More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 00:30:07

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  The nicest thing I just found out today (gee I feel stupid)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The nicest thing I just found out today (gee I feel stupid)  (Read 17875 times)
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
The nicest thing I just found out today (gee I feel stupid)
« on: 2005 December 22, 03:01:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, call me slow, dumb, stupid, whatever you want but after more than a year of play I just found out tonight that by double-clicking on a sim house it loads it!  I wasted so much time in the past to clic on the house and clic on the arrow to load it... geee I really feel stupid because I did not knew this... Doh!

I never ever even thought of trying that and actually found out by accident tonight.

How many of you were aware of this? (so I will feel even dumbier  Tongue)

Any other shortcut like that you are aware please share with me.  Doh! Doh! Doh!

Edited to add a few doh's!
« Last Edit: 2005 December 22, 03:14:57 by MissDoh » Logged
Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
Re: The nicest thing I just found out today (gee I feel stupid)
« Reply #1 on: 2005 December 22, 03:06:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't find that out 'til last week, and it was also by accident. It wasn't a house I wanted to load...I guess I'm every bit as stupid as you.

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 December 22, 03:09:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well Miss Doh (approprate nicname you have there don't you?)  Wink

You can count me in as one of the dummies that didn't realise the double clicking trick also.

Besides I like to take the long way around and enjoy the scenery, so there  Tongue

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 December 22, 03:12:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lol, yes a well place Doh! was indeed needed in my introduction post. (I am a huge Simpsons fan so this is why I have this nick in case you wonder)!

Well I kind of feel relieved that I am not the only slow person here....  Tongue
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 December 22, 03:19:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I'm always double clicking on stuff and I feel frustrated when it doesn't work. Wink  Did you know you can double click on the icons in the neighborhood selection screen as well?  It works if you do it fast enough, if you don't, the intro screen will still pop up.  Then you might as well just go ahead and click the play arrow.  Of course, I get into a habit of doing this, and then when I wanted to go to a college town instead, I kick myself because then I have to wait for the neighborhood to load first when I could have skipped that. 

You can double click on a sim's icon in the family panel to center the screen on him/her if they are on the lot.  I get frustrated though because there is a bug that occurs sometimes when the sim is on a different story, and the camera will go to that spot but you still have change stories to the one he/she is actually on.  Right clicking a spot on the floor will also center the camera on that spot.  Right clicking a sim will select him/her.
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 December 22, 03:26:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rainbow thanks for your tips.  I knew about the centering of the Sims and other things like that but was not aware that the double-clicking would work in neighborhood selection too thanks to you my game will load faster now  Grin

I really miss the right clic on a Sim icon in friendship menu when your Sim is on a community lot to locate it, this was such a nice feature added in Sims 1 "Hot date" I wonder how come it is not in Sims 2 yet.

I also have the same problem of shifting floors when I double-clic on a Sim icon, I am not sure yet but I think it is ok when I play at speed 1 but not when the speed is higher than that.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 December 22, 03:28:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really miss the right clic on a Sim icon in friendship menu when your Sim is on a community lot to locate it, this was such a nice feature added in Sims 1 "Hot date" I wonder how come it is not in Sims 2 yet.
I do too.  In fact, I keep trying to click on it subconsciously in hopes that maybe it will somehow start working!
yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 December 22, 05:13:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't know about that either.  My daughter showed me last week that hitting the space bar also stops the neighborhood flyby movie. That I was glad to know.
Zandi
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 December 22, 10:18:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you think you're stupid for not knowing that then I know some braindead simmers!
My poor sister had not a clue how to create her own neighborhood till 2 weeks ago.
My upstairs neighbor just came to realize that TheGoths aren't the only Sims fron the origional game in S2.
my co worker just discovered she can have sims "grow up" the day before their birthday with out having to get a cake.
My Brother inlaw was recently had those "weird fancy grave stones" explained to him by a 12 yearold.
And my mother inlaw just found out how to use elixer of life to keep her sims alive longer rather than end up sending them to a premature grave.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2005 December 22, 10:19:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't know that MissDoh! Grin

Thanks-this is great *giggles*

tunaisafish
Axe Murderer
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 December 22, 12:46:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't know about that either.  My daughter showed me last week that hitting the space bar also stops the neighborhood flyby movie. That I was glad to know.
I don't know if it's common knowledge but you can get rid of the flyby's altogether by adding this line to your userStartup.cheat

# Value found in a debug file
boolprop CameraNeighborhoodFlythroughEnabled false

There were other values in the debug file that I could not find menu items for but that was the only one that looked interesting to me.

If you like that, you may also like getting rid of the startup movies too.
Someone here pointed out this site below. Thanks to whoever that was Smiley
http://www.sims2techguide.net/index.php

Now, if there was only a way to automatically load a neighbourhood at game startup?

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2005 December 22, 13:56:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't know it either.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
clem
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 December 22, 16:09:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do too.  In fact, I keep trying to click on it subconsciously in hopes that maybe it will somehow start working!

Me too, me too! Especially on really big community or downtown lots. I hate it that I can see that a friend is on the lot but I have to zoom way out to find him or her. And I do that automatic right-click first, even though I know that it doesn't work.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 December 22, 16:28:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same here, I keep on clicking, maybe I too subconsciously hope that it magically fixed itself. I miss that feature, it was nice to zoom right in on a sim-friend present on the community lots.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 December 22, 17:37:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you think you're stupid for not knowing that then I know some braindead simmers!
My poor sister had not a clue how to create her own neighborhood till 2 weeks ago.
My upstairs neighbor just came to realize that TheGoths aren't the only Sims fron the origional game in S2.
my co worker just discovered she can have sims "grow up" the day before their birthday with out having to get a cake.
My Brother inlaw was recently had those "weird fancy grave stones" explained to him by a 12 yearold.
And my mother inlaw just found out how to use elixer of life to keep her sims alive longer rather than end up sending them to a premature grave.

Gee The Sims 2 is really a family thing where you live  Wink
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 December 22, 17:42:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seeing all your responses I am glad I posted about it, guess I am not a stupid girl after all.

I even shown Inge something!  Shocked Weepiiii *jumping up and down*  Grin  I am pretty sure Pescado knows about it but would he admit he was not aware of this  Wink
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2005 December 22, 18:14:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

there is a bug that occurs sometimes when the sim is on a different story, and the camera will go to that spot but you still have change stories to the one he/she is actually on. 

Spent flipping ages trying to work out what stories you were on about.  Then I realised you meant STOREYS, as in floors/levels.  Do you tell stories about stories, then?  Would you write a book entitled "The Story of the First Story"?  Now don't tell me that ain't confusing, because it is.  However, "The Story of the First Storey", now that not only makes more sense, it also looks a lot better.  Anyone going to argue this one?!  How about the ghost of Noah Webster?  I'd take him on any time.  I just hope the ghost of Shakespeare has found him and dealt with him.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 December 22, 18:22:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

there is a bug that occurs sometimes when the sim is on a different story, and the camera will go to that spot but you still have change stories to the one he/she is actually on. 

Spent flipping ages trying to work out what stories you were on about.  Then I realised you meant STOREYS, as in floors/levels.  Do you tell stories about stories, then?  Would you write a book entitled "The Story of the First Story"?  Now don't tell me that ain't confusing, because it is.  However, "The Story of the First Storey", now that not only makes more sense, it also looks a lot better.  Anyone going to argue this one?!  How about the ghost of Noah Webster?  I'd take him on any time.  I just hope the ghost of Shakespeare has found him and dealt with him.

Heh, I think that's just one of those differences between UK and US English. I've always spelled it 'story' but I can see where you're coming from on the confusion...
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 December 22, 19:37:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Want it to be even more confusing... I look in an English/French Canadian dictionnary and both storey and strory mention it is related to buildings floors.  Lol...  Seems in Canada we cannot decide which to use...
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 December 22, 21:33:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope, never found it confusing at all.   Grin
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 December 22, 21:43:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am always double clicking as well and have learned lots of odd shortcuts as well.I also learned today that when sims arrive from the family bin  to their new house or Vacant lot they arrive by Taxi.............amazing the features you see  just by getting a new video card LOL Grin

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
Muisie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2005 December 23, 16:41:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Guess what I just found out!  I've always been miffed that you can't queue up calls with a cellphone like you can with a regular phone.  Well, by pure accident I discovered that if a sim owns two cellphones, you can queue up another call while he's already talking.  Genius!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 December 23, 19:50:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's a fun side effect of the way cellphones work. When a sim uses a cellphone, the phone is briefly removed from his inventory while "in use". This has interesting side effects, among which include all of the side effects of thinking he no longer has a cellphone: Inability to queue more cellphone, and the reappearance of "Buy Cellphone" in the unmodified game.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
WoundedImmortal
Asinine Airhead

Never injure what cannot die

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2005 December 23, 23:34:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Guess what I just found out!  I've always been miffed that you can't queue up calls with a cellphone like you can with a regular phone.  Well, by pure accident I discovered that if a sim owns two cellphones, you can queue up another call while he's already talking.  Genius!

Interesting information.  I'll have to try that one.  I have several sims that have only cell-phones.

"Oooh, I just had one of thoes things!  You know!  Like a headache, with pictures!"

"An idea?"

<---Clicky
Zandi
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 December 24, 00:20:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gee The Sims 2 is really a family thing where you live  Wink

Yup, there are 19 simmers total in the family
My 5 kids and myself
My sister and her hubby
my mother in law
my dad
and a bunch of nieces and nephews

And even sicker most of my IRL friends play so my poor lover bug has no excape from people talking about  this "stupid game".
Poor guy.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: