More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 12:12:51

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Changing Dominant/Recessive Values on Skin and Eyes
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Changing Dominant/Recessive Values on Skin and Eyes  (Read 140473 times)
Syera
Exasperating Eyesore

A well-stocked toolkit can fix anything...

View Profile WWW
Re: Changing Dominant/Recessive Values on Skin and Eyes
« Reply #50 on: 2006 February 11, 16:13:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just compiled a text document that tells you how to bin hair and change eye/skin color dominance properties.  I mostly did this for my own reference, but also because I'm rather under the opinion that this stuff needs compiled into comprehensive guides once and for all.

Thanks, everyone.  Smiley

Here's the text document...
http://www.springhole.net/bogsims/tutorials/geneproperties.txt

Is it missing anything?

The BogSims Institute - We've been updating these days...
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2006 February 11, 16:22:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just compiled a text document that tells you how to bin hair and change eye/skin color dominance properties.  I mostly did this for my own reference, but also because I'm rather under the opinion that this stuff needs compiled into comprehensive guides once and for all.

Thanks, everyone.  Smiley

Here's the text document...
http://www.springhole.net/bogsims/tutorials/geneproperties.txt

Is it missing anything?

Wow...you're a mind-reader, and a very powerful one! I was reading through this thread and thinking "damn, wish I could find all the info I spotted in here in one place instead of having to skim through all the posts again". Just when I had finished reading and gone back to the The Podium, I noticed a new post. Back in, and there's your post! Wow again! Just a question: you're at the States? Where exactly? Just to see HOW far away you can read minds!

Edit: oh, a clarifier please? I didn't quite get the last part, regarding the "family" entry. Does it have to be the same in all recolors of a specific mesh to be sort of "linked" to that particular mesh? Or did I get it completely wrong?

Edit #2: Woah there...wasn't this thread in The Podium up until...dunno...10 minutes ago?!
« Last Edit: 2006 February 11, 16:30:52 by DrBeast » Logged

Let the Beast inside you free!
Syera
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: 2006 February 11, 17:02:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow...you're a mind-reader, and a very powerful one! I was reading through this thread and thinking "damn, wish I could find all the info I spotted in here in one place instead of having to skim through all the posts again". Just when I had finished reading and gone back to the The Podium, I noticed a new post. Back in, and there's your post! Wow again! Just a question: you're at the States? Where exactly? Just to see HOW far away you can read minds!
Western US.  And I'm not a mind-reader; I just like my information concise and comprehensive.   Grin

Edit: oh, a clarifier please? I didn't quite get the last part, regarding the "family" entry. Does it have to be the same in all recolors of a specific mesh to be sort of "linked" to that particular mesh? Or did I get it completely wrong?
Yeah, pretty much.  If all the family numbers match, it'll keep the same hairstyle on your Sim if you click from... oh, blond to red.  If not, it'll default to a Maxis hairstyle.  Not a big deal, but rather pesky.

Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2006 February 11, 17:08:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Edit 2: Oh, and if you're looking for more stuff to genetic-ize, the same method that works for hair works for eyebrows, beards, etc.  I wouldn't use the 6/custom category for these, though, as I've had questionable results with it.  (The "standard" facial hair that genensims has is categorized this way.)

I may just have to rethink using custom eyebrows and facial hair  Grin  be nice to have only the blonde eyebrows show up to go with blonde hair, got sick of having to sort thru a bunch of black/brown/red eyebrows looking for blonde ones (or black etc...) so I took them all out!

Syera, thats great, Thank you! handier then opening the whole saved copy of this thread and then having to search thru it *laughs*

DrBeast, If you do the "family" part (you don't have to) then it links all the colors of that hairstyle together so if you switch colors it stays on that hairstyle, faster then having to reselect that hairstyle for each color if your trying to decide which color in that style looks best on a sim.

I haven't done it to any of the hair I binned but if I ever get around to removing the unwanted ages (from the hairstyles that are not for all ages) then I may consider doing it. At this time I have no desire to work on all the damn custom hair I have, again Roll Eyes  I got it all binned and I'm happy enough with that right now *laughs*

DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2006 February 11, 17:10:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Western US. Faaaaaar far away from Greece then. I'm impressed!  Grin

Thanks for the info. I've only been fiddling with the XML files to revert the custom hairstyles to their respective color. Now I have to pull them all back into SimPE to reorganize. Yah. Yippie. Hooray. Well, even this looks better than playing The Movies again. Damn, that game SUCKED! I think I'm ready for TS2 again, 3 months away from it is enough...

Edit: And thanx to Sleepycat as well for her (?) response (that cat looks great btw. As long as I don't have to treat any cats I like 'em, heh. Nice vet I am, eh?). I've only got a dozen or so custom hairstyles (I'm rather picky), so it shouldn't take me forever and a century to reorganize.
« Last Edit: 2006 February 11, 17:16:14 by DrBeast » Logged

Let the Beast inside you free!
Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: 2006 February 11, 18:43:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember that quite some time ago, some talented fellow on MTS2 was making his albino skins read as lighter than the Maxis pale skins by changing its skintone number.

erm, I wouldn't have considered myself very tallented back then... which reminds me, I never did upload that again (there was a problem with the exchange and it got deleted) I'll have to see if I can find it on my harddrive again. (I'm PatchesSim2, the name I wanted was already taken on here so I chose to use Argon)

The genetics in the game are designed weird, with that skin you could have a set of light skin parents give birth to an albino (50% albino, 50% light; not something that's realistic).

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
Syera
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: 2006 February 11, 19:22:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, inert gasses are cool by me.   Grin

Nice to see you around.  Smiley

Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2006 February 11, 19:24:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Edit: And thanx to Sleepycat as well for her (?) response (that cat looks great btw. As long as I don't have to treat any cats I like 'em, heh. Nice vet I am, eh?). I've only got a dozen or so custom hairstyles (I'm rather picky), so it shouldn't take me forever and a century to reorganize.

yup I'm a she  Grin  heh, I love my cats but I hate when I have to give them meds or anything so I can understand a vet not wanting to treat them *laughs*

I currently have 481 files, in 100 folders, in my custom hair folder (inculding the meshs)  Roll Eyes  I'm pretty picky too so I know theres quite a few I will get rid of once I get a good look at them in-game or in-CAS  Tongue but alot are just recolors of maxis hair (although I do need to delete the recolors of the maxis hair that I will never use)
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2006 February 12, 19:10:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very useful Syera.  Maybe you should put it in it's own post in Peasantry.  This way we can quickly point to it when people ask Smiley

Edit :  On a different subject.  I successfully managed to change the skin tone of my sims by changing the Sims DNA.  It's worked wonderfully.

However for some reason, it does not work with the eye color.  I am absolutely sure that I have done the right correction, but when you launch the game, the previous eye color stills show.  Anyone has an idea why?
« Last Edit: 2006 February 13, 00:52:42 by angelyne » Logged
aqualectrix
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2006 February 13, 03:49:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Excellent summary, Syera!
pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2006 February 13, 08:23:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For the eyecolor you have to change the dna and the line "eyecolor" you find in the "agedata" of the character's file.
If I'm not clear or you need some, I can take pictures in SimPE, just let me know.
Pioupiou
Syera
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: 2006 February 13, 15:33:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very useful Syera.  Maybe you should put it in it's own post in Peasantry.  This way we can quickly point to it when people ask Smiley

Edit :  On a different subject.  I successfully managed to change the skin tone of my sims by changing the Sims DNA.  It's worked wonderfully.

However for some reason, it does not work with the eye color.  I am absolutely sure that I have done the right correction, but when you launch the game, the previous eye color stills show.  Anyone has an idea why?

I'm a little confused here.  Previous eye color?  If you mean what I'm thinking you mean, changing the genetic value of the color itself isn't going to do anything to already-existing Sims.  It just means that future generations will have a sporting chance at getting other eye colors.

Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2006 February 13, 15:48:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unlike skintone, eye colour on the sim itself can't be changed through DNA changes, just what it passes down. Pity.

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2006 February 13, 17:13:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unlike skintone, eye colour on the sim itself can't be changed through DNA changes, just what it passes down. Pity.

Damn it IS a pity.  What I ended up doing it identifying the original file used for the eye and changing the texture.  That worked well enough, but it's less than ideal.

How about sims surgery.  I know you can change the eyes in that manner.  So if it's possible to change the eyes of a an existing sim, it's only a matter of identifying the changes made in the character file.  Unfortunately I am not awesome enough to figure this out.
pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2006 February 13, 17:41:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For the eyecolor you have to change the dna and the line "eyecolor" you find in the "agedata" of the character's file.
If I'm not clear or you need some, I can take pictures in SimPE, just let me know.
Pioupiou
I know my english is not perfect but I'm trying to tell how you can effectively change the eyecolor of an existing sim : you have to change the number in the line "eyecolor" you find in the agedata of the sim's character file. A trip to the mirror in game and the brown-eyed sim becomes a blue-eyed one without problem. For the change to be genetic you have to change the eyecolor in the simdna to reflect the new eyeolor of your sim.
I hope it is clearer this time  Smiley
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2006 February 13, 18:40:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi Pioupiou!

Sorry I missed your earlier post.  I think I got the gist of what you are saying.  I'll try it tonight and will let you know.

BTW are you french?  Your name makes me think that.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2006 February 13, 18:46:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know my english is not perfect but I'm trying to tell how you can effectively change the eyecolor of an existing sim : you have to change the number in the line "eyecolor" you find in the agedata of the sim's character file. A trip to the mirror in game and the brown-eyed sim becomes a blue-eyed one without problem. For the change to be genetic you have to change the eyecolor in the simdna to reflect the new eyeolor of your sim.
I hope it is clearer this time  Smiley

... Oooh, I think I know what you mean. For some reason I thought you mean a line in the character DNA. Heh, silly me. Yes, there's the line in the character file labeled eyecolor. Thank you for clarifying, this will be really useful.

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2006 February 13, 19:56:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did mean the DNA.  I thought it would work the same as for the expressed skin color.  That should teach me to expect consistency from Maxis Smiley

Anyway, I glad to know where to change the value for eyes in a sims file.  Content creators are always coming out with nicer stuff, and I'd hate to be stuck with "last season" eye or skin. 

I wish I could do that in real life too Smiley
pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2006 February 13, 21:19:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BTW are you french?  Your name makes me think that.
Yes I am  Cheesy
If you need some screenshots of SimPE for changing eyecolor let me know.
In my game changing the expressed skintone in the DNA doesn't seem to be enough for the change to effectively change. I find that changing the skintone in the different property sets in the character data usually does the trick. But sometimes I had to update the sim in game, even when I had change the skintone in the property sets : what I find to work is changing them into zombie (life state adjustor from the inSim) then back to normal skin. Do I miss something ? I'm curious as I saw you mention only changing expressed skintone being enough....
Pioupiou
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2006 February 13, 22:07:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ça tombe bien, je parle français Smiley  Mais vraiment ton anglais est excellent.

Do you have Nightlife ?  Apparentely this is new from Night Life.  I've changed quite a few skin and it seems to have worked well so far.  It's immediate.  I load the change and as soon as the lot is loaded, the sim changes to whatever skin I set. 
pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2006 February 14, 06:30:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mais vraiment ton anglais est excellent.
Thanks.
I do have Nightlife (and Uni, but no christmas pack as you cannot find in France (only the special edition that is sims 2 + christmas)  Cry). I only start changing my sims dna recently, and eyes are really easy but I had problems witth the skintone.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2006 February 14, 13:42:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Which lines are you changing in the DNA for the skintone ?

(btw, I don't have the xmas pack, it's was just a moneygrab if you ask me.  Well, more than the usual anyway)
furryjackal
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2006 February 14, 20:33:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, confused, here. Sorry if I sound incredibly retarded. I have tried changing the recessive/dominant strings for eye colors from some other Sim's eye color coding. As well as the Age Data line for eye color. My Sim's eyes STILL won't change colors. Sad What am I doing wrong? I've saved everything.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2006 February 15, 01:25:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you have to do a change appearance.  Then the eyes will change
furryjackal
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2006 February 15, 01:31:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh! Okay. I shall try that next and see what happens.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: