More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 23:07:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  CONFESS! How many of you pay for downloads?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: CONFESS! How many of you pay for downloads?  (Read 101494 times)
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
Re: CONFESS! How many of you pay for downloads?
« Reply #300 on: 2006 May 25, 18:38:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(Did you ever notice how hard it is to talk when you have your tongue in cheek??)

I keep biting my tongue. 

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: 2006 May 27, 15:03:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The bandwidth excuse is bull when many of the creators at TSR, SimChic and other major sites are paid "salaries" for their work.  MTS2 is one of the largest sites around and is free and as far as I know, the owner doesn't pay a dime.  The only donation gift you get there is that icon next to your name.

actually MTS2 does pay for bandwidth which is why they state that downloads are free but you have to be registered there to download the stuff. Delphy the owner has said time after time that bandwidth for the site costs around $1800 a month

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
nikita
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: 2006 May 27, 15:22:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They don't pay for it with their own money.  It's all donations and ad revenue. 
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: 2006 May 27, 16:57:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The main difference between sites like Mod the Sims and TSR is that donations at MTS2 are totally voluntary, and not linked in any way to downloads, whereas TSR dangles the carrot for you to bite and pay a sub or at other sites maybe donate for a set.  However, TSR also gets ad revenue, and the amount they get per month far exceeds the cost of the bandwidth and paying a reasonable amount to their creators.  If they spread some of that revenue around helping to support good free sites and keep them open, maybe they wouldn't get so much criticism.

Zephyr Zodiac
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: 2006 May 27, 18:38:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

oh to live in a perfect world , but people do tend to want to make money as well which if fine .

but then we have the whole quality thing going on , if its a business run it like one . which means getting rid of all the crap stuff they have there ,

and peggy sims is the same, i refuse to sub there again , till she sorts her site out
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: 2006 May 27, 19:01:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Holly, I would certainly agree with you there, there's no point in paying a sub if you have to do their work for them (ie sort out the rubbish and scroll through pages of it!)  I'm retired now, and I have to be very careful with money, so although I will treat myself to stuff I really want (I've just blown loads of points at SimFreaks2 so my poor sims can have a nice colourful livingroom, but everything I've got from there, I use again and again, and to me that's value for money, whereas I have loads of TSR stuff which is either sitting in folders and unused, or is in my game and waiting to be removed when I can get around to it!  So I'm very reluctant to sub there again, especially as on more than one occasiion I've thought I was taking out a single sub, and ended up having a 6 month one which was kind of annoying!

Zephyr Zodiac
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: 2006 May 27, 20:51:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

mm tell me about it , it took me ages to work out its a  rolling sub thing . and even longer to work out how to cancel it , so ive given up on tsr .

i did subscribe to simslice but quite frankly homeslice has been found wanting as for as ts2 in concerned

i love sim chic . and i think im paying rosesims2 mortgage off with all the hairs i have from there (she bins them now to)

as for money well its mine and its for spending , and we seem to get a good deal over here with the exchange rate being so good at the moment so it feels like spending monopoly money (im not sure my bank would agree with that given the state of my last statement)
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: 2006 May 27, 22:44:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it's your overdraft!  It's no worse to be overdrawn because of your sims downloading than to be overdrawn because you absolutely MUST have the latest kitchen gadget or the latest trend in trainers!

Zephyr Zodiac
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: 2006 May 28, 08:09:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

true and in my case my fettish for eating out . really i dont know why i need a kitchen,
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: 2006 May 28, 09:36:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ohhh dear. I have a dirty, dirty mind. Holly, you should slap me.
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: 2006 May 28, 14:06:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

lol i dident mean it like that , but now youve said it im thinking 9 and half weeks , slap me to
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: