More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 19:51:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  OT but need help!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: OT but need help!  (Read 15607 times)
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

Suck it, Jesus! This avatar is my God now!

View Profile
OT but need help!
« on: 2005 August 11, 02:21:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey guys,
Just needed to sort of announce that my mom just got diagnosed with breast cancer.  I know it's off topic completely:  I'm not asking for replies or anything, so if you want to close the post, JM, that's fine.  I would just like to request that anyone who prays to anything please do so now!  I'd really appreciate it.

Love,
SJ

Who doesn't like kitties? KITTIES! They're cute! They're fuzzy!
Try this before posting, n00b.
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: OT but need help!
« Reply #1 on: 2005 August 11, 04:20:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't lose hope!

I have more than 5 friends diagnosed with breast cancer, and operated succeessfully, 10 years ago, overcoming it.

The success of treating the breast cancer is now 95%!

I know the shock is great (my two parents passed away from this dreadful desease long ago), but now your mom can completely be healed, if the stage is early enough.
DuckSpeak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 August 11, 04:59:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had family diagnosed with it too, but luckily nothing bad came out of it. I hope the same happens to your mom.

Luckily modern medicine does cure most breast cancer cases, like gali pointed out.
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

:P

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 August 11, 10:32:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*hugs*

A proud thread pirate.
JoanE
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 August 11, 10:40:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So sorry to hear that, but now they can pretty much cure all cancers that they find quickly. Just keep your chin up and think positive.
Hugs from me too.
JenW
Irritating Ignoramus

Grilled cheese lovin' cyborg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2005 August 11, 11:39:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(((hugs)))

<Pescado> With ninja throwing breadsticks, YOU are the dipping sauce! | The Literate Sim
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2005 August 11, 14:04:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have any nuggets of wisdom to give, but I do agree with gali--medical science has advanced to the point that your mother could completely fight it off, or at least continue to live a normal life.

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
Marquis
Twain
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2005 August 11, 23:05:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sorry to hear that SJA, but I'm sure with your love and support she will be fine.

Good breeding consists of concealing how much we think of ourselves and how little we think of the other person. - Mark Twain
www.thesporum.net
Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 August 11, 23:13:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SJA, your mom will be in my thoughts and prayers, as will you. She will make it!

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?<br />Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 August 12, 00:44:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is not site related at all, so I'm going to send it off to the Podium with all the other random crap. And breast cancer is easily solved. You just need a hot knife and an iron. As a side benefit, your ability to shoot arrows will greatly improve.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
LK
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2005 August 12, 00:51:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...Ladies and gentlemen: this heart-to-heart moment brought to you by Viewers Like You.

SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 August 12, 00:56:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ha ha ha ha ha!
Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts.
And thanks JM...coming from you, those are the kindest words I've ever heard!  I appreciate the laugh, and I'll go warm up the iron. Wink

Thanks, guys, for everything! Kiss

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 August 12, 01:05:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ha ha ha ha ha!
Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts.
And thanks JM...coming from you, those are the kindest words I've ever heard!  I appreciate the laugh, and I'll go warm up the iron. Wink
Yeah, well, you know, due to my atheistic views, I don't really do prayer. They say there are no atheists in foxholes. This is not really true. I prefer more effective means of directed problem-solving than "hope somebody else fixes it for you". I mean, where we all be if I had taken THAT attitude, hmm?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 August 12, 01:10:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, well, you know, due to my atheistic views, I don't really do prayer. They say there are no atheists in foxholes. This is not really true. I prefer more effective means of directed problem-solving than "hope somebody else fixes it for you". I mean, where we all be if I had taken THAT attitude, hmm?

Since we all are hoping that you will fix 'it' for us, we are grateful that you didn't take that attitude JM.

V Cheesy

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 August 12, 01:12:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, well, you know, due to my atheistic views, I don't really do prayer. They say there are no atheists in foxholes. This is not really true. I prefer more effective means of directed problem-solving than "hope somebody else fixes it for you". I mean, where would we all be if I had taken THAT attitude, hmm?

I suppose I see a nugget of truth in that...this game would certainly suck without you...
So...any interest in delving into hacks for the real world?  Cheesy

BTW, my mom got into MD Anderson, probably the best cancer treatment center in the world.  Thank God she's a nurse and knows some people.  And I almost laughed today when I heard the word "lumpectomy"  Shocked.  Couldn't they think of something a little classier to call it?

Thanks again guys! Smiley

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 August 12, 01:29:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The bottom line is that as far as I'm concerned, the only praying I care for is accompanied by spraying.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 August 12, 02:13:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've known people who've had breast cancer and have gone on to live happy and fulfilling lives.  One ex-colleague had it twice, then went on to have two healthy children and as far as I know is still living (this was nearly thirty years ago!)

Zephyr Zodiac
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 August 12, 02:45:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi SJ,

My mom had breast cancer nearly 15 years ago. She had a lumpectomy (despite one doctor recommending mastectomy) and radiation, never even did the chemo. She is perfectly fine today and has never had a recurrence.

I am also a nurse, although I don't work any more. I worked in pediatric oncology. I can attest that most cancers have a high cure rate these days, especially when detected in early stages. Thankfully, cancer is no longer necessarily a death sentence. Lumpectomy is good. It means that the tumor is small and has likely not spread to the lymph nodes. Your mom should have a very good prognosis.

veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 August 12, 02:51:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is true, they don't use the more radical surgery any longer unless it's absolutely necessary. When I read that she needed a lumpectomy I was somewhat relieved for your sake. And getting into the hospital is another great plus. But I do understand your fear, it is always frightening to be hit with news like this. Hang in there SJ, you know we are rooting for you and your mom.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
LK
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2005 August 12, 03:44:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.

Torkle
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 August 12, 04:16:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My mother had breast cancer almost 30 years ago, made a full recovery after the mascectomy, and is still going strong.  Don't lose hope.

---
Torkle
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 August 12, 09:39:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've known people who've had breast cancer and have gone on to live happy and fulfilling lives.  One ex-colleague had it twice, then went on to have two healthy children and as far as I know is still living (this was nearly thirty years ago!)
Well, it's pretty hard to have it MORE than once, I suppose, given that you'll be out of breasts after the second one. Half the population manages without 'em, so eh, can't be that important. Specially when you consider YOU don't actually get any use out of them.

My mother had breast cancer almost 30 years ago, made a full recovery after the mascectomy, and is still going strong.  Don't lose hope.
See? The hot knife approach works!

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 August 12, 10:03:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Men can get it too!!!!! 

It also depends on what treatment you have whether or not it can recur.

Zephyr Zodiac
Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

SL Diva or TS2 Drama Queen? Uh...both!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 August 12, 16:14:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SJ, I read your notice when you first posted it and I've been thinking about you both since.  Reassuring your mother while having to keep yourself strong must be doubly hard for you.  I have said a prayer, just in case there is someone up there listening.  Stay positive and we'll all help you to stay strong. ((hugs)).

happy now :-)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 August 12, 16:21:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Men can get it too!!!!! 
This is somewhat more rare, but the same principle of treatment applies. You'll have to dig harder if that happens, though.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: