More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 18:13:32

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Smart Door (23 Feb 2006 update)
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Smart Door (23 Feb 2006 update)  (Read 22350 times)
tunaisafish
Axe Murderer
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Smart Door (23 Feb 2006 update)
« on: 2006 February 01, 04:12:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

23 Feb 2006 - Added 4 more doors from EP1 and EP2i.
Fixed bug with autonomy and privacy setting.

This is the same download that is available at
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=129124
but I know that not all here have an account there.
The docs are included with in the download.

SmartDoor v0.105 for University plus Nightlife
By tunaisafish

Control where your sims can go, and what they wear when they get there.

INSTALLATION

Copy the package file in the "My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 Downloads" folder.
To uninstall, delete the package file.

FEATURES

* Change Sims clothes as they pass through doors.

- configure both directions separately.
   - Choose different outfits for certain sims or groups.
   - Change or leave unchanged, depending how the sim is currently dressed.

* Quick Configure for preset Access Modes.

- Normal         Acts just like a plain old door.
   - No Entry       Sims can only pass in one direction.
   - User Directed  Like No Entry, but will not block Sims if you are controlling them.
   - Halt Gender    Choose which gender to block.
   - Halt Ages      Choose which age groups to block.
   - No Visitors    Don't allow visitors through.
   - Keyholders     Give keys to those you want to pass.
   - 3's a Crowd    Choose how many sims are allowed in a room.

IMPORTANT
     Each of the above modes will always allow sims to exit from the room freely.
     When placing the door, make sure the arrows face in the direction of the exit.
     THE ARROWS MUST FACE OUT OF THE ROOM.

Use the 'Show Settings' menu to see what tweak options each mode provides.

* Control room access just the way you like it.

- Custom
     The custom mode allows you to combine any of the doors features.
     You can configure the entry and exit access separately.
     Before you choose a custom mode, select a preset mode that closely fits your
     specification.  There will be less to tweak.

* Shows the current settings on the menus.

Complex configurations can be made with this door, so to make it easier to know
   what the door will do each of the menu items displays the current setting.
   Also, the settings should be read in a clockwise direction if you want to know which
   option is tested first.
   Most menus will be hidden if you use a preset mode, to hide the clutter.

* Twelve keys (or fish).
   The door can remember up to 12 Sims by giving the sim a key and/or a fish.
   The fish is just another type of key.
   You can use these keyholders and fishholders in the clothes menus and the custom access mode.

* Two lock modes.
   Each side of the door can be set to unlocked, locked, or private.
   - unlocked  Sims pass freely.
   - locked    Checks that the sim passes the access rules.
   - private   As locked, but Sims without access will not be aware of other Sims or objects
               behind the locked door.  They lose their telepathy.
               For best results, only use the private option on rooms that only have one
               entrance.  A music room or bedroom for example.

COMPATIBILITY

Tested with both University and Nightlife installed.
Will NOT work with base game alone.
It may work with just one expansion pack installed, feedback welcome.

This door does not overwrite any global code, so it can safely exist
with other security systems on the same lot.
However, do not use 2 different access systems to control the same room.

It should work fine with the InTeenimator.

IN THE PIPELINE

So what is so "Smart" about this door?
Well, nothing yet, as you have to configure it yourself through the maze of menus.
The smart routines will allow the door to pickup it's configuration from the environment
when it is placed on a community lot, and an extra residential mode to automagically configure
the best options for it's current location.

THANKS

Special thanks go to Inge Jones for being too busy on more interesting stuff
to add all of my whims and fancies to her doors.

DISCLAIMER
No Sims were harmed in the making of this mod.
I can guarantee that yours will not be the first if you don't install it.

[404'ed!]
« Last Edit: 2006 February 23, 05:36:31 by tunaisafish » Logged

hedgekat
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: Smart Door
« Reply #1 on: 2006 February 01, 04:17:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

WOW!  I am gonna have to try this.   So many possibilities.   
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 February 01, 04:47:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shiny! Thanks this is great! Smiley

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 February 01, 10:43:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This door may be very useful for not "caught on cheating" by the spouse...Smiley.
cristalfiona
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 February 01, 10:57:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This door may be very useful for not "caught on cheating" by the spouse...Smiley.

Great minds think alike  Grin
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 February 01, 13:04:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you for this! This is definately more awesomely shiny! Even something that I mentioned in that running thread about clothing options. I vaguely recalled Inge having doors with a similar function. But this seems like a neat thing to have tons of options. I love options!

A few quick stupid q's:

What's with the fish?

I love automagically (Yes, that's NOT a question)!

Is this one door right now (You mention you will put all Maxis singles in a package, so I'm interpreting this to mean that currently, this is only one door)?

Can you give keys to anyone? Even friends, either playable on other lots or townies? For example, if I want my teen to keep his door locked to his parents and sibs, but allow only his/her friends to come and go as they please, I could give them keys, right?

What about the maid, does the maid need a key to clean any locked or private doors? If so, can you make an exception for maids?

Ste

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 February 01, 13:35:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I vaguely recalled Inge having doors with a similar function. But this seems like a neat thing to have tons of options. I love options!

Well Tunaisafish knows I said anyone's welcome to take any of my ideas and develop them further, and people had been asking me for this and that to be added to my doors for ages and what with the school and the prison it was beginning to look unlikely I'd get round to it in any reasonable time frame.   I can think of a few places in my own game I could use this, especially with the extra keyholders on it Cheesy

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 February 01, 13:43:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have one question, do your doors pull every single texture and apply them to every single door? I have this issue with Inges doors and cant use them because they have the wrong textures on them and look hideous.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2006 February 01, 13:50:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lol!  They have the right textures too - I just went through a phase (before we could do our own recolours) of making all the door colours available for all the doors - including ones they didn't fit.  But you should have found the usual colours there too.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 February 01, 14:22:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didnt mean any offense by that Inge, but no I dont have the normal textures on mine, it pulls from the other doors or something, its weird. Its like all the textures are mixed up for your doors (in my game) and they dont have any of the correct textures. I was really bummed about it but couldnt figure out to make it stop pulling textures form other doors.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2006 February 01, 14:32:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not offended but you didn't really have to wait all this time before saying you were having a problem with the original ones Smiley   I could have told you how to get rid of the unwanted colours easily.

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 February 01, 14:40:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am sorry Inge, I did ask you long ago on your yahoo group, you never replied, so I figured it was just me. But I would be more than greatful for you to tell me now! Cheesy Because I really really like all your doors/arches and I would really really like to use them.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2006 February 01, 15:09:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok well basically I shoved in lots of extra MMATs, copies of the ones from the other doors, and gave them all the GUID of the new door that was in the package.   All you have to do is you can either go through them manually to see which ones don't belong and simply delete them and save the package, or you can delete *all* the MMATs and extract the right ones from the original door.  I actually made a guide for if someone made a recolour for the original and you wanted to add it to a hacked door, and you could probably use it in reverse for getting rid of the unwanted ones.  http://www.simlogical.com/externally_accessible/ApplyCustomColours_tutorial/ApplyCustomColours.htm

I think the easiest though is just to delete by hand.  For example, if you open 4Key0PanelDoorNPCs.package, and look at the Material Override (MMAT) group of packed files, they have names that make it easy to spot which ones are wrong.   The ones that start doorvalue_ are the ones for the cheap door and ones with other names such as doorquaint_ or doorwalnut_ want deleting.

tunaisafish
Axe Murderer
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 February 01, 19:07:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

syberspunk:

The fish acts just like the keys, in that they are a way to define a group of sims to use in the access or clothes choosing functions.
BTW, in custom, you can change it so that keys or fish block access.

Yes, I will add all the Maxis game doors to this single package.  I just did one to start with for testing. It's the only one so far.
Oh, I forgot to say that this package includes the diagonal version of that door too.  It works just the same, but if you move a door from a diagonal
wall to a straight (or vice versa) the options go back to the default, as they are different objects.

You can give keys to anyone on the lot, just as Inge's keyholder doors work.  You could give a key to the maid but...

My keyholder mode is sliigtly different to Inge's, which you can see if you switch from keyholder to custom mode to view all options.
NPCs are allowed through locked keyholder doors (which is how Inges' work).
Also, I have set the 'Non Autonomous' Pass Override.  This means that you can manually send in any controllable sim through the door.
More importantly you can tell your keyholder to go lie on their bed, and 'ask to join' a non keyholder and they won't be stopped at the door.

The 'non autonomous' is also useful for the macrotastics commands.  I found I couldn't use Inges doors on a toilet door as 'Use Bathroom' would continuously try to send the sim into a locked room.

Nectere, Inge:

Textures.  Yep, I'll put just the original maxis textures for each door in, and have the same default ones.
I found something strange when making the door.  I only had the default texture,  but when the door is placed on a diagonal wall
it picks up the original door colours on its own!  I couldn't reproduce this trick with the straight door though.  When moved between diag and straight the door kept the recolour.

Gali:

Er... By 'not caught cheating', if you mean that the 'cheated on sim' will not be able to 'slap' the offender then that is right.
Even if the door is set on private, both sims will still get the memories, but at least the offender will not end up furious for being slapped.
He... then with Syberspunks fix it will only be the offender that has to apologize Smiley

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2006 February 01, 19:16:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, I have set the 'Non Autonomous' Pass Override.

I was thinking of trying to do something like this with my classroom doors, so you can "excuse" a child for calls of nature.  I'll have a look and see how you've done it

syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2006 February 02, 00:55:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

syberspunk:

The fish acts just like the keys, in that they are a way to define a group of sims to use in the access or clothes choosing functions.
BTW, in custom, you can change it so that keys or fish block access.

That's all well and good. I understood that. I was kinda half joking and just wondering... why fish? Am I missing something? It's not a jesus thing is it? Why not loaves... or tongues... Tongue No offense... I'm Catholic. No... really. Grin

Yes, I will add all the Maxis game doors to this single package.  I just did one to start with for testing. It's the only one so far.
Oh, I forgot to say that this package includes the diagonal version of that door too.  It works just the same, but if you move a door from a diagonal
wall to a straight (or vice versa) the options go back to the default, as they are different objects.

Gwhaaa? So... there are separate objects for each door? A regular and a diagonal version? Does that mean they have separate GUIDs? Me confused. Um... I guess it won't matter so much to me, so long as all of this stuff is blinvisible and beneath the surface. I suppose I don't have to know or care more about it. Lol. No offense, but extra info is just confusing to my pea-sized brain cell. Grin

You can give keys to anyone on the lot, just as Inge's keyholder doors work.  You could give a key to the maid but...

My keyholder mode is sliigtly different to Inge's, which you can see if you switch from keyholder to custom mode to view all options.
NPCs are allowed through locked keyholder doors (which is how Inges' work).
Also, I have set the 'Non Autonomous' Pass Override.  This means that you can manually send in any controllable sim through the door.
More importantly you can tell your keyholder to go lie on their bed, and 'ask to join' a non keyholder and they won't be stopped at the door.

The 'non autonomous' is also useful for the macrotastics commands.  I found I couldn't use Inges doors on a toilet door as 'Use Bathroom' would continuously try to send the sim into a locked room.

Ahh... ok. Totally awesome! So... back to the maid thing... basically you are saying that maids don't really need keys (well, at least maids that are on the job) since they can bypass locked doors. However... just to be sure, you answered saying locked but did not necessarily say private. Since private turns rooms into blackholes that are blinvisible to Sim telepathy, does that mean that maids won't know to clean up those rooms, if they need cleaning.

Alternatively... what if I want to block the maids, such as the case where I'd prefer they not waste time climbing up and down stairs just to Make Beds, which seems to have a higher priority Roll Eyes than actually cleaning up dishes, puddles, toilets, tubs, and counters. Tongue

Er... By 'not caught cheating', if you mean that the 'cheated on sim' will not be able to 'slap' the offender then that is right.
Even if the door is set on private, both sims will still get the memories, but at least the offender will not end up furious for being slapped.
He... then with Syberspunks fix it will only be the offender that has to apologize Smiley

Ahh... thanks for clarificating that. I wanted to ask what gali meant by that... but since someone else understood, I figured I was just too dumb and didn't want to bother exposing myself. Grin *brain fart* Er... excuse me. I guess privatizing doors won't block sim telepathic jealousy?

Ste

tunaisafish
Axe Murderer
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 February 02, 14:00:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Updated - 6 more doors  Grin

I was kinda half joking and just wondering... why fish? Am I missing something?

Product Branding  Wink
I was trying to think of different words for a key that were small.  I thought too long, so decided a fish would do.

Does that mean they have separate GUIDs?

Yep, actually each door model has five.  They're registered so they shouldn't cause a conflict.
This last upload has sent my brain to jelly, I feel like I've been doing nothing but cutting and pasting GUIDs for a week.
There's a lot more jiggery pokery to do as you need to link the two related door objects, and then fiddle with wotsits so that they will all live happily in one package.

Ahh... ok. Totally awesome! So... back to the maid thing... basically you are saying that maids don't really need keys (well, at least maids that are on the job) since they can bypass locked doors. However... just to be sure, you answered saying locked but did not necessarily say private. Since private turns rooms into blackholes that are blinvisible to Sim telepathy, does that mean that maids won't know to clean up those rooms, if they need cleaning.

The sims are only blind the the objects behind the door when they would have access blocked.  So your maid will still see your messy beds when 'on the job' as she passes as an NPC.  She won't see through a private door when just visiting though, unless she passes another test.

Alternatively... what if I want to block the maids, such as the case where I'd prefer they not waste time climbing up and down stairs just to Make Beds, which seems to have a higher priority Roll Eyes than actually cleaning up dishes, puddles, toilets, tubs, and counters. Tongue

Hey, cool idea.

OK, lets assume you have set 'keyholders' mode and given keys for the bedroom to your sleeper sims.
Now switch to 'custom'
  Either toggle/disable the NPC checking.  Now no NPCs (bar a few specials, Reaper, Bunny, etc.) can enter.
  Or, Give your maid a fish, and set it to Halt Fishholders - for just that specific sim.

Remember, with the custom access mode, you should be able to read around the menu in a clockwise direction looking for the first check that matches your sim.
The first test that matches - results in an immediate Pass/Halt.

Ahh... thanks for clarificating that. I wanted to ask what gali meant by that... but since someone else understood, I figured I was just too dumb and didn't want to bother exposing myself. Grin *brain fart* Er... excuse me. I guess privatizing doors won't block sim telepathic jealousy?

The jealousy emitter travels through walls.  What would it look like if it had to open doors ? Smiley
The 3's a crowd would be handy if your cheating sim wanted to make sure the aother half didn't accidentally wander in when they were entertaining.
You can cut down the jealously to 'room only' using casual romance, or use LizzLove's bed to turn it off completely.
This is just one more tool in the safe WooHoo asenal Smiley

Thanks for the questions, I'll be reading back through these when I WTFM some more  Roll Eyes

syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
Re: Smart Door (updated 2 Feb 2006)
« Reply #17 on: 2006 February 02, 14:36:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Product Branding  Wink
I was trying to think of different words for a key that were small.  I thought too long, so decided a fish would do.

Ahh... I kinda figured, but I was just wondering. Fishes... hehe. Grin

This last upload has sent my brain to jelly, I feel like I've been doing nothing but cutting and pasting GUIDs for a week.
There's a lot more jiggery pokery to do as you need to link the two related door objects, and then fiddle with wotsits so that they will all live happily in one package.

Hehe. Yeah, just trying to even contemplate the tangled mess you have to deal with turns my brain to jelly. Wink I wish there was an easier way to cut/paste and/or do multiple updates of GUIDs in BHAVs. Like, if you're editing a single BHAV, it would be nice to be able to sort of do a search/replace kind of thing.

The sims are only blind the the objects behind the door when they would have access blocked.  So your maid will still see your messy beds when 'on the job' as she passes as an NPC.  She won't see through a private door when just visiting though, unless she passes another test.

Awesome!

Remember, with the custom access mode, you should be able to read around the menu in a clockwise direction looking for the first check that matches your sim.
The first test that matches - results in an immediate Pass/Halt.

Even more awesome! Just to be sure, but I think I understand it, keys and fishies are separate. You can give keys to some and fishes to others, and then you can permit keyholders but block fishholders, right? What a bloody brilliant idea!!! It's silly that maxis didn't think to have lockable doors. I really love this idea. Too bad I can't replace all the maxis doors with yours. Hehe. Grin

I don't know if this is possible, since I rarely use them, but when you're done adding your doors, would it be too much trouble to ask for a custom Collection package so that we can have immediate access to them? I don't remember if Collections are only for Buy mode or if they can be made for Build mode as well.

This is just one more tool in the safe WooHoo asenal Smiley

Thanks for the questions, I'll be reading back through these when I WTFM some more  Roll Eyes

Hehe, yeah, I figured as much. The romancemod definately helps out with this, so I have less of a problem. It's not that big of a deal really, but it's just silly to think that a sim across the lot automagically Wink knows when their lover is cheating on them. But it's just a game, I should really learn to live with some of the silly things. Anyways, in the meantime, I'll be patiently waiting for your updates. Smiley

Ste

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 February 02, 14:43:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Collections work in build as well as buy mode.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2006 February 02, 15:55:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A fish is a named ban?

tunaisafish
Axe Murderer
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 February 02, 16:16:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The fish is whatever you want it to be Inge  Grin

I've set up fish to ban in the access routines, but the test is disabled on the preset modes.
You can only activate to Pass/Halt fishholders with the custom mode.

The key and fish just define two groups of sims that the doors knows.
If you enable the clothes change options, you can use the fishholders list there too.

Using this you could have a couple enter their private bedroom and both change into the clothes that turn on their partner.
That's the sort of thing I will be adding to the 'smartness', as you can get a good idea of who's bedroom it is by various means.

I'll WTFM before I do any more updates on this.

Ste, Jordi:
Collections, Yep I'll look into that.
I'm going to have dresscode signs and access doormats at some point, so hopefully they can go into the same collection.

tunaisafish
Axe Murderer
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Re: Smart Door (updated 8 Feb 2006)
« Reply #21 on: 2006 February 08, 01:34:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks to all for asking questions in this thread Smiley

I've put together a HOWTO document that should make it easier to quickly get going with the door.
There's also an advanced section for those that love to dabble.

Should be so much clearer now Smiley

tunaisafish
Axe Murderer
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Re: Smart Door (16 Feb 2006 update)
« Reply #22 on: 2006 February 16, 04:30:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

v0.104 (16 Feb 2006)
  Changed BHAV format for backwards Uni compatible.
  Added Bad Door Placement warning.
  Added Access Mode Description Strings.
  Added Custom Access Mode 'Door State Values'.
  Adjusted defaults for "3's a crowd" mode.

Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 February 16, 13:30:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The "howto" file says the door will not change the clothes of toddlers and children.  Why not?  Surely for kids at least this wouldn't be too different from the way it works for teens and up?  And I for one would really love a clothes-changing door that works for toddlers, so they don't crawl around in their pj's all day long....

Karen
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2006 February 16, 13:35:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With children it's ok, but unless something changed with NL, if you send a toddler through a door set to formal, they end up stark naked.  It looks cute, but not quite the right time for it if everyone else is in formal Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: