More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 09:31:05

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Hard drive speed
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Hard drive speed  (Read 5372 times)
Iolanthe
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
Hard drive speed
« on: 2015 January 10, 05:10:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I need to replace my hard drive, because I'm getting BSODs and messages that tell me it's about to fail.

Unfortunately, I have to play Sims on a laptop because I am constantly travelling. For reference, my processor is an Intel i7 running at 2.5 GHz, and I have 8gb of RAM (not that the game can use it). Unfortunately, I only have Intel HD Integrated Graphics, but I seem to be getting away with it with the game on low settings.

The computer repairman I called said that a faster drive (which is what I had) will wear out sooner. What I had was a terabyte drive that ran at 7200 - my game ran extraordinarily well considering with all expansions and quite a lot of custom content. I'm considering replacing this drive with one that runs at 5400. I can't quite afford a solid state drive at the moment.

Basically, I have two questions. 1) Should I get the drive that runs at 7200 or the one that runs at 5400? And 2) could playing the Sims 3 have worn out my old drive prematurely?
Cyberdodo
FURRY!
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: Hard drive speed
« Reply #1 on: 2015 January 12, 19:59:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you'd be fine with the 5400rpm drive.  You may notice longer loading times, but nothing extreme.  On the plus side, the 5400rpm drive will be cheaper and more likely to be durable, which I consider more important than speed in a traveling laptop.

Which brings me to your second question. No, The Sims 3 doesn't put more wear on a hard drive than any other similarly sized application.  The rigors of frequent travel are the more likely cause of your drive's premature demise.

Slap a man silly with a fish, and he'll smell like fish for a day.
Teach a man to fish, and he'll go to the bait & tackle store, and stop bothering you.
Iolanthe
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
Re: Hard drive speed
« Reply #2 on: 2015 January 14, 17:50:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I appreciate the advice. I'll try with the slower drive for now and see how it goes.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: