More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 10:42:13

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Maybe dormie vulnerability isn't such a good thing
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Maybe dormie vulnerability isn't such a good thing  (Read 29773 times)
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
Re: Maybe dormie vulnerability isn't such a good thing
« Reply #25 on: 2006 February 15, 18:38:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could use one of Inge's door.  They make the sim dress as they pass through the threshold.  Although they don't work for me for some reason.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: 2006 February 15, 19:29:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have beds dotted all over the dorms, as I think I said earlier, but it doesn't stop mine from passing out.  Most of them make the beds, but not all of them do, then there's the problem of the phone ringing or someone turning on the stereo, and they wake up again.  I think maybe the mod does need toning down a little - not a lot, just a teeny bit.  Can't be too considerate where dormies are concerned.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
sanmonroe
Circus Freak
Lipless Loser

Hates Furries.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 February 15, 19:35:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Learn to torment them: place stereos in all rooms, and have your Sim turn these on whenever the dormies are napping. They'll wake up and usually pee themselves.

I do that. Speakers everywhere!

I also remove access to all the toilets and showers and put one in my locked room.

I am nice enough to bring back any that die as zombies and move them into a filler house to be NPCs.

I have several zombie mascots and cheerleaders in my uni.  The cow is damn funny witht eh zombie shamble.

When you do something because of the internet that is wrong.
When you make love to a man in a giraffe outfit.
When you discover you masterbated online to a picture of a relative.

Webcest.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 February 15, 20:06:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a zombie geek house. Geek initiations are funny this way.

Oh, that reminds me... is anyone else really annoyed that vampires get the undead scholarship, but the text is zombie-only?
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 February 15, 20:23:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

then there's the problem of the phone ringing or someone turning on the stereo, and they wake up again.

Sounds like your problem is beds without bedrooms.  I made them regular 4x4 bedrooms with two singles or one double bed each, and nothing else.  No phones or stereos to wake them up.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
Grater
Blathering Buffoon

It burns!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 February 15, 22:11:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is actually possible to make a normal dorm where dormies act like normal sims.

Basically create a "vanishing room", a room where all myne doors lead into. Stick it off to the side somewhere (for space optimization you could wrap it around a corridor or something).
Now, if one of *your* sims is the most recent to claim a myne door, then the vanishing room will be permamently visible, a dormie will step into it, immediately "wake up" due to it being lit, then step back out and resume acting like a normal sim. So basically other than taking a 1 minute trip to the vanishing room every day or so they act quite normally and will sleep in the beds and such.
(If a dormie is the last to claim a myne door, the vanishing room will be fogged unless one of your sims steps into it, when that happens all the hibernating dormies will wake up and spew forth, it's quite entertaining).

So once you have a functioning vanishing room make proper dorm rooms with normal doors and beds, I usually have at least 2 beds per room, and sometimes create a big room with lots of beds, like for a really cheap hostel. If you go for 1 or 2 beds per room I imagine you could use APO to assign dormies their rooms.

Dormies actually take better care of themselves with the vanishing room configuration, it seems that normal sleep and having lots of hours a day to take care of needs works out better than the weird hibernation thing.

Maybe a hack could supress the dorm room fog thing so dormies are pemamently active?
sanmonroe
Circus Freak
Lipless Loser

Hates Furries.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 February 15, 22:46:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wheres the fun in that? I like my dormies passed out and covered in their own filth!

When you do something because of the internet that is wrong.
When you make love to a man in a giraffe outfit.
When you discover you masterbated online to a picture of a relative.

Webcest.
Grater
Blathering Buffoon

It burns!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 February 15, 22:50:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They still pass out, especially after a bout of fighting and stuff  Grin.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 February 16, 00:41:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is actually possible to make a normal dorm where dormies act like normal sims.

Basically create a "vanishing room", a room where all myne doors lead into.

Huh, I thought having a room with more than one Myne Door in a dorm was a bad thing.  I seem to recall in the notes on creating dorms that you're not supposed to do it.

I'll have to experiment with that.

You could use one of Inge's door.  They make the sim dress as they pass through the threshold.  Although they don't work for me for some reason.

Thanks for pointing that out, but I couldn't get it to work either.  Specifically, the custom door doesn't behave like a door.  Sims can't pass through it.  I definitely don't want to use the global hack where EVERY door changes clothing.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 February 16, 01:40:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well she made some doors which do not require a global hack, but that's the ones that do not work for me.  They work fine as a normal doors however.  I guess I should ask on her website, just never got around to it
Grater
Blathering Buffoon

It burns!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 February 16, 02:40:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Huh, I thought having a room with more than one Myne Door in a dorm was a bad thing.  I seem to recall in the notes on creating dorms that you're not supposed to do it.
I think it's "bad" in the same way as building a dorm without a cafeteria cook; the dormies will die if you don't make alternative arrangments.

The main strangeness case would be like having two myne doors leading into one room, shared by a dorime and player sims, the room would fog out if the dormie picked the door last, and otherwise the dormie would act strangely.

In short, it's not something that maxis has designed to work in a logical way (leaving the behaivour at "undefined"), but it DOES work in a constistent way that can be exploited for creative dorm designs. If it was designed to work in a logical way then it wouldn't work for the purposes I'm using it for.
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: 2006 February 16, 02:51:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Grater, would you happen to have a picture of a dorm you've built this way? I'm having a bit of a hard time visualizing it, though I think you've explained it well. Or, better yet, a dorm to download? Smiley

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
Grater
Blathering Buffoon

It burns!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 February 16, 03:36:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can see the vanishing room in the top/right corner, the sleeping quarters are at the bottom.

I'm also building a realistic style dorm where the vanishing room is hidden in the basement which I might upload if it turns out well.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 February 16, 03:38:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow. It looks so different from my dorm. There's no puddles of dormie urine anywhere.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 February 16, 03:53:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And dormies are actually showering

ISFJ
Grater
Blathering Buffoon

It burns!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 February 16, 04:19:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, but my dorm has dirty dishes.
LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 February 16, 05:13:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just today started playing with the dorms again since i hear such idiocy by the dormies going on.  They've been passing out on the floor and in the food.  Peeing themselves and the cow mascot has been creating hell and constantly fighting with everyone.

My question is how the hell are you people killing them?  My sim is half way through college and the only one that DID die was by my hand.  I was trying to get her set on fire but after lighting a cheapo fireplace a dozen times and getting no results she eventually starved to death in her corner.  I then ressurected her and booted her back to the townie pool now i have a ugly zombie shuffling around (Note: she was ugly before she became a zombie).

I was thinking maybe ghosts would be a way of causing mass dying, i know a cowplant certainly would but that just kills em way too fast.
Grater
Blathering Buffoon

It burns!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 February 16, 05:28:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In order for the first dormie to die, a dormie with already low hunger needs to have like two back-to-back classes, when they return they'll die at the portal, leaving a nice tombstone nearby.

The ghosts pretty much do the rest.
LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 February 16, 05:46:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In order for the first dormie to die, a dormie with already low hunger needs to have like two back-to-back classes, when they return they'll die at the portal, leaving a nice tombstone nearby.

The ghosts pretty much do the rest.

Ahh ok they do get very low on hunger alot of em but they end up stuffing their faces.  I guess i'll knock off another dormie and let it's ghost wander around spooking everyone.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: 2006 February 16, 06:01:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oddly enough, even with 4 or 5 dormie ghosts (sometimes 2 or 3 active on the same night), none of my dormies have died of shock.  One was scared 3 times in a row, but still he didn't expire.  He got a lot of aspiration points, though, being Knowledge.  Anyway, this vanishing room sounds very intriguing (would like the option to download that dorm!), but can our own Sims claim two rooms?  Otherwise there'd have to be a bed in it, which sounds as if it might be a problem.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2006 February 16, 08:51:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oddly enough, even with 4 or 5 dormie ghosts (sometimes 2 or 3 active on the same night), none of my dormies have died of shock.  One was scared 3 times in a row, but still he didn't expire.
Oh, that's because you haven't seen....

CRANKY STEVE'S HAUNTED WHOREHOUSE

While borrowing a cow plant is a great way to get it started, pretty soon the thing takes on critical mass purely from the ghosts....as you can read about in the Adventures.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Grater
Blathering Buffoon

It burns!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2006 February 16, 09:52:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

re: Cranky Steve's Haunted Whorehouse:

I don't get it, what are the toilets for?  Huh (day time, i guess  Tongue)

Re: Vanishing Room
Very well, due to popular demand (ahem) I've uploaded a fully-functioning 5 sim dorm with a vanishing room.

Find it here.

« Last Edit: 2006 February 17, 04:44:22 by Grater » Logged
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2006 February 16, 13:16:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Re: Vanishing Room
Very well, due to popular demand (ahem) I've uploaded a fully-functioning 5 sim dorm with a vanishing room.

Find it here.

when I click on the .rar link I get a page about Essentials of Good Web Design   Sad
Grater
Blathering Buffoon

It burns!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2006 February 16, 13:32:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmmph. Seems that it's forbidden to download rar's, but not upload them Lips sealed. Or the file might be oversized... dangitk, that might be it.

I'll figure something else out, like waiting for the exchange login server to stop being an invalid.
« Last Edit: 2006 February 17, 04:41:13 by Grater » Logged
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2006 February 16, 13:58:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

got it now, Thank you  Cheesy

edit - it has the phone hack and a "jackgnome" in it, no problem since I use clean installer but I thought I would warn you.
« Last Edit: 2006 February 16, 14:04:50 by Sleepycat » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: