More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 16:27:56

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Creating default skin replacement - simplified method.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Creating default skin replacement - simplified method.  (Read 101590 times)
Malifecent
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Creating default skin replacement - simplified method.
« Reply #50 on: 2007 March 25, 22:05:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, I did download a default from MTS2. I kinda like the viney looking skin, but wanted a more realistic female. So I did make the changes to the defaults I had dopwnloaded, except now they look pixelly in game. What can I do to prevent that?
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: 2007 March 25, 22:21:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, I did download a default from MTS2. I kinda like the viney looking skin, but wanted a more realistic female. So I did make the changes to the defaults I had dopwnloaded, except now they look pixelly in game. What can I do to prevent that?

Do you have the nvidia DDS utilities installed, and SimPE set up to use them?  You need to have that done, then choose "Build DXT" when you right-click a texture to replace it, rather than using Import.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2007 April 11, 20:51:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sorry if this is a bit necromantic, but does anyone know of a way to keep things from getting blurry when importing an alpha channel? I already have the DDS utilities installed, and can't seem to figure it out.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2007 April 11, 21:29:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If anyone likes the vines on the Plant Sim skin, but not the skin itself, here's something that will help create a better default replacement: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=226196

Fail.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: 2007 April 12, 00:16:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sorry if this is a bit necromantic, but does anyone know of a way to keep things from getting blurry when importing an alpha channel? I already have the DDS utilities installed, and can't seem to figure it out.

Try playing around with the order in which you import the texture vs. the alpha channel, and also with the alpha settings when you save the texture in your editing program.  I never did quite figure out what the problem was with some of mine, but I managed to fix them by more or less hammering away with a mallet of blunt ignorance until it worked.  XD

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2007 April 12, 21:14:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Try playing around with the order in which you import the texture vs. the alpha channel, and also with the alpha settings when you save the texture in your editing program.  I never did quite figure out what the problem was with some of mine, but I managed to fix them by more or less hammering away with a mallet of blunt ignorance until it worked.  XD

The order seems to have little effect, because the alpha is overwritten when you select the "Build DXT" option. Though I could've tried simply importing the skin, I guess. Either way, I remembered that my image editing program allowed for transparency, and simply applied it there, instead of through SimPE. After that, I simply selected "Build DXT" again and it worked without a problem.
MissKitty
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2007 April 21, 08:57:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, this is easy! Of course I just did the whole thing without committing but... It's not too hard to do again. ^_^ Yay, I can have all my favourite skins as defaults now if I like Cheesy

I've also built a new default PT face and now I just need to be able to make new default PT eyes and I'll be set for having some non-fugly alien babies!  Grin

Oh and you are truly Awesome for writing this in a way that even a noob like me can understand. Kudos.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2007 April 22, 02:00:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Glad I helped Smiley
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2008 July 29, 19:31:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried the batch converter shareware dealie someone recommended earlier in this thread. DO NOT USE IT. It will add a little label to every image it converts, and ruin your textures.

Fortunately, I'd only done one of the skins before I noticed, instead of all four. Now every sim looks like the victim of some sort of vampire attack with a bandage on their neck.

jmtmom
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2008 July 30, 15:43:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Try FastStone Photo Resizer here: http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm
mariloo
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2011 April 16, 05:48:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you so much for this tutorial, I have managed to do everything so far but now I'm stuck on importing  the new textures. You say to open the default skin replacement file that will be the "host" for your new texture files  but I don't know where to find that! I tried to figure out by exploring around SimPe, but I never found any texture files. Please help! Sorry but I'm not that tech smart. Anyone know where to find it? Thanks in advance!
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2011 April 21, 14:16:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you haven't already, download a default skintone replacement file that someone else made, then you open that file in simpe to import your textures into.
mariloo
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2011 April 25, 22:33:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Once you have the file, how do you open it in SimPe?  Where is it located? Btw thanks for replying!!
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2011 May 01, 16:10:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Where the file is depends on where you downloaded it to and where you unzipped it to. 

Simpe -> file -> open -> browse to where you put the package file
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2011 May 09, 03:59:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is probably a dumb question, but why don't default skins include teen female faces? Do they pull from adult?

Also, does it work to just use a section of the umhairbald-skin-s1,2,3 and 4_txtr (amhair~hair~stdMatBaseTextureName.png) to recolour Crammyboy's penis?

The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.
   Guards! Guards! (Terry Pratchett)
Aquilegia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: 2011 May 09, 11:05:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is probably a dumb question, but why don't default skins include teen female faces? Do they pull from adult?

The do pull from adult; in fact, the game files don't have tf face files at all.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2011 May 09, 23:40:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, does it work to just use a section of the umhairbald-skin-s1,2,3 and 4_txtr (amhair~hair~stdMatBaseTextureName.png) to recolour Crammyboy's penis?

Yes, although there will be a lack of details (like the veins). 
mariloo
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2011 May 10, 05:11:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's the thing I have a problem with, I don't what file! I downloaded Christian Love's Custom skintone selector and in game I selected maxis and tan for one sim and automatically all of my sims changed from the regular skintones from game to custom ones. I like that it did that, but I don't like the color of one of the skintones and I want to change it. (thats why i'm here Smiley lol) So I'm not sure. Should I open Christian Love's Custom skintone selector which is actually an item?  Huh
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2011 May 11, 01:02:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is kinda the wrong thread for your question. The MTS download thread contains detailed instruction and some troubleshooting, the MATY tutorial on customising the Skintone Selector is here . Hope that helps.

The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.
mariloo
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2011 May 11, 02:03:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Never mind!!!  I figured it out!! I actually did download some default skin replacements a few years ago and I forgot. I guess when I used the skintone selector it activated them or something. So happy I found them, thank you so much for your help. Smiley Ha ha I feel dumb. Wink
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2011 May 11, 06:50:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Never mind!!!  I figured it out!! I actually did download some default skin replacements a few years ago and I forgot. I guess when I used the skintone selector it activated them or something. So happy I found them, thank you so much for your help. Smiley Ha ha I feel dumb. Wink

Way to state the obvious!

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2011 May 11, 15:19:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, although there will be a lack of details (like the veins). 

Yeeaah...I was looking at the penis texture files and was at a loss as to how to go about recolouring them. I made defaults out of these skins, using Ghost, Ashes, Vanity and Dust as defaults for my new northern European-ish medieval hood. Those skintones are hard to match, as I discovered to my frustration when making different nips for my adult and elder females. I'm going to try sampling the umhairbald textures and using bucket flood on the templates. If that doesn't work, I'm at a loss.

Anyway, awesome, awesome tutorial...you, angelyne and the other contributors to this thread made the whole previously daunting process easy.

Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2011 May 14, 09:20:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley

It's been awhile since I edited the penis textures so I forget exactly what I tried to keep the details but I know I ended up just copying & pasting the umhairbald textures (over the penis textures).  I may have also made them a tad bit lighter because they appeared a bit darker on the penis.  The lack of veins doesn't bother me since I don't get close enough with the camera to notice.
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2011 May 18, 06:42:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, I just had a serious WTF moment here. My skins had been working perfectly, but I just had a baby born who was assigned a completely random (and completely inappropriate) custom skin (both parents have my defaults). Is this a problem with the skins, a pregnancy controller issue, or...what? (I checked in SimPE, and instead of a nice 1 or 2--the parents skintones--the kid had e087abdf-4f57-ac83-81fd-e38efdca0486, so it doesn't appear that the skins themselves are the problem...does it?)

Aquilegia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: 2011 May 18, 14:32:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Croiduire, it sounds like that custom skin is probably geneticized at some value between the two default skins, meaning that it's on the spectrum with the defaults and babies can be born with that skin rather than a default. Check the genetic line in the skintone XML -- if it reads anything other than 0, that means it was geneticized.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: