More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 23:08:43

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Request for Fun Stats
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Request for Fun Stats  (Read 18695 times)
Ardin Topani
Blathering Buffoon

Where'd my avatar go? This will do for now.

View Profile
Request for Fun Stats
« on: 2005 August 10, 01:20:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

JM, I loved the tables you did on skill-gaining and the chance cards. So I have a special request--can we get something that explores the stat gain on Fun for all ages?

I am currently composing a new challenge and some of the requirements are making it near impossible to keep the kids happy enough to finish their homework. Hence, social worker visits because the kids are failing. I want to see if I'm just dumb and not using the best objects or actions to increase fun gain. I'm squeaking by on the teenagers (although the social worker doesn't care about them, so it's not a big deal), but the children are impossible! I hate the fun-sucking school and homework!

Real school was not as bad as Maxis makes it for the Sim kids.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Request for Fun Stats
« Reply #1 on: 2005 August 10, 01:32:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Go for the Sport Of Kings. Everything else pales in both efficacy and efficiency to the Sport of Kings, especially with the low-micromanagement launcher on Macrotastics: Flamingo Kicking. Accept no substitutes.

Most fun objects vary widely based on a large number of factors, and there's a lot of them, making it infeasible to document them all. Just go for the Sport of Kings: Each kick yields 15 fun points instantly. Tombstone-kicking falls slightly behind at 10 points per kick, but they never fall over, so that brings them back up.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 August 10, 01:51:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I was quite surprised when the kid, after finishing his homework, ran to the flamingo and kicked it until 'fun' was back up all the way. He then proceeded to eat and use the bathroom, and all with 'free will' off. Needless to say, I used the 'macrotastic-do homework' on him.

G.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Ardin Topani
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 August 10, 01:57:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ooh! I didn't even think of those! Do mean sims get more fun from kicking flamingoes than nice sims?

Oops, never mind. The roomie shot that one down. He claims it's too "redneck" for this particular challenge and we're debating whether or not a plastic flamingo counts as a graven image.

Anyway, I've been *trying* the swing, but they won't use it if they are totally in the red. And then there are obsessive visitors who won't leave it alone. When I play normally I go with the TV or radio as they seem to work the fastest, but they are off-limits in this challenge. (Hence, it being an actual challenge.)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 August 10, 02:01:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oops, never mind. The roomie shot that one down. He claims it's too "redneck" for this particular challenge and we're debating whether or not a plastic flamingo counts as a graven image.
I doubt a plastic flamingo counts as a graven image, given the level of respect (repeated kicking) it is afforded.

However, the only really worthwhile alternative to the plastic flamingo is hand-slapping. Between the silly hand game and the plastic flamingo, you shouldn't have fun problems. All other fun objects are essentially worthless except for the piano and other musical instruments, for gaining creativity, and the chessboard, for logic. The chessboard actually has shitty fun refill, but it simultaneously functions as a socialization object, a skill object, and marginally as a fun object.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 August 10, 02:06:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Too bad the flamigos don't come in different colors then (at least I don't know if they do) :D. On the other hand, it has potential, seeing that it is so terribly abused. Visitors who look at them usually have these funny reactions too.

I agree, the swing business was incredibly annoying. Thank goodness for JM's fix, now they leave it alone and the kids actually have a chance to use it. Good luck with the challenge, although I don't play challenges, I like listening to people who do. Reggikko is an avid challenge player, and she is very good at tackling them.

G.

~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 August 10, 02:08:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Reggikko is an avid challenge player, and she is very good at tackling them.
Well, except Email. Reggikko is currently at -1600 in Email. Email consistently eludes her. Tongue Truly it is a challenge and not simply an exercise in annoyance.

veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 August 10, 02:15:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, but she keeps on trying. Besides, it makes for such a funny story. I like her stories very much, I wish I could take such funny pictures.

Reg is determined to beat that challenge, and I for one wouldn't be a bit surprised if she made it. That was, by the way, a brilliant idea JM. Talk about keeping those stats up; that alone is a daunting task, at least for me. I'm too impatient I guess.

G.

Ardin Topani
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 August 10, 02:22:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I doubt a plastic flamingo counts as a graven image, given the level of respect (repeated kicking) it is afforded.

I've now been told kicking is too violent a behavior for this challenge. Man, I'm thinking this was a bad idea. It gets more un-fun all the time...

Ok, we found a compromise. Kids can kick the flamingo but only if an adult does not see them. I can live with that.

Quote from: J. M. Pescado
However, the only really worthwhile alternative to the plastic flamingo is hand-slapping. Between the silly hand game and the plastic flamingo, you shouldn't have fun problems. All other fun objects are essentially worthless except for the piano and other musical instruments, for gaining creativity, and the chessboard, for logic. The chessboard actually has shitty fun refill, but it simultaneously functions as a socialization object, a skill object, and marginally as a fun object.

For whatever reason, my kids always get shot down for Mary Mack, and Cops and Robbers is so slow to refill fun. By the time that does the trick, they have to go to bed and haven't done their homework. Toys from the toy box are slow, too, although they will play with those when they are red. If they are in the red, they refuse to play the piano or chess. (I hate these kids!) I haven't tried bed jumping yet, though. Hmm.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 August 10, 02:28:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, I have always found the doll-house to be able to have the sim-kids gain fun pretty fast. Not as fast as the flamingos, but it's not too bad.

G.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 August 10, 02:30:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've now been told kicking is too violent a behavior for this challenge. Man, I'm thinking this was a bad idea. It gets more un-fun all the time...
This challenge offends me.

Ok, we found a compromise. Kids can kick the flamingo but only if an adult does not see them. I can live with that.
Probably not gonna happen, as flamingos must be outdoors, and with the exception of flamingos, there are no reasons to be outdoors. Tongue

Hmm, I have always found the doll-house to be able to have the sim-kids gain fun pretty fast. Not as fast as the flamingos, but it's not too bad.
I'm pretty sure if nondestructively kicking a flamingo is too violent, the dollhouse will similarly be too violent. Not to mention expensive and prone to getting stuck in manner fixable only by buyable fires.

reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 August 10, 02:31:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Reggikko is an avid challenge player, and she is very good at tackling them.
Well, except Email. Reggikko is currently at -1600 in Email. Email consistently eludes her. Tongue Truly it is a challenge and not simply an exercise in annoyance.

Bastard! Tongue

Ardin Topani
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 August 10, 02:32:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good luck with the challenge, although I don't play challenges, I like listening to people who do. Reggikko is an avid challenge player, and she is very good at tackling them.

I've really gotten into the challenge thing. I get bored playing without some kind of goal or rule set. But then I get bored with the goal or rule set and have to find something new! I still have to try Email, but I have a sim all created and ready to go when I decide to finally get to it. I've started Legacy and Prosperity and am only on Generation 2 in both. The only challenge I finished was Toddler Mania (because it's short) and, wow, I sucked at it. But I would try it again now that I now what not to do.

I don't play enough to get very far with challenges (or my non-challenge families) and sometimes I just want to build. I love reading people's stories (like Reggiko's) and would love to do stuff like that myself, but I get so caught up in playing I forget to take pictures.

That's gotten the approval of the roomie, however, I feel weird having the boys play with it (and so far all my kids in this have been boys). Maybe it's because Mom wouldn't let me play with the GI Joe's and Transformers I wanted when I was little. I'll give it a shot though.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 August 10, 02:34:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I were the kind that likes to type LOL, I would certainly type it here. I didn't mean for the sim-kiddies to kick/smash it JM, I had the old fashioned playing in mind. Yeah, I know, I'm a wuss, and I will duly report for kicking...

Reg, I am so shocked (not). Ah, learning at the feet of the master, tis' a wonderful thing isn't it?

G.

reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 August 10, 02:36:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For whatever reason, my kids always get shot down for Mary Mack, and Cops and Robbers is so slow to refill fun. By the time that does the trick, they have to go to bed and haven't done their homework. Toys from the toy box are slow, too, although they will play with those when they are red. If they are in the red, they refuse to play the piano or chess. (I hate these kids!) I haven't tried bed jumping yet, though. Hmm.

Ardin, he means red-hands. Preferably with a parent, the fun is full in a couple of games.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 August 10, 02:37:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I were the kind that likes to type LOL, I would certainly type it here. I didn't mean for the sim-kiddies to kick/smash it JM, I had the old fashioned playing in mind. Yeah, I know, I'm a wuss, and I will duly report for kicking...
That's pretty violent, too. It's a great simulation of spousal abuse. In other words, it sorta resembles the familial dynamics of my own family, but without the unilaterality.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 August 10, 02:37:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ardin, he means red-hands. Preferably with a parent, the fun is full in a couple of games.
No, not preferrably with a parent. Preferrably with a sibling! Kill two ducks with one stone. Mmmm. Tasty.

Ardin Topani
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 August 10, 02:39:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This challenge offends me.

So Amish people offend you? Is that what you're saying? You, cultural elitist!

Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Probably not gonna happen, as flamingos must be outdoors, and with the exception of flamingos, there are no reasons to be outdoors. Tongue

Well, in one house, it will work as I have two teens and a child living together and for this challenge, teens can do whatever they want so they aren't going to care if the kid is doing it. So long as I keep the adults busy inside at my other homes, the kids can kick free.

I'm pretty sure if nondestructively kicking a flamingo is too violent, the dollhouse will similarly be too violent. Not to mention expensive and prone to getting stuck in manner fixable only by buyable fires.

As long as they don't break the dollhouse, it should be cool. I haven't had a problem with the dollhouse-stuckage yet. ::knocking on wood::

Oh. I forgot about that one. Mary Mark involves hand-slapping though so I'm not totally dumb!    Wink
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 August 10, 02:41:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Reg, I am so shocked (not). Ah, learning at the feet of the master, tis' a wonderful thing isn't it?

G.

I just tried to report but he's idle again. And I've used words much worse than that since way before I knew Pescado. I'm trying to protect my delicate reputation here.  Wink

John Waterloo came very close to not surviving last night. My finger was so itchy to drag his hunger bar down to zero after he peed himself. Good thing I don't like waffles anyway.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 August 10, 02:41:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Somehow I didn't picture you for the old-fashioned kind Ardin Cheesy

I didn't have any problems of letting my kids play with any toys they wanted, heck, I was happy when they played and I had some peace. They were both inquisitive little...kids, always exploring, experimenting, it was a trying time. Try to imagine the doll-house as a castle, with knights' armour, dungeons, and torture chambers. We have one of those old castles close to where I live, completely intact with all the ammenities. I always gave me a creepy feeling down in the torture chambers, I even thought I'd seen blood on the spikes of the iron maiden...definitely not your average play-house.

G.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 August 10, 02:46:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just tried to report but he's idle again. And I've used words much worse than that since way before I knew Pescado. I'm trying to protect my delicate reputation here.  Wink
Well, maybe if you hadn't fled while I was busy making FUN OF YOU HERE....next time, hold still for longer than one minute so I can kick you! I'm very busy!

veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 August 10, 02:46:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

John Waterloo came very close to not surviving last night. My finger was so itchy to drag his hunger bar down to zero after he peed himself. Good thing I don't like waffles anyway.

Aww, and I was so rooting for him. Dang the dude. But tell me Reg, where oh where did you get Aphrodite you addiction sim from. The one picture of her could truly give you nightmares.

Ardin, now I'm really curious about your challenge.

G.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 August 10, 02:48:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So Amish people offend you? Is that what you're saying? You, cultural elitist!
Don't the Amish have shotguns? That's pretty violent. I've never met the Amish, but the idea that kicking an inanimate object is TOO VIOLENT simply offends me! Besides, I'm sure the Amish have kicky-things.

Kitiara
Lipless Loser

boolprop IQTestingEnabledTrue

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 August 10, 02:49:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's gotten the approval of the roomie, however, I feel weird having the boys play with it (and so far all my kids in this have been boys). Maybe it's because Mom wouldn't let me play with the GI Joe's and Transformers I wanted when I was little. I'll give it a shot though.

As a child the boy across the street was an almost-brother to me. He played with my barbies. I played with his GI Joe's. We both had Star Wars figures (kids in the 70's). My 3 yr old son likes to play with my (9 yr old) daughters old barbie radio. It may be early to say, but he seems a lot tougher than my other (currently 10 yr old) son ever did. I have no problem with kids crossing gender stereotypes when it comes to toys. If they keep it up when they are teens however...
Oh, well. If they are tough enough to stand up to the teasing, let 'em play however they want. And with pixel people? Screw it. Give the boy a dollhouse. Blame Maxis/EA. After all, if the RC car wasn't buggy, you could give them that.

I would like to ease the minds of anyone that thinks that I am ignoring them. You are not paranoid.
I am not normal. I have never met a normal person. I disbelieve in such mythical creatures.
Ardin Topani
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 August 10, 02:50:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Somehow I didn't picture you for the old-fashioned kind Ardin Cheesy

You're not the first person to tell me that!  Smiley My mom was a tomboy, so when she had me, she wanted a little girl, not a little tomboy. I got all the Barbies and My Little Ponies I could ever want. But I loved when my cousin came to visit because then I could play with "boy" toys--Star Wars, GI Joe's, etc.

Mom Betty-Crockered me as much as she could. I blame her for my lack of physical prowess at sports.   Wink

Don't the Amish have shotguns? That's pretty violent. I've never met the Amish, but the idea that kicking an inanimate object is TOO VIOLENT simply offends me! Besides, I'm sure the Amish have kicky-things.

Thank you! I tried the shotgun argument on my roommate and (as usual) my lone opinion wasn't enough. He's totally caved. Flamingo kicking is in.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: