More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 13:23:10

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Anybody else using Ubuntu?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Anybody else using Ubuntu?  (Read 4280 times)
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
Anybody else using Ubuntu?
« on: 2005 December 10, 11:22:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After playing around for a few weeks with my box (i.e. fixing stuff) I've got everything back working the way I like. Smiley

Actually, it's been a real test of my patience getting all the weird hardware I like to use to work. Thankfully, the only thing I have that doesn't work well with Linux is my WinTV USB card (which requires a kernel recompile, don't ask Tongue).

I very much prefer the way this system works to Wind'ohs! but sadly Sims 2 will not yet function (they don't even have an entry in the Wine App DB yet). Given the way EA operates, it seems highly unlikely they will do an official Linux version, so I'll just have to wait for support in Wine.  Grin

SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
Re: Anybody else using Ubuntu?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 December 10, 12:48:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually it can work with Ubuntu.
You need to use the latest version of VMWare and enable 3Dsupport for Linux on your machine first.
A friend of mine at work did it and it worked although not all that great graphicswise.

INTJ
Hobbsee
Scrawny Pencil Neck
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 December 12, 11:56:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you might want to hope that it starts to work in cedega - not sure what the latest on that is, but i think the installer semi-runs, and the game doesnt run.

My laptop is a tripple boot machine, windows XP (not connected to the internet, games only - runs so much better with all the needless services removed!), kubuntu breezy, and a development release of kubuntu as well - quite interesting, really!
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 December 13, 00:26:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the game actually runs on VMWare but it is slow and choppy...
Hopefully there will be better 3d support in later versions.

INTJ
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 December 13, 01:21:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought about going dual-boot, but I prefer to run everything in one system. One of the things I hate about Wind'ohs! is how unstable it is. I can keep ubuntu running for weeks without needing to restart.

SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 December 13, 05:24:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have run dual-boot before and it was no problem as long as you set it up to automatically boot your mostly used OS...because you can be sure that you forget to choose which one you want most of the time.  Cheesy I don't have room for it on my current pc, my sims2 download folder takes up so mych room.  Embarrassed

But as soon as VMWare fully supports the sims Windoze is out of here!

INTJ
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: