taxi there and back.

The next day she took the taxi to the lot to find every wall, floor, and tree gone forever. She still had the deed in her inventory and was able to sell the lot back to the community. (What else could i do?) This was a pretty nifty lot, too.
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 March 06, 16:46:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I lost one of my business lots, too.  The common link seems to be the "having trouble assigning business uniform."

I searched my lot files and found that one was missing from the sequence.  I pulled it from a backup that I had an stuck it in -- it was the missing lot, alright.  I lost some modifications I'd made to the building, of course, but still had my rank, profits, etc.  Had to reset all the business uniforms, though.

Phyllis

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2006 March 06, 17:51:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't had this happen (knock on wood!) but yes the problems "planning uniform" seems to be the common link. I've assigned one or two uniforms without problems but wonder, what's happening (or not happening) when uniforms can't be assigned? Do you click on a uniform and it just doesn't apply, or what? I will keep this in mind!  I've put too much effort put into my little electronics/appliance store to have it disappear from existence!

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 March 06, 18:21:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my case, this is what happened:

I hired two new employees.  I wanted them to wear the same uniforms as my other employees, but rather than page through the clothing to find the exact same suits/dresses, I clicked on the tab that had "saved uniforms."  However, this changed their hairstyles as well as their clothes, and I didn't want that.  When I went back in and tried to change one, it wouldn't accept the change -- acted like it did, but then the girl still had the same undesirable hairstyle.  I had her change back to casual attire, went in and deleted the saved female uniforms (which I immediately regretted, because I had another employee assigned to one of those uniforms), and then tried again.  It would appear to accept the new uniform assignment, but then she would not change into it, and it did not appear in the saved uniforms.  I tried the same thing with the male employee, except I did not delete the saved uniform, but had similar results in that I could not get a new uniform to save.

I don't know what triggered this bug -- whether it was my deletion of the saved uniforms, or what.  But the glitch with the uniforms definitely seemed to be the signal that the lot was doomed.

Phyllis

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
terrakosmos
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 March 06, 20:16:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Entire lots disappearing just because plan uniform wants to pull a hissy fit.

Only in an EA game.

So I'm guessing the temp workaround is either to forgo planning uniforms at all or to never ever delete existing planned uniforms? Argh, this sucks. *Negative customer loyalty stars explode over head*

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: