More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 14:08:36

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  HACK RATING SYSTEM
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: HACK RATING SYSTEM  (Read 127935 times)
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: HACK RATING SYSTEM
« Reply #50 on: 2006 January 17, 15:22:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think we have any kind of public alert system here in the UK.

I think we do in Norway, but it's called something like Alfa, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, no fancy colours or anything.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
tunaisafish
Axe Murderer
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2006 January 17, 18:53:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hairfish: lol Smiley
You could be right.  A quick google found that the costume got its' name from the atoll.

Gwill:
I found out why we don't have one here in the UK, our Govt. doesn't want to scare us.  The conclusion of
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200102/cmselect/cmdfence/518-ii/2013002.htm
The fact that Blair was soon up for re-election and campaigning that the UK was so much safer has absolutely nothing to do with it.
I don't recall buses and trains blowing up (without warning) in my neighbourhood in the decades preceding.

vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2006 January 17, 22:05:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't green and blue need to be swapped to correspond with the color spectrum, or am I just crazy?

I guess because green is a more neutral color...

Obviously none of the people who designed this system had ever heard of the phrase "blue and green should never be seen without something in between" or a variation "blue and green should never be seen except in the washing machine".  If they had, they would have realised that by putting blue and green together they were creating a massive faux pas.  I can't really get worried or worked up over a scale that ignores basic fashion lol.

Seriously though, maybe blue is the next stage up because the sea can become turbulent?
Syera
Exasperating Eyesore

A well-stocked toolkit can fix anything...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: 2006 January 17, 23:29:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Blue and green can look perfectly fine together, next to each other, providing they're done right.  Also, I've seen more color-wheel compliant color disasters than I can shake a stick at.  Brick red and bright blue just don't go together.

To be fair, the only way they could create a totally non-offensive color alert system would be to do the entire thing in shades of gray, ranging from black to white.  You know, like "Medium Gray Alert!" and "Dark Gray Alert!"  Or "Black Alert" in those really dire situations, like when your brain's been smattered against your carpet courtesy of the latest A-bomb to stop by your house.

The BogSims Institute - We've been updating these days...
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2006 January 17, 23:52:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Blue and green can look perfectly fine together, next to each other, providing they're done right.  Also, I've seen more color-wheel compliant color disasters than I can shake a stick at.  Brick red and bright blue just don't go together.

To be fair, the only way they could create a totally non-offensive color alert system would be to do the entire thing in shades of gray, ranging from black to white.  You know, like "Medium Gray Alert!" and "Dark Gray Alert!"  Or "Black Alert" in those really dire situations, like when your brain's been smattered against your carpet courtesy of the latest A-bomb to stop by your house.

I don't think it's necessarily an issue of offensive colors but that if this system is supposed to be effective, one should be able to tell the alert status and for many people with colorblindness, they wouldn't be able to distinguish between the green and the blue.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2006 January 18, 03:30:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Obviously none of the people who designed this system had ever heard of the phrase "blue and green should never be seen without something in between"

To me, this sounds much more like heraldry than fashion sense. In heraldry one doesn't put a color next to a color because they blend together at a distance and make recognition harder (makes sense for an alert system too, I suppose, except the next bit) - one would put a "metal" or something to divide the colors (furs debateable, tinctures frowned upon) on top and metals should really be the metal and shiny.

Hark the Herald Alfgar Screams
Tune of Hark the Herald Angels Sing

Hark the Herald Alfgar screams
don't use blues on top of greens.
Or and Argent that's all right
metals and tinctures do not fight.
Use a bend, no highland plaids
keep it simple please my lads.
Azure, vert, purpure, and gules
must follow all my herald's rules.
Hark the Herald Alfgar screams
don't use blues on top of greens.

Unsouper
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2006 January 18, 03:36:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think it's necessarily an issue of offensive colors but that if this system is supposed to be effective, one should be able to tell the alert status and for many people with colorblindness, they wouldn't be able to distinguish between the green and the blue.
Except the system ISN'T supposed to be effective. And that's why we're mocking it by parodying it on MATY.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2006 January 18, 09:00:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gwill! I never realized I had a fellow Norwegian on the board! Cool!
I am from Stavanger.

I bet your name is Ingvild?

INTJ
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2006 January 18, 14:29:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I bet your name is Ingvild?

I wish.  It's a lot more Viking than that.  But too uncommon to reveal.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2006 January 18, 16:49:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Scibirg is norwegian also...my grandfather's family all second generation Norwegian immigrants.  Any Testmans left there or heard of that name?

Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2006 January 19, 10:23:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't really get worried or worked up over a scale that ignores basic fashion lol.

Just thank the gods that they didn't use blue with brown. That will never be acceptable. Hmph.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2006 January 19, 14:18:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just thank the gods that they didn't use blue with brown. That will never be acceptable. Hmph.

Brown allert! Brown alert!
I'd run like hell!  Wink

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Syera
Exasperating Eyesore

A well-stocked toolkit can fix anything...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: 2006 January 19, 16:08:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't remember what it's for, but Wal-Mart has a brown alert for something or other.

In my book, brown and blue can work together perfectly fine, providing they're done right.  It's not so much the colors themselves as the shade of the colors, really.

The BogSims Institute - We've been updating these days...
Viscountess
Batelle
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2006 January 19, 16:39:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't remember what it's for, but Wal-Mart has a brown alert for something or other.

Shootings. 
PlayLives
Irritating Ignoramus

I don't speak Awesome.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2006 January 19, 21:02:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could this system also include an update "notification" of some sort. When a hack has been updated (for whatever reason) it's sometimes hard to figure out if the one I already have is the most resent version or if I have to reinstall it.
I'm in the Software Quality Assurance field so I can't stand to see new Development "releases" without some kind of version number/configuration management system in place.  Lips sealed
(Do I still have my lips?)
« Last Edit: 2006 January 19, 21:57:37 by PlayLives » Logged
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2006 January 19, 21:13:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I completely agree, Playlives.  Too often hacks will get updated with nothing said from the creator (Pescado  Lips sealed), and it is a pain in the ass to go check all his hacks to make sure they haven't been updated.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2006 January 20, 00:55:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I try to post an update notice for major changes, but remember, time I spend writing update notices is less time spent working on stuff.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
simmiecal
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2006 January 20, 01:06:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I try to post an update notice for major changes, but remember, time I spend writing update notices is less time spent working on stuff.

I think putting the version date in the subject line (like you've been doing recently) is helpful. A quick scan of the subject lines tells you if something has been updated.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2006 January 20, 01:25:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree, simmiecal.  Also, the ability to sort posts according to date helps, so if I see the date in the subject line has changed, it will be one of the most recent ones near the top.
tunaisafish
Axe Murderer
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2006 January 20, 06:27:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, this is what I use to see what's been udated recently.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/ffs/nl/hacks/?M=D

Shame we can't do the same with 2J and CBoy hacks.

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2006 January 20, 06:51:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I use that too, tunaisafish, when I remember to do it. Wink  Usually when I see one of the other mods has been updated, then I go back and look to see if anything else has been as well.  I discovered the RSS feed from this site through Google Desktop, and it notifies me of new posts even if I'm not subscribed to a thread, so I've seen a few that way as well.
PlayLives
Irritating Ignoramus

I don't speak Awesome.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2006 January 20, 15:21:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

.... Roll Eyes typical Developer/coder...never anytime for documentation

(by the way, I always thought you needed a Secretary)
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2006 January 20, 16:05:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyway, my husband (a truck driver) just informed me that he's been to only one place that actually displays the Terror Alert Scale, and they manufacture fertilizer. Go figger.

Probably a wise thing to do.   Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. Oklahoma City, 1995.
simmiecal
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2006 January 20, 16:48:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyway, my husband (a truck driver) just informed me that he's been to only one place that actually displays the Terror Alert Scale, and they manufacture fertilizer. Go figger.

Probably a wise thing to do.   Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. Oklahoma City, 1995.

And would a silly color coded sign have prevented that?
qvcatullus
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2006 January 20, 19:24:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wouldn't it be sad if something similar did happen, and a silly little sign could have fixed it, but there wasn't one?

The color coding is ridiculous, yes, but reminding ordinary folks to keep an eye out and LET SOMEONE KNOW if anything makes them suspicious is important (if only the government had a way to filter through the crazy foil-hat people who report alien invasions every day). And that's what the sign-posting thing is supposedly about.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: