More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 11:35:06

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  A curiosity about some files
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: A curiosity about some files  (Read 4350 times)
Skysect
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
A curiosity about some files
« on: 2017 January 20, 12:51:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi I have EADM/Disk and Origin versions of all expansions and The Sims 3 and my wife has Steam version . (She is only missing one DLC)

The Sims 3: Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
https://steamdb.info/app/223591/info/

So she didn't want to bother with Origin and Origin DRM . Steam way to go for her , I don't want to bother with disks too Cheesy Origin is for me . Luckily retail keys are working on Origin Smiley

And I tried to copy this DLC for her but here are the facts :

Steam version is 1.67 , Origin version is 1.69 .
With that they made some cleanups in files and some cosmetic changes in launcher .
Steam version have /Game/Bin folder under each expansion and stuff files . But now Origin missing those files . EADM/Disk version has same files too but they are different than Steam ones .
Without that folder , expansion seems working under Steam but on Launcher version number seems as 0.0.0.0 .

After I checked all those files I made a conclusion :

TS3SPXX.exe , TS3EPXX.exe , skuversion.txt , Sims3Launcher.exe , Sims3SPXXGDF.dll , Sims3EPXXGDF.dll , GraphicsRules.sgr in each expansion's Game\Bin folder are completely obsolete .
Even Default.ini is unnecessary but it's used by Launcher .

Notes :

I am not speaking about the files under base game folder . Those are still present in 1.67 Steam or 1.67 EADM/Disk version .
Those are only my knowledge . So that's why I decided to ask this on a tech heavy The Sims website . Please help to me . Am I right now ?
Or those files are critical for something ? Also if someone has Steam version of this DLC , could post their Default.ini ?
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
Re: A curiosity about some files
« Reply #1 on: 2017 January 25, 20:16:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, with games installed from DVD, starting some expansions back (I don't remember which one, exactly, but it was fairly early on) the game always ran from TS3W.exe in the base game folder.  So any individual EP exe's were no longer used, even though they were still present (I'm not sure why they continued to be included with expansions that were released after that point.  Anyone?)  I would assume this would be no different for games installed by way of Steam.

Origin is about as popular around here as a surprise colonoscopy, and I don't think Pes ever did get his hands on a copy of patch 1.69.  My guess would be that the Origin version has a different setup because that final patch, which is only available via Origin, allows for the selective disabling of individual expansions.  So it probably mucks around with various other game files as part of that arrangement.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: