More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 12:57:51

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  TSR now a free site
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TSR now a free site  (Read 12166 times)
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
TSR now a free site
« on: 2013 October 24, 06:55:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As from today, TSR content is all free.  They decided their advertising covers their costs.

Hmm their version 9 was  broken and it looks like they rolled back to 8.  Dunno if this will delay the "going free" or what, cos what you can do is very bound up with what the interface allows.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Baron
uknortherner
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: TSR now a free site
« Reply #1 on: 2013 October 24, 09:03:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Still wouldn't touch it with a 100ft pole. Never forgive, never forget.

INTJ (44/12/38/67).
"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business." -EA CFO Blake Jorgensen
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2013 October 24, 09:23:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They fixed the front end now, wfm.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Klinn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013 October 24, 14:28:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apparently not exactly free, according to some emails received by a current subscriber and posted in another forum. A couple of choice bits:

"We now sell our ad space direct to advertisers allowing us to negotiate better rates and sponsorship deals. The new version of the site includes more ads than we currently show and this increased exposure is what will pay for the site and our Premium Content in future."

"With Version 9 we are introducing a VIP Member status which again allows users to browse the site without Ads and to use the extra powerful features but for a new, low rate of just $2.99 per month."

Possible translation: we will make using our site a living hell unless you pay us 3 bucks a month.

(Source post here: http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php?/topic/7816-the-sims-resource/)
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2013 October 24, 14:39:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lol a lot of sites do that, but anyway it's still come out of the definition of a paysite.

jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013 October 24, 19:10:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like a challenge for my Ad Blockers.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013 October 24, 19:48:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I couldn't get the 'wait for 5 seconds, hit download button' to work in Furry Fox, even with javascript enabled. (I do use an ad blocker.) I had to use IE. It was quite interesting, I don't think I've ever seen ads on the internet before. The new format of the TSR page allows ads to be interspersed with the downloads, quite cunning. The ads had no trouble downloading, but the site was slower than a wet week and most of the download images failed to load. I'll try again in a couple of weeks when the excitement has died down.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
daisylee
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013 October 25, 04:40:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just downloaded a few sets I have wanted and had no problems. I went straight to the artist's things and was able to download them right away.

Good news. I think they really had no choice if they wanted to survive, and I think as you said Inge, it was needed to mend fences with EA a bit.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013 October 25, 07:23:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It all worked fine tonight, so I'm assuming the site was just overloaded last time.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Rubyelf
Feckless Fool

Fiddlesticks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013 October 25, 09:21:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seems adblocker works really well, site was running fine. However I doubt I will download anything from there...it all seemed so shiny and perfect without enough texture.

High Distinctions for Forensic Analytical Science? CHECK! Honours? CHECK! Scholarship for PHD after completing my Majors? CHECK!
YouWereAdopted
Corpulent Cretin

Can you jezzer in my mouth please

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013 October 26, 01:23:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Even their shiniest shit is still a low quality 8-bit turd to me.

jezzer and I role play ferbies when we're feeling frisky
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: