More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 00:29:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Barrel Stands (and other weird desires)
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Barrel Stands (and other weird desires)  (Read 47278 times)
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

:P

View Profile
Re: Barrel Stands (and other weird desires)
« Reply #25 on: 2005 August 02, 21:46:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I understand better now, storey being levels in a building. Duh. I think I deserve a nomination for that. In which case I have spelt storey that way.

Although now, I've looked at both words too much and they both look like they're spelt wrong.

A proud thread pirate.
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: 2005 August 02, 21:49:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, well, as they say, "The colour of the neighbourhood is ounly as goud as houw many stoureys the buildings have."  Or something.

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2005 August 02, 21:52:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Haha, not funny Tongue /sarcasm (try working that double negative)

Edited to add sarcasm.

A proud thread pirate.
LK
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: 2005 August 02, 21:53:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I thought it was amusing.

nothingbutsims
« Reply #29 on: 2005 August 03, 00:23:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You two both need to take Spelling 101 again!  It's S-T-O-R-Y (as in building - no E in there either), and when you have more than one floor, you have S-T-O-R-I-E-S.
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2005 August 03, 00:38:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We were talking UK spelling, it's STOREY, and when you have more than one storey it's storeys. Story is a tale, a book.

You people in America are just weird Tongue Smiley

A proud thread pirate.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2005 August 03, 00:39:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You two both need to take Spelling 101 again!  It's S-T-O-R-Y (as in building - no E in there either), and when you have more than one floor, you have S-T-O-R-I-E-S.

:D That was the whole point of the discussion. AncientSim is an avid defender of the british spelling, she even has a wonderful story that's also very funny about this. The Brits spell the building kind storey, and a story is a the bed-time story that you tell your children. Same with colour vs. color, analyze vs. analyse etc.

I learned british english in germany, and even I get confused still. There truly is the english language and then there is the american language (witness brits cracking up when you tell them you have your wallet in your fanny pack, and americans cracking up when told to get the spare tire out of the boot, and what the heck is a lorry?)

G.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2005 August 03, 00:50:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yup yup, although now my brain is frazzled from all the storey discussion and all the versions look spelt wrong.

Don't even get me started on the fanny pack thing...

A proud thread pirate.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2005 August 03, 05:14:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And then there are periods, English speaking women have them once a month, Americans put one at the end of every sentence.
English speakers use rubbers to delete pencil marks, American speakers use them for contraception.  Grin

BTW Just to get back to the original topic, what other weird desires are shown in simpe?!? I'd look if I knew where they were.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Kitiara
Lipless Loser

boolprop IQTestingEnabledTrue

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2005 August 03, 05:22:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am an American, and a woman, and I too have a period every month in addition to the period at the end of this sentence.

I would like to ease the minds of anyone that thinks that I am ignoring them. You are not paranoid.
I am not normal. I have never met a normal person. I disbelieve in such mythical creatures.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2005 August 03, 06:37:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well there you go Kitiara, I've learned something new.  Tongue

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Shivani
Dimwitted Dunce

Efficiency is intelligent laziness.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2005 August 03, 06:43:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Having grown up with an English mum, I was forever getting marked down in school for using British spellings.  Though, I think using the term full stop is a tad cumbersome.

On wierd desires, it's too bad we couldn't have had, in Uni, stair diving as an activity.
Darkstormyeve
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2005 August 03, 06:57:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One thing I found odd when I visited America is that I like tea. I hate coffee. But will drink tea. I have one sugar and milk. That threw the Americans big time. They had no idea what I was talking about. I think cream is our milk. Weird.

I actually was amazed at how different me, as an Australian, was to Americans. I have travelled to Asia heaps and they are definitely different to us. Plus the language barrier too. I never expected that in the US. But I swear, it was like I was speaking an alien language. I found it very hard to communicate with you guys. They couldn't understand what I was saying. And with the whole date format, metric and driving on the wrong side of the road thing, I could never live there.

Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: 2005 August 03, 07:51:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's even different East Coast American/West Coast American.  I am from Idaho, and when I moved to Vermont, I worked in a convenience store people looked at me funny when I asked them if they wanted a "sack." (They prefer "bag").  Also jockey box/glove compartment, take me to the store/bring me to the store (or dentist, or whatever), "purse" and "pocket book."  Also back east they don't know what fry sauce is (!!!!!! I grew up on that crap! All the restaurants have it)!  Also, in New England, They actually serve "McLobster" at McDonald's different times of the year. Also if you say "pop" intstead of "soda" you will get wierd looks.

Someone sucks more than I do.
http://wytchieone.deviantart.com/gallery
nothingbutsims
« Reply #39 on: 2005 August 03, 09:25:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy That was the whole point of the discussion. AncientSim is an avid defender of the british spelling, she even has a wonderful story that's also very funny about this. The Brits spell the building kind storey, and a story is a the bed-time story that you tell your children. Same with colour vs. color, analyze vs. analyse etc.

I learned british english in germany, and even I get confused still. There truly is the english language and then there is the american language (witness brits cracking up when you tell them you have your wallet in your fanny pack, and americans cracking up when told to get the spare tire out of the boot, and what the heck is a lorry?)

G.

Thanks for clearning that up for me.  I was beginning to think no one knew how to spell here Cheesy
LK
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 2005 August 03, 13:45:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't even get me started on the fanny pack thing...

LOL Cheesy

My favorite Northern British word is "plodge."  As in, "We're going to plodge in the ocean."  I learned that from my British tour guide in Spain, and thought that it was the coolest thing I'd ever heard.  Also, a "gazebo" is a "bandstand" in England I learned.

But, "McLobster?"  I would pay actual money to see that.  I've never had lobster, but have heard that it is good, but if McDonald's has anything to do with it, it must suck horribly.

Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2005 August 03, 15:09:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eh? We have gazebos - they're little covered seating type things that you stick at the bottom of the garden for no real reason.

Bandstands are just plain bandstands.

I must really be a Southerner, I've never heard the word plodge before.

A proud thread pirate.
LK
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: 2005 August 03, 15:10:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, well, the guy was from Northern England, so he said people from elsewhere wouldn't understand it.  "Plodge" means, of course, "wade."  And it sounds really cool!

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2005 August 03, 15:14:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My favorite Northern British word is "plodge."  As in, "We're going to plodge in the ocean."  I learned that from my British tour guide in Spain, and thought that it was the coolest thing I'd ever heard.  Also, a "gazebo" is a "bandstand" in England I learned.
A gazebo could certainly be used as a place to hold a band. Gazebos are also ravenous and have been known to attack and eat people.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2005 August 03, 15:18:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well true, I suppose you could put a band in one, but then we would call it a band stand.

Amusing link. Smiley

A proud thread pirate.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2005 August 03, 15:47:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's even different East Coast American/West Coast American.

You don't even have to go across the continent - everything is different from state to state. I had quite a lot of culture shock moving from Oregon to California! The slang was just different enough to confuse me, and the attitudes are completely different. Considering that most states are the size of your average European country, I suppose it's nothing out of the ordinary that the cultures are different, but I wasn't expecting it at all.

(This, by the way, is why it's rather silly to generalise about Americans as if we were all one culture. We really aren't, but the glossed-over, dumbed down media we export can make it seem like that.)

nothingbutsims
« Reply #46 on: 2005 August 03, 15:58:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Exactly - don't the southerners call it a "soda" and the northerners call it "pop"?
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2005 August 03, 16:11:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here we call it a "fizzy drink" Smiley

A proud thread pirate.
LK
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: 2005 August 03, 16:47:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've heard that one. 

And we say "pop" in the Midwest, too.  It's easier in Spain, though, as all you have to say is "I'll have a Coke" and they'll give you one, because that's literally all they have.  That and Sprite.  And that's IT.  And no free refills! 

(How many pops/sodas/soda pops/fizzy drinks/carbonated beverages do you have in England?  And do you have free refills?  Because they're really what freedom is all about.)

Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2005 August 03, 16:51:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We have several hundred million [/exaggeration] different types of fizzy drink - including Coke and Sprite. Free refills? As if. I've never seen that be the case anyway.

A proud thread pirate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: