More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 21:10:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Neighborhood apocalypse - on purpose?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Neighborhood apocalypse - on purpose?  (Read 20475 times)
Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
Neighborhood apocalypse - on purpose?
« on: 2006 January 17, 23:26:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Semi-random thought/idea/request...

Well, I'm a fan of post-apocalyptic stories, writing and reading them, and also a medieval history buff, owning several books on the Black Death. So I had a thought about the Sims, and namely when the neighborhood starts getting big and unwieldy.

I was wondering if it was possible at all to create a Hack of the Apocalypse - namely, some hack which, when activated, will kill off a set percentage of your Sims at random. Even better to be able to choose between several percentages, if possible. Sure, you can fabricate this with current death hacks, but having to choose which Sims die is no fun - at least for me. There's some Sims I'd hate to lose, but if it makes the story of the survivors any more interesting... eh, I'd go for it. Obviously not a hack you'd use every day, but I think it'd make things interesting in a failing 'hood. *grin*

Not sure how it could be implemented, as the diseases in-game aren't very deadly unless you leave a Sim-uncured for a long time as a visitor, or if it even can at all... which is why I'm asking the experts. Heh heh.
Syera
Exasperating Eyesore

A well-stocked toolkit can fix anything...

View Profile WWW
Re: Neighborhood apocalypse - on purpose?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 January 17, 23:32:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you want a post-apocalyptic neighborhood, just borrow a local four-year-old and let him play your game for a few hours.   Grin

The BogSims Institute - We've been updating these days...
siggylove
Furry!
Knuckleheaded Knob

Mr Flibble's very cross

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 January 17, 23:35:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would definately use that lol!  There's been a few times I would have welcomed the four horsemen to come and devastate a neighbourhood that's gone belly-up Cheesy

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me, than a full frontal lobotamy
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 January 17, 23:53:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Give them the flu and food poisonning, neglect them (leave them on freewill) and see who lives and who dies?
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2006 January 18, 00:29:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How about you visit each lot in turn and stand all the resident Sims in a circle.  In the centre of the circle, put a pair of scissors (Run With variety).  Do all this with the pause button on.  When you're ready, unpause and shout "Go!" and see who gets to the scissors first.  Continue in this way throughout all lots, until you have a lovely collection of pretty pink ghosties.  Repeat when necessary.  You may also like to invite a collection of townies at a time to an empty lot (apart from the scissors, of course) and follow the same procedure.  Chances are you'll have a lovely time and least the Sims who die will die happy (sort of). Off you go then, snip snip.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

SL Diva or TS2 Drama Queen? Uh...both!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 January 18, 00:36:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ancient, I keep a scissors on each lot in my custom neighbourhood - just in case!  When Maxis first launched the scissors, it was deadly.  Then they updated it; now my sims never go near it, not even on freewill.  It used to be much more of a 'fun' object.

happy now :-)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 January 18, 07:39:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, there's always decimation. Summon every single sim in the neighborhood, then line them up and kill every 10th sim.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
terrakosmos
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 January 18, 08:58:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, I never really thought about the etymology of the word "decimation."
*Cue PSA jingle* The More You Know!

sandilou - I agree about the scissors. It seems like it takes such a long time for them to "slice" themselves with the scissors. I ought to start using the reindeer for speedier deaths.

I really miss the indoor fireworks+rug=boom feature from the original Sims. And the way the children used to scream when you starved them to death.

Geez, I'm a mean sim-goddess.
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 January 18, 10:16:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ancient, I keep a scissors on each lot in my custom neighbourhood - just in case!  When Maxis first launched the scissors, it was deadly.  Then they updated it; now my sims never go near it, not even on freewill.  It used to be much more of a 'fun' object.

Ok I give up  Smiley

I've never downloaded this 'fun pack'

I've visited the sims2 exchange *shudder*.....I can't find it!?

A link would much appreciated, TIA  Smiley

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 January 18, 10:22:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't get it - Swift doesn't want to kill sims; she wants a global hack, which will announce a meassage: "due to 'black death' plague, 60% of the townies died" - thus she will not kill the sims, but will get more place for new ones.

...I could use it too.
sabra
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 January 18, 11:53:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Only marginally on topic, but Swiftgold, you should read Connie Willis' The Doomsday Book if you haven't already. Sci-fi fantasy Black Death, absolutely wonderful.  And I just read a terrific history by James Kelly called The Great Mortality.

Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 January 18, 13:24:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Edgar Allen Po is not good enough?...Smiley
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 January 18, 13:30:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Disasters would be great, mysterious fires, arsons etc, as well as home invasions while you are at work. Mayhem! Just like in real life! Or maybe like in Simcity you could have the mothership come destroy large portions of land after one too many abductions (random of course). But it will never happen, because everyone wants to feel good and play nice nice...
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 January 18, 15:05:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had something like a plauge in my neighbourhood.
My sim caught a "mysterious disease" while making medicine, and spread it to a townie on a community lot.  From there it spread a lot, and after a while it was deadly to leave your home.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
katemonster
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 January 18, 15:33:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I beg for basically this exact thing for this exact reason every time anything tangentially related comes up, but no luck yet. I really just want to make the flu more contagious and much more lethal, set off an epidemic and play with that. Maybe I should just learn how to make hacks.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 January 18, 16:04:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish zombies would spread disease.  Never sick, but always contagous.  But I'm mean.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2006 January 18, 18:15:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I ought to start using the reindeer for speedier deaths.

The reindeer?  Do they kill people, then?  What do they do, butt them to death with their horns? 

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 January 18, 18:19:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The reindeer?  Do they kill people, then?  What do they do, butt them to death with their horns? 

They are very badly wired.  Pet it an you get a bad shock.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

SL Diva or TS2 Drama Queen? Uh...both!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 January 18, 18:40:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok I give up  Smiley

I've never downloaded this 'fun pack'

I've visited the sims2 exchange *shudder*.....I can't find it!?

A link would much appreciated, TIA  Smiley

http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/object_detail.php?asset_id=70&asset_type=object

Snip away!

happy now :-)
Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 January 18, 20:23:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Only marginally on topic, but Swiftgold, you should read Connie Willis' The Doomsday Book if you haven't already. Sci-fi fantasy Black Death, absolutely wonderful.  And I just read a terrific history by James Kelly called The Great Mortality.

Ooh, I'll have to look at those. My newest one is "In the Wake of the Plague" - lots of interesting stuff. Like the Black Death may have been bubonic plague and anthrax at the same time - and if you have an ancestor who survived it, you may be immune to HIV...

Anyway, hmm, there are some ideas... I mean, yeah, the every tenth Sim thing... unless I totally closed my eyes or something, I'd end up lining them up so as to magically avoid certain Sims and, well, plague isn't choosy between your favorites  Cheesy Though I suppose if it was a thing based on a disease, you could give certain ones immunity if you just -had- to, and then the NPCs would be immune too which would prevent more useless respawning. I don't have any townies except a few I made myself.

I have the scissors, too, but I've never seen them use them by themselves, they just kinda lay there.

I had an epidemic of the flu going around in my neighborhood for a while because I couldn't be bothered to keep visitors away and play each house till everyone was cured. A couple Sims did drop dead because they'd been visitors everywhere, and a couple were pleaded back and the other's mother failed to rescue him. He's my zombie now and I'm gonna cowplant him soon because he's depressing. Otherwise I just haven't had any random deaths, and I've tried - I've sent low Mechanial Sims to fix washers and trash compactors - a few shocks, but no deaths. The satellite is really rare and making them go cloud-watch is like selecting them to die, too.

I guess I just wish for random, out of my hands deaths, otherwise I may as well just kill all the more boring Sims in a mundane way and pretend I didn't choose Undecided
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 January 18, 21:21:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I was reading the prima guide ( I know I know) section that dealt with electrocution.  Basically it said that if your sims gets shocked he will die if his needs are low.  If his needs are high, he will survive.  So that's one way to do it, but that kind of death is more of an execution type death than a plague.

I've never had a sim die on me from disease (apart from the mysterious choking death) so I'm not sure under which conditions they die.  I'm assuming it's being sick and having low needs, especially comfort.  That's why I suggested making them sick and food poisonned and them let act on their own.  When my sims are sick I am always ordering them to bed, to relax or sleep. But who knows what they would do left to their own devices.   Play pinball till they drop dead?

I'm curious as to what would happen.  Not curious enough to kill off my sims though.
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2006 January 18, 21:37:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My Angela Pleasant in fact died last night due to being shocked while fixing the trash compactor. She actually got shocked twice in one day, and the first time her husband, Komei, successfully pleaded for her death. The second time, I queued up for him to plead for her death but somehow it dropped out of the queue, and Grimmy wisked her away. But no matter what happens, I always save.  Wink

The way I'd like to see something like a neighborhood apocalypse is to have a contagious disease that actually is lethal. I have tried a few times to see if a Sim could die of disease but despite my best efforts I always get the "So-and so iis healthy again!" message the moment they hit the bed for 5 minutes. Has anyone here ever had a Sim actually die of disease while playing the lot? I imagine some sort of hack to make anyone who contracts the Mysterious Disease (very contagious in my 'hood) have a 10% chance of death would be just the thing...

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 January 18, 21:42:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Disasters would be great, mysterious fires, arsons etc, as well as home invasions while you are at work. Mayhem! Just like in real life! Or maybe like in Simcity you could have the mothership come destroy large portions of land after one too many abductions (random of course). But it will never happen, because everyone wants to feel good and play nice nice...

I would also like something like this. I wouldn't want the "disaster" to start randomly but to be something I triggered. But once I triggered it, then it would be random in which lots and/or sims that were effected. Kind of like with vampires - if you don't have the grand vampire bite someone, you don't get any more vampires in your hood. But once you "let the genie out of the bottle" then the spreading is out of your hands.
Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 January 18, 21:57:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My Angela Pleasant in fact died last night due to being shocked while fixing the trash compactor. She actually got shocked twice in one day, and the first time her husband, Komei, successfully pleaded for her death. The second time, I queued up for him to plead for her death but somehow it dropped out of the queue, and Grimmy wisked her away. But no matter what happens, I always save.  Wink

The way I'd like to see something like a neighborhood apocalypse is to have a contagious disease that actually is lethal. I have tried a few times to see if a Sim could die of disease but despite my best efforts I always get the "So-and so iis healthy again!" message the moment they hit the bed for 5 minutes. Has anyone here ever had a Sim actually die of disease while playing the lot? I imagine some sort of hack to make anyone who contracts the Mysterious Disease (very contagious in my 'hood) have a 10% chance of death would be just the thing...

I haven't had any actually die of the disease after they get it when I'm playing their lot, though I've had two die as visitors on other lots and one die after I returned to the house. I have a lot of families and try not to play one too often so the Sims had the disease for a long time as visitors, and visitors' motives can get really low sometimes.

Ah, like the vampires, yes! Something that supposedly also stops after a certain percentage, too, because although I want to cull the herd, I -would- like to play with the ones that are left. *grin*
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 January 18, 22:19:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think that would be neat, too- and I thought they had to be drunk to dies from the scissors? At any rate, drinking seems to speed the process- maybe throwing a big party with a lot of toasting and a well paid bartender (a wedding party? anniversary? haha!), plus all the sims and lots of scissors just lying around...

is it possible to die on a community lot?

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: