More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 13:39:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  What must NOT be put into inventory?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What must NOT be put into inventory?  (Read 12157 times)
Kestran
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
What must NOT be put into inventory?
« on: 2006 February 06, 19:14:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know tombstones, beds and cars are a big no-no to put into inventories...but any other stuff?

I have several students that have ammassed various personal items over their student years and they want to take it with them. Most of it are decoration items like; curtains, lights, paintings/sculptures and plants but some do have bigger things, like chairs, and sofas. One has a bookcase and the other an easel and the third has a musical instrument...

Any of those not allowed into inventory and any others not mentioned above not allowed into inventory?

Being able to take these stuff with them would be very good because they are a no cheat Sims and must only earn their own money and as I have Pescado's no 20k thing at move out...
Persephone
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Re: What must NOT be put into inventory?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 February 06, 19:29:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uhoh... why can't tombstones, beds, and cars go in inventory?  Is this another corrupting bug I don't know about?
Grater
Blathering Buffoon

It burns!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 February 06, 19:33:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm, why shouldn't beds be carried?

I noticed problems with one of my orphaned, living-alone Sims I sent to uni. I stashed her coffin and cow plant and some other stuff in the inventory, when I unpacked them I noticed that some items (coffin and cow plant anyway) couldn't be placed next to walls - they had some kind of strange 1 tile wider footprint. Anyway I just moveobject'd them to the desired locations and they functioned fine with no apparent problems.

I also carried a tombstone and car with her Tongue. Neither seemed to end up bugged.
jack_d_spratt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 February 06, 19:44:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On that "couldn't put next to a wall" thing...

I moved a Sim from downtown to the regular neighborhood and thought "hey, I'll just put all this stuff I want to keep into her inventory and move away!"  I put virtually everything she owned in her inventory.  And you can definitely add pianos to that list, and I know there were other things as well (but I don't remember her coffin being among them...)  I'll scout around the lot tonight and see if I can't get a list put together.

Update: Messed up: piano and light fixtures (they could be placed on walls, but do not disappear with walls down).  Worked OK: chairs, loveseat, 1x1 tables, stove, refrigerator, bookcases, desk, toilet and shower.  She had no bed, and I didn't wake her up to check the coffin since that has been reported.
« Last Edit: 2006 February 07, 14:45:47 by jack_d_spratt » Logged
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 February 06, 19:52:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem with cars and beds etc is related to the fact that these objects can have a specific sim associated with them.  A sim can own the car and they're supposed to learn which bed is theirs (are they? - news to me.  Anyway, after they die, they become very attached to their beds and get cross if you sell them).  Graves obviously have a sim attached.

I think the idea is that this part of the programming easily becomes corrupted.  I have shifted all three in inventories without problems but I tend to avoid it if possible.  You can move the graves with the 'move grave' function anyway. 

If something does get corrupted in the inventory, you can use SimPE to get rid of it.  I had a computer and a phone get corrupted (with 2 separate sims) and they would cause my game to crash if I tried to click on them.  I removed them from the memories for those sims (where they are stored - don't ask me why) using SimPE's memory browser.  'Twas Ancient Sim who told me how to do it (so thanks to them).

Inteen for AL, yay!
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 February 06, 20:08:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Never tried to inventory a car, but I did pack everything thing my sims owned before I moved.  It was fun, just like packing before moving (except faster and much easier Smiley.  But I did have problems with several objects not being able to placed near walls.  Namely the beds and the dressers.  Weird, but so typical ofl Maxis huh.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 February 06, 20:18:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

with the things not going next to walls thing...

if you place it on the lot and go back into live mode for a moment, then go back to the inventory - move it in, move it back out to the lot...  the object will now go against the wall.  Been a while since I tried it, but it does work.

The not going against walls thing also happens to career rewards - I didn't want to lose it, couldn't be bothered boolpropping myself a new one, so I figured I would just keep it in the inventory until I next wanted to use it.  When I went to get it back out again, it went against the wall.  I have tested with beds and other things, and it works every time.

cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 February 06, 20:23:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've yet to have a problem with an inventoried car. I've moved a few families and so far no troubles. I've had problems with the things not going next to walls but I'll give Ness' solution a try. I've also heard the moveobjects cheat helps to fix the problem.
Issy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 February 06, 20:33:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can never place beds etc near walls even if I save/exit lot.  Moveobject does the trick for me.

As for cars I've never had a problem either, maybe because I usually ever have one car per family and don't assign it to anyone in particular.

I've moved basically everything including furniture, electronics, you name it I've moved it Tongue with no problems.

Oh and I noticed that piano's can't be placed against the wall either just like the beds.

"Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction".  ~Antoine de Exupery
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 February 06, 21:02:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tombstones most definitely should not go into the inventory, since it's basically a character.

I asked Pescado about this, and he said that any multi-tile object should be avoided, but sometimes it's just unavoidable.

I've never noticed a problem with cars, but I have had problems with beds and dressers as mentioned above).  I didn't want to take the chance of the beds eventually becoming bugged, since ghosts are *really* temperamental if you sell their beds (like when they do eventually become bugged and Sims can't woohoo in them anymore), so I sell them early to head that off, just in case.
Viscountess
Batelle
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 February 06, 21:19:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would issues with inventory cause a sim to jump out of interactions with an object from their inventory?  I had a sim who couldn't seem to access some inventoried Smart Milk or use a computer from the inventory.  Deleting the objects and getting new ones solved the problem, but I'm not quite sure why there would've been one in the first place.
Fattz
« Reply #11 on: 2006 February 06, 22:03:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

with the things not going next to walls thing...

if you place it on the lot and go back into live mode for a moment, then go back to the inventory - move it in, move it back out to the lot...  the object will now go against the wall.  Been a while since I tried it, but it does work.

Oh, man, that happened to me with a dresser, and I never could figure out WHY! I really thought I was hallucinating!  Wink

Thank you!

And hi, everyone, I'm kinda new here... but not to TS2 or most things Sim Smiley
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 February 06, 23:33:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've sent several rich teens to college with their favorite sports car.  Grin I've never had any problems with cars in inventory.
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 February 06, 23:51:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would issues with inventory cause a sim to jump out of interactions with an object from their inventory?  I had a sim who couldn't seem to access some inventoried Smart Milk or use a computer from the inventory.  Deleting the objects and getting new ones solved the problem, but I'm not quite sure why there would've been one in the first place.

Yes, inventory bugs can cause jumping and other screw ups.  I figured this out a month ago or so when I moved a whole house, basically but every object they had in inventory..moved the sims and the lot was screwed up beyond belief.  I had so many objects I couldn't pinpoint which was causing the problem.   I salvaged their career rewards, moved them selling all their stuff this time and voila, problem fixed.

I have put pretty much everything in inventory at one point or another...cars & tombstones included.  I have found the less items I store there and immediatly removed them when I move the sim to a new lot or whatever, the less chance of inventory bugs happening.
Countess
Verona
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 February 07, 00:12:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My biggest problem has been putting items in inventory and the Sims total worth drops so much they can't afford to buy the house I was going to have them move into.

Have to go back into their inventory and take items out so they have enough money to move to the new house. I don't want to use the money cheat in this case, but can't figure a way around the drastic drop in finances. Any one else experiencing this? Or have a solution.
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2006 February 07, 00:49:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My biggest problem has been putting items in inventory and the Sims total worth drops so much they can't afford to buy the house I was going to have them move into.

Have to go back into their inventory and take items out so they have enough money to move to the new house. I don't want to use the money cheat in this case, but can't figure a way around the drastic drop in finances. Any one else experiencing this? Or have a solution.

Inge's mortgage shrubs?  Wink

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 February 07, 00:57:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, you could always use the familyfunds cheat to set the exact amount of cash a family has but that might be considered a money cheat.  Either that, or they're stuck at the current house until they make enough money or you merge another family with them.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 February 07, 03:01:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did upset a ghost by puttingher bed in an inventory once.  She complained about it being gone, and didn't recognize it when I put it back.

Also, if you put easels with a half-finished paintin on it in the inventory, you can't keep painting when you take it out.  You have to scrap the painting and start a new one.  But it's not a big problem.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
agcons
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 February 07, 06:36:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had no problems placing cars in inventory, but before I do so I set the ownership to <nobody>.  I haven't always had trouble with beds and dressers, but the first time I did I tried the moveobjects cheat, and they became unusable.  I haven't bothered putting them into inventory for a while because of that, but I'll try moving it onto the lot, then back, etc. the next time a sim moves house.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 February 07, 14:32:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had real problems moving sims from Downtown to Pleasantview with stuff in their inventories including the smoogo.  The lot I moved them to refused to load, when I finally got to the lot the sims were frozen and their want slots were rolling merriliy.  I ended up having to move them to an empty lot, selling everything and then moving them back.  (I couldn't even open the inventory on the lot I'd moved them to!)

But I've never had a problem moving sims to Uni from the main hood, or from one house to another within the hood, that could be attributed to the inventory.  (I just moved consort Capp into a new house with all the family tombstones except for Cordelia and Caliban who had already been resurrected by Tybalt, after which they'd all moved out and left Consort alone and in a filthy temper!  As far as I know the tombstones are ok, but since he isn't going to resurrect any more dead relatives, and they seem to have all given up haunting, I think it was probably for the best!)

Zephyr Zodiac
pamysue
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 February 07, 20:49:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had real problems moving sims from Downtown to Pleasantview with stuff in their inventories including the smoogo.  The lot I moved them to refused to load, when I finally got to the lot the sims were frozen and their want slots were rolling merriliy.  I ended up having to move them to an empty lot, selling everything and then moving them back.  (I couldn't even open the inventory on the lot I'd moved them to!)

I'm having this problem in my game if I move a family in an existing house to the family bin and then into a new house.  I thought it was just in my old hood that is horribly bloated, but it happened the first time I tried in my brand new hood with less than 100 characters.  The only thing in either of the Sims' inventory was their cell phones, a couple of love notes and one computer.  I sold everything else before moving.  I have no idea what is causing this.

It's a shame that stupidity isn't painful.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 February 07, 20:53:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem can also be caused by having the extra want slots from using the debugger.  The answer to this is, first move your family to the bin, then enter the house in build mode and make a slight change to it, save, exit and then move your family in.  It's a nuisance, but at least it works.

Zephyr Zodiac
pamysue
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 February 08, 16:14:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem can also be caused by having the extra want slots from using the debugger.  The answer to this is, first move your family to the bin, then enter the house in build mode and make a slight change to it, save, exit and then move your family in.  It's a nuisance, but at least it works.

That could be it then, as this is a new hood and I have upgraded all the adult Sims with the debugger.  I will give that a try.  Thanks

It's a shame that stupidity isn't painful.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 February 08, 16:26:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've recently been informed that the latest version of the debugger should fix this problem.

Zephyr Zodiac
MokeyHokey
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 February 08, 17:48:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seems like it's retroactive, too. I clicked on it with a sim that had already been "upgraded" months ago, and he got the option to upgrade/select a major.  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: