More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 02, 08:00:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Logitech mouse and The Sims 2 and this big HUGE hammer!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Logitech mouse and The Sims 2 and this big HUGE hammer!  (Read 11202 times)
Kestran
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Logitech mouse and The Sims 2 and this big HUGE hammer!
« on: 2006 February 04, 14:17:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have the chance of saving my mouse from untimely crushing.

The problem is that I can't get the middle button to work in Sims 2. Actually it doesn't even work anywhere else except I can scroll up and down by twisting it. But when I PUSH on it, that scrolling thing doesn't work. And THAT is what I need. What I mean is that when  you push it (the button) you can manipulate the view better and such in the Sims 2. And go closer to the Sims. Well. I can't do that with this logitech mouse and yes I have fiddled with the Logitech software button setting thing that came with it. But no go. And I really need that middle button other wise the game is unplayable. I can't get the views I really need to play.

So...anyway to disable the Logitech software and just go with the regular windows mouse settings? I have tried to go to the Control Panel and go into the Mouse thingie there but all I get is this damned logitech thing.

I know it is possible because I did that before but I can't remember for the life of me how to do so again. Please please someone save my mouse. Please?
kaarinah
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Logitech mouse and The Sims 2 and this big HUGE hammer!
« Reply #1 on: 2006 February 04, 14:22:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recently bought a Logitech mouse that i really love, but I have to turn off the software every time I play because the pressing scroll wheel to move the camera angle doesn't work with it on. Maybe the same thing would work for you.
Kestran
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 February 04, 14:28:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, but how do you turn it off?
kaarinah
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 February 04, 14:35:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a symbol of it in the field with the time, just right-clicked and chose end (or whatever it says in English, mine is in Swedish). Otherwise you probably have to find it in the quick-start and disable it there.
Kestran
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 February 04, 14:58:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah. If you mean the mouse icon it aint there. Doesn't exist there actually. I usually turn it off with Windows Task Manager...called EM_something or other-can't remember as I have already turned it off. I turn it and some other unessessary progs there each time I restart my computer. I thought that would do it but it doesn't anymore.

What is quick start? Where do I find it?
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 February 04, 15:12:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know about all that disabling stuffs, but did you put a tick in 'Scroll in Active Window Only'? You know, click on the 'Start' button, go to 'control panel', 'printers and other hardware', click on 'mouse', and from mouse properties, click on 'buttons', you should see the 'Scroll in Active Window Only' option below 'Use MS Office Compatible Scroll Only'.

When I re-installed windows, I found myself unable to scroll with the wheel, I checked the 'Scroll in Active Window Only' option and I can use the middle button to zoom in and out in the game again. Worked for me Undecided.
kaarinah
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 February 04, 15:15:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure about this since it was some time ago I used it.

In autostart (Start/Programs) I have the Logitech programs, as far as I remember you only have to delete them. That way you can still start them yourself (some games run better with the software on), but it won't start every time the computer does. I'm not sure this is enough though. If it isn't you have to find the Autostart folder (which I know I found at some point but can't remember where) and remove it there.

It is also possible to just uninstall the software with add/remove programs. At least if you have the Logitech SetPoint that I have.

I tried every setting I found before closing the software, everything would work perfectly except in The Sims2. Even there everything but pressing the scroll-whell would work. Of course that doesn't mean I didn't miss some option...
Kestran
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 February 04, 15:45:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

CuriousSpurious: Nope. That doesn't work. When I go into Control Panel there is an icon for the mouse--seperate, not with the printers&fax thing--where I go to but that just leads to the Logitech thingie and as I already said, I have tried everything there to fix this and it don't work. And I can scroll with the wheel. I just can't get it to scroll when I push on it. And that is the feature I need. Thanks though  Smiley

kaarinah: Ah. thank you. I found (Start/Programs) and did that and restarted the computer but no go. It still doesn't work.

It is also possible to just uninstall the software with add/remove programs. At least if you have the Logitech SetPoint that I have.

Ho yeah. I thought about that...but I have been too nervous to do so. Afraid it would do things worse. I like to keep that as a last option though...but what is Logitech SetPoint?
kaarinah
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 February 04, 15:50:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SetPoint is the Logitech software I got with the mouse. With it it's possible to change what the buttons does, speed and such. I think it just is a later version of their drivers. It can even recognise some games to customise the mouse for them and allows you to save any preferences you have for different games. The Sims2 was not one of the games it recognized though and as I said the pressing of the scroll wheel didn't work in game.

I'm afraid that I am out of ideas. Hopefully someone else can give you more help.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 February 04, 16:34:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Set your middle mouse button to "middle button", not whatever it is set to by default by the software. Autoscroll (MS Office compatible) /may/ also work.
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2006 February 04, 16:36:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what I was just gonna say. Go to Mouse in Control Panel, then click your Buttons Tab. Scroll down until you find the number of your middle button and change the function to Middle Button (by default, Logitech software sets it to Universal Scroll I think it is).

I have a logitech mouse and this is what I have to do to get my mouse to work correctly in the Sims2.

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 February 04, 18:05:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just can't get it to scroll when I push on it. And that is the feature I need.

Ohh, sorry, I thought you couldn't zoom or something. After updating the driver, I tried for the longest time to get back that holding-down-the-middle-button-to-(half) rotate-the-lot function myself. Couldn't remember what the setting was before that, tried this and that and finally gave up, been using ctr-right-click for about a year now, maybe Tongue.

"Middle button", hmm, I'll be trying that myself. I missed being able to hold down the middle button to rotate the lot, it was more precise than using the < > keys. Thanks for asking this question, Kestran Grin.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 February 04, 19:06:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a Logitech mouse as well, and that was precisely my problem when I first got the game - the middle button wouldn't scroll. Buuut...after a quick glance at Maxis troubleshooting FAQs, I had the function up and running in a matter of minutes. You have to set it to "middle button" is all. Pple never seem to bother with the standard troubleshooting pages, but it being more likely that what you're experiencing, a million other pple are experiencing as well, it'll probably answer most of the little issues you have.
kaarinah
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 February 04, 19:19:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just tested it and setting it to middle button did work. I had totally missed that option.

Thank you for the tip, it's nice to be able to use all the features of the mouse.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 February 04, 19:24:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also have a Logitech mouse, and I have set the middle scroll button to be the "middle button" with the Logitech software. It works in the game for me, both for scrolling and pushing.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
Kestran
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 February 04, 20:27:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope  Embarrassed The middle button doesnt work for me. BUT it did give me the scrolling thing into the game. What I mean that not pushing on it but just rolling the button to and fro I can go close and away. But when I click on the button nothing happens as usual. It also doesn't work anywhere else either. Not even in Firefox, or anywhere else I know I can use the button.

But CuriousSpurious I would kiss you if I could Kiss The ctr-right-click DOES WORK! Whee at least I can finally rotate the lots all I want until I can fix that dratted middle button  Grin Thanks alot CuriousSpurious (great nick btw).

But if anyone have any other ideas how to get that middle button of mine to work--eyes her mouse evilly--I'd be ever so greatful. And so would my mouse. I still have half a mind to use that hammer on it Angry
Kristalrose
Feckless Fool

I'll do anything for my kids!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 February 04, 22:53:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a track-ball by logitech and love it.  If it wasn't for my track ball, I think I'd have carpal-tunnel by now.  My middle "scroll" button works fine and I've never had an issue.  I would highly reccomend them.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 February 05, 03:49:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only thing that works with my fancy logitech mouse is turning the software off.
That means all the fancy buttons on my keyboard won't work, but it really seems to be the only way; there is no setting I can put on the button to make it work in Sims 2.  And trust me, I've tried every option in my software settings.

I only change the camera view when I need to take screenshots, so it doesn't bother me too often, but I do miss it.  I just figure I need a fancy keyboard and mouse more than I need to see my sims from above.

Edit:  I just need to point out that the software that comes with Logitech mouses (or is it mice?) are different depending on how fancy the mouse is.  A simple three or four button logitech mouse will be regognized by windows without any software and you can use the control panel settings to set functions for the various buttons.  If the mouse has more than 4 buttons (mine has 8 I think) or if you also have a fancy keyboard with extra functions, the software that comes with is needed to enable those extra functions.  If you close the software you just get the basic functions.
« Last Edit: 2006 February 05, 03:55:43 by Gwill » Logged

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2006 February 05, 04:12:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll jump on the band wagon of bad and/or possibly misleading advice and throw my two cents in for what it's worth.

I recently had issues with my logitech mouse as well. It is a wireless USB mouse to boot. It worked fine, but after fiddling around with my harddrives, I had disconnected it for a while and I was using a different mouse. I eventually reconnected it, and I suddenly lost the ability to scroll and manipulate the camera with the middle button. Even trying to set the middle button property correctly, as jordi suggested, did not work. I was getting frustrated to no end. Sad

Anyways, it took a couple of tries, but I went to the logitech home page, redownloaded a copy of the mouse software/drivers. And after fiddling around, with uninstalling, rebooting, autodetecting, reinstalling the software, and setting the property to middle button, it finally worked. I don't remember the exact sequence of steps that it took me, as I tried a couple of things. But you probably should try completely uninstalling the mouse software. Then follow the general/original instructions for installing it.

Hopefully this will work for you as well. I have two logitech mouses connected, both with the middle buttons working, and the software running. I do not have to turn the software off as other people here mention they do. You shouldn't have to, unless you have something else that is conflicting with it. I suppose if closing the software works for you, then stick to it. For me, I still had problems when the software wasn't running. *shrugs* Perhaps your software and/or drivers have gotten corrupted somehow, and maybe a fresh download/install might correct it. Anyways, once I got used to using the middle button in TS2, I find that I couldn't really live without it. Tongue

Ste

Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 February 05, 04:39:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't believe I needed to install drivers for any mice or even my tablet on the computer I'm using now.  However, I did anyway so my tablet could act like an actual tablet and my mouse would tell me when the battery's dying.  I use a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 and all functions work with it.  Plus, it's the batteries in the thing last a really long time but I'm not getting the 6 months it says on the box.  However, I only had to replace them twice since I got the thing.  It also works quite a bit better than the wired mouse I had before, and it doesn't chew up batteries like the Micro Technologies wireless mouse that died in about a week.

Have you tried setting the wheel in the center to Autoscroll?  That's what my mouse is using, but it's probably a bit different than a Logitech since the drivers for Logitech mice are probably a lot different than a Microsoft one(The one with Microsoft's just adds onto the "Mouse" option on the control panel).  However, I think that the middle button works in TS2 no matter what it's set on with this thing.

I didn't know that hitting that middle button actually rotates the camera like the cameraman mode(TAB) I was using before.  I don't think I'll use it very often though.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 February 05, 07:49:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mouses (mice) do not use drivers as such.  It uses software.

Like I said, it works without the software, but the fancy functions are disabled.
The software settings overrides any control panel settings.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2006 February 05, 14:43:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Irregardless of what you call it, I'm sure you can find the proper software for your mouse. So... if you actually wanted to keep your fancy functions, you could probably find a way to get it to work. I assume you have Windows XP (since that's what most people have *shrugs*).

I find that USB devices tend to be a tad sensitive and/or quirky. I've often had to try using different USB slots or swapping certain devices because they seem to "prefer" a particular slot. Roll Eyes This was also a concern for one computer where we were using a USB hub. Some devices worked through the hub, and some devices had to be connected directly to the computer. *shrugs* If it isn't apparent already, I really hate hardware. Tongue

Ste

ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 February 05, 15:27:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Kestran, have you visited the Logitech website?  Coincidentally, PCworld's March issue reports an issue with the Logitech MX1000 laser mouse and its incompatability with Firefox.  A fix is available at the Logitech site.
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 February 05, 15:31:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"Irregardless", I take that it was used intentionally in place of regardless Tongue?

Anyway, Kestran, if you have a separate user a/c you play the Sims on, were you by any chance trying to change the settings somewhere else and expecting the changes to take place? Feel free to point and laugh at me, but I did just that last night Embarrassed. I have another a/c just for playing sims, but sometimes I copy over to do editing and testing in the other in case I screwed something up, then delete the backup after, when the game doesn't blow up. All that copying over and dragging and dropping, I have moments where I forget which a/c the game folder was in. When I started up the game, expecting to be able to use the middle button again, found that I couldn't, quit, changed the setting for that account I'm playing on and I got the middle button back Lips sealed.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2006 February 06, 06:41:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"Irregardless", I take that it was used intentionally in place of regardless Tongue?

Yes, that was intentional. Wink Irregardless of what's been said about it, I purposefully chose the word to be ironical. Grin

Ste

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: