More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 15, 19:54:08

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6518 Members
Latest Member: Willaemann
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Would a new neighborhood explode if...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Would a new neighborhood explode if...  (Read 11275 times)
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
Would a new neighborhood explode if...
« on: 2006 February 21, 02:18:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I moved some lots with Sims into the Lots bin; created a brand new neighborhood; did a DeleteAllCharacters, and then moved the lots containing Sims into the empty neighborhood? So there would be tagalong character files, but not all the usual townies/NPCs?

I'm thinking of doing this in order to offload excessive population. And there are too many redheads in my Pleasantview. I thought about genocide, but that feels morally wrong.  Tongue But would I be sending the Sims to a neighborhood on the brink of doom?

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Would a new neighborhood explode if...
« Reply #1 on: 2006 February 21, 02:27:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes. Do not move occupied lots, unless the lots have never been played, AND you intend to destroy your source neighborhood. Any lot that has been played should never be moved to another neighborhood unless you want to destroy both neighborhoods.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 February 21, 02:39:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

there is a way you can do it properly without alot of hassle

read Reply #4 (by me)

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=3054.0

and heres a link to the mentioned plugin that you will need (if you don't already have it)
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=2590.0
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 February 21, 08:19:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahh, thanks. Glad I asked before my 'hoods went kaboom. I knew there was a recent discussion on this but couldn't find it, thanks for the instructions, Sleepycat.  Otherwise I would have to start instituting a one-child per family policy. Which I still may do for all but fambly Sims.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 February 21, 14:16:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had to institute the one-child-only for all but family sims (and none for romance sims, except by 'accident') -- my playable population was starting to verge on just-too-many-to-keep-up-with.  THank the heavens for the Lot Sync timer!

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 February 21, 14:32:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, in my current hood, I deleted all characters, and started out with sims at Uni.  so far I've only graduated six, and they have 5 kids between them and three out of the six are romance sims - and make the best parents!  Just because they sometimes have a fear of having kids doesn't mean they don't want them!  (And I've had elder romance sims get the "Get a grandchild" want!)

Zephyr Zodiac
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 February 21, 14:39:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never seen a romance sim roll a want for a baby yet, but then I tend not to have too many of them around at any one time -- maybe three or four out of an active population of 40 or so (just realized that I keep romance sims to 10%  of the population Smiley). They're handy for wrecking havoc when I get a couple that turns out to be really boring to play together, in spite of showing promise at the beginning.  Roll Eyes

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 February 21, 14:47:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never said my romance sims WANT a baby - but they get one anyway!  (Or two, if it's twins, which they seem particularly prone to!)  But I did say that I've had an elder want a grandchild, which is unusual, but since she didn't have to have the child herself, understandable!  My Romance sims do their havoc-wreaking among each other, or while still at Uni!

Zephyr Zodiac
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 February 21, 15:39:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I make judicious use of the kitten-killer's birth control to keep my population of pods manageable.  Especially since I have some sims who just can't seem to woohoo without getting pregnant, even when they're not trying for a baby. Brandi Burb (ne Broke) and Cassie Dreamer (ne Goth) kept poping out kids (twins, in Brandi's case) whenever I forgot to turn their birth control back on. And Dina Calliente is cursed -- two accidental kids with Morty Goth before he died, and then her oldest dauthter got accidentally pregnant on her very first woohoo -- in the hottub, no less.  So I make very sure that the k-k's birth control is active for all my non-family female sims, and a few of the male sims as well, until I decide the population needs some new blood. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 February 21, 15:43:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, mine only have kids when I decide!  No accidents for my sims!  and no kitten-killers either!

Zephyr Zodiac
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 February 21, 15:51:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, I firmly believe in the China Rule for my neighbourhood, unless something awful happens and I get twins or something.  Although I do have TJ's hack to make sure that if I really don't want twins, I won't.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 February 21, 16:04:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On the other hand, TJ's Pregnancy for All has spewed out two sets of twins!  I removed the original when a female family sim tried 6 times for a baby with no luck,  got her pregnant, then put the updated hack in - and twins again!  Not identical like the first, as they're brother and sister, but the DNA varies by one thing only!

Zephyr Zodiac
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 February 21, 17:31:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, I firmly believe in the China Rule for my neighbourhood, unless something awful happens and I get twins or something. 
I think I'll have to institute that as well.  This is my second generation (first born in game) and I limited myself to 2 kids per family, and had an extra kid for my family sim.  I have at the moment 3 families I play with.   I can see how that will quickly get out of control.

what are your tried and true stategies for keeping families manageable.  I mean, how many families do you play in rotation.  How many kids per generation, etc etc. 
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 February 21, 18:58:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Question here.

I downloaded and install houses from the Sims 2 exchange without Sims in it (I know not the best place but there was really nice starter house).  I notice that one of them added 2 character files.  I quit and deleted those characters before I moved Sim in that house.  After I moved in the members in it, it did not recreate the 2 extra character files.  My question, is that neighborhood safe to play or can it turn into a BFBVFS?
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 February 21, 19:07:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't understand when you say it added 2 character files. Where did these appear, and how did you delete them.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 February 21, 19:41:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

what are your tried and true strategies for keeping families manageable.  I mean, how many families do you play in rotation.  How many kids per generation, etc etc. 

Well, I think right now I have about the limit of active families I can handle -- out of maybe 20 playable households, there are 4 in university, 5 singles, and two childless couples. The rest have at least one kid in them. So maybe 45 playable Sims total.  I generally try to 'check in' with at least 3 households a day (sometimes more, if there's nothing good on TV that night Smiley), so that all 20 get some activity at least once a week. I think at this point I'd start to lose track if the neighborhood got much bigger. The only thing that's 'saving' me right now is that just about all of my first generation Sims are elders or deceased, and if they have kids I try to move at least one kid back into the family house to keep it going. So my 'strategies' for keeping things manageable are still evolving, but so far, the rules I've started to implement are:

1) Romance Sims only have children by 'accident', which usually means I forgot to turn his/her birth control on, or decided it was time for them to 'accidentally' have a kid because I wanted to expand the gene pool.
2) Same-sex couples get one kid, usually adopted, though I did use a 'pregnancy for everybody' hack to have two females (one CAS, the other a townie) have a kid together out of curiosity. That kid just turned into a child, and he's kind-of middle-of-the-road in the looks department so far.
3) Married/living-together couples generally get one kid if neither is a family Sim, and I want to keep them in the gene pool. Otherwise they don't usually get one unless one of them rolls a want for a baby.
4) Family Sims get 1 or 2 kids depending on the status of their relationship with their significant other(s), and 3 if they roll a LTW that supports/requires that many.
5) In multi-kid families, at least one kid moves back into the family house when he/she graduates college. That way the household keeps going, and there isn't a need for too many new households to accommodate all the graduates.
6) Most important of all, I use the Lot Sync timer to keep track of which households have gotten recent activity, and which are lagging behind. It's a life-saver in a well-populated neighborhood.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 February 21, 20:03:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't understand when you say it added 2 character files. Where did these appear, and how did you delete them.

What I think is that the maker of the house had Sims previously in the house, move them out and then uploaded the lot to the exchange.  Before I started to install the houses I downloaded into the game I took note of the # of character files I had.  After installing them 2 new character files appeared (well I think it was right after I install those houses but I could be wrong), this is in a freshly new made hood with only townie and NPC in it.  I deleted the 2 extra characters from the character folder manually (without the use of SimPe).

1- Did those houses really came with character files (is it even possible when the lot was shown as empty on the exchange)
2- If character files cannot come with empty exchange lots, could these 2 characters files created by the game when I edited my downtown and Univeristy lot?
3- Is it bad that I deleted them.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 February 21, 20:33:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you use the installer that comes with the game (Custom Content Installer, I think its called), or Sim2Pack clean installer?  S2P should show you all of the contents of the package before you install it.  If you don't have it, you can get it here: http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/ -- and do get it, because it's much better than the Maxis installer.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2006 February 21, 20:51:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I think right now I have about the limit of active families I can handle -- out of maybe 20 playable households, there are 4 in university, 5 singles, and two childless couples. The rest have at least one kid in them. So maybe 45 playable Sims total.  I generally try to 'check in' with at least 3 households a day (sometimes more, if there's nothing good on TV that night Smiley), so that all 20 get some activity at least once a week. I think at this point I'd start to lose track if the neighborhood got much bigger

I have about 55 playable Sims. I play them in rotation and spend about a Sim week on each. It's been taking about a month real time to get through a rotation. 
4) Family Sims get 1 or 2 kids depending on the status of their relationship with their significant other(s), and 3 if they roll a LTW that supports/requires that many.

See this is what initiated the thread - I have two family Sims who both have the same LTW - Marry off 6 children. I've never tried to satisfy that LTW before, but since *both* of them have it... I'm going to go for it.  But then? I don't want to play all 6 offspring / 12 Sims including their partners. What happens if I move them to the family bin and <shudder> delete them? I've never actually done that before.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 February 21, 21:09:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BFBVFS!  Unless you are prepared to eradicate every memory of these sims, which would include the fact that they were ever born! 

Just marry them to scions of your other families and move them into their houses.

Zephyr Zodiac
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 February 21, 21:37:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Marry all six of them to a "Black Widow(er)" Sim.

The want will be satisfied, you don't have to play twelve sims (just two once you're done), and you've made some fortune sim VERY happy.

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 February 21, 21:39:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At least until the haunting begins....... Grin

Zephyr Zodiac
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

Just another shitty day in paradise

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 February 21, 21:40:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like a good time to see how many different ways a sim can die.  Satellite, cow plant, hunger, flies, etc.

And be prepared for ghosts, or move the tombstones to a cemetary.

Werewolf?<br />There! There wolf!  There castle!
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 February 21, 21:42:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What happens if I move them to the family bin and <shudder> delete them? I've never actually done that before.

I've never had a problem when doing that, the sims in the hood keep their memorys of them and stuff and it is like they just "moved away"

I think it is only a BFBVFS problem if you have way to many sims in your character folder and that amount has changed with NL and I believe no one knows at this point what that number is.

You can always make any unwanteds into townies  Grin 
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 February 21, 21:49:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, you pays your money and you takes your choice - me, I'd take the safer route.

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: