More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 09:46:06

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  What's the best way to handle memories?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What's the best way to handle memories?  (Read 20682 times)
Baronetess
snowyrat
Asinine Airhead

Save the kittun!

View Profile
What's the best way to handle memories?
« on: 2013 March 24, 17:17:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did the search, but couldn't find answer to this question.

- Are the memories good for anything in Sims3? (I remember vividly Sims2 and tweaking memories with SimPe.)
- Do I lose something, if I turn them completely off through "Options", as I would like to do?
- If I leave them on (with no notifications), will this bloat the heads of my Sims and clutter my game?
- If I delete the already formed memories in the "scrapbook", will the (possible) clutter still stay in some hidden Liber Scriptus?

Edit: I'm running University Life, latest patch and latest AM.

(I apologise for my poor English).
« Last Edit: 2013 March 25, 08:49:03 by snowyrat » Logged
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
Re: What's the best way to handle memories?
« Reply #1 on: 2013 March 25, 06:31:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did the search, but couldn't find answer to this question.

- Are the memories good for anything in Sims3? (I remember vividly Sims2 and tweaking memories with SimPe.)
Not that I've noticed.

Quote from: snowyrat
- Do I lose something, if I turn them completely off through "Options", as I would like to do?
Your mind. That option doesn't actually work properly and you'll need a third party mod to fix it properly.

- If I leave them on (with no notifications), will this bloat the heads of my Sims and clutter my game?
Yes.

- If I delete the already formed memories in the "scrapbook", will the (possible) clutter still stay in some hidden Liber Scriptus?
Don't know - don't think so.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
Shivani
Dimwitted Dunce

Efficiency is intelligent laziness.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013 March 25, 07:46:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your mind. That option doesn't actually work properly and you'll need a third party mod to fix it properly.

To the best of my knowledge you can open options.ini (My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3) and look for this line:
enablememories = 3

Setting it to 3 should disable memories entirely, letting you ignore the in-game settings.  However, please keep in mind that this is for 1.42 and higher.  Prior to 1.42 you would need a third party mod.  It won't hurt to look here for an explanation of some settings (even if you aren't crashing).
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013 March 25, 12:51:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From what I can tell, the only purpose memories serve in TS3 is to give you more touchy-feely crap to share on your wall and Facebook, as if posting that your little imaginary pixel person went to the grocery store isn't a very good reason for your public shunning.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Brand
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013 March 25, 18:51:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Memories incorporate with conversation options.  Per http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Memories :

Memories are usually used as a subject of a conversation, in addition to interests. Recent memories are likely to be the conversation topic and will eventually wear off and not become a topic anymore. Negative memories can be spread by gossip. Sims who have heard a gossip can pass it on to other Sims as well. A topic of the gossip is started by Sims who witness a bad experience, or heard the story itself from other Sims via gossip or chat.
Starwind
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013 March 25, 19:06:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Memories incorporate with conversation options.  Per http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Memories :

Memories are usually used as a subject of a conversation, in addition to interests. Recent memories are likely to be the conversation topic and will eventually wear off and not become a topic anymore. Negative memories can be spread by gossip. Sims who have heard a gossip can pass it on to other Sims as well. A topic of the gossip is started by Sims who witness a bad experience, or heard the story itself from other Sims via gossip or chat.

That is from the wikia concerning TS2 memories. What does that have to do with this topic about TS3 memories?
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013 March 25, 21:37:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TS3 memories are useless. They're mostly just shitty screenshots of supposedly "important" events.

I sing along with elevator music.
Brand
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013 March 27, 04:49:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oops right you are. I saw Generations at the top of the page and didn't realize it wasn't talking about both games.
Turd Ferguson
Blathering Buffoon

Solving mysteries in a van

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013 March 30, 04:14:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Best way to handle memories? Alcohol for me.

In your case, I'm pretty sure you can straight up disable them in the options.

"There's a deep-seated paranoia that Americans have about not being Americans or something." - Billy Joel

"The problem with this country is that old fucks vote. We got shit to do, old folks don't, the only thing they have to do is judge you and vote." - Doug Stanhope
MrsCrumplebottom
Blathering Buffoon

Shadilay!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013 April 15, 15:33:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's pretty well insane that Sims get a memory for the "scrapbook" every time they WooHoo.  First time I can see...but every time?

I turn the notifications off.  They just get that little icon over their head but it doesn't bother me.

I prefer the Sims 2 memory system but that's just me.

REEEEEE!!!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013 April 23, 12:14:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
pepsihamster
Asinine Airhead

Jummy, mhmm!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013 April 23, 19:45:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I only turn the notifications off.  They just get that little icon over their head but it doesn't bother me.

It'll bother your game in a short while. Those yellow little buggers will multiply by the thousands, grow invisible wings in the dead of night and attack you like an aggressive bee swarm when because you least don't expect it.  Shocked Watch out!
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013 April 23, 21:02:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have notifications AND memories off, but I still get memories in my scrapbook. I suspect I have a mod that is overriding the option, but am too lazy to currently find out (I suspect it's one of Twallan's mods, or a patch that broke the options).

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2013 April 23, 22:42:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I put it down to Eaxis crapology that I have them too if I only use the ingame settings - I resort to a mod from MATY  Mod The Sims to just kill the bastards.

This is what I get for trying to hold 2 conversations at once.

Semianon: that was a gentle and polite help you were just then. All those who follow MOAR FIGHT will soon be along to explain why you should have made more of my mistake.
« Last Edit: 2013 April 24, 08:26:06 by Madame Mim » Logged

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013 April 23, 22:53:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I put it down to Eaxis crapology that I have them too if I only use the ingame settings - I resort to a mod from MATY to just kill the bastards.

Clearly I need to SEARCH MOAR.

semianon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2013 April 24, 02:44:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Clearly I need to SEARCH MOAR.

Just because I am feeling unusually helpful today...
http://sims3.modthesims.info/download.php?t=446281
Seacret
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2013 April 24, 11:08:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe my game is just unique but I disabled memories in the options menu and I do indeed get no memories. It's why I never understood that mod from MTS because my game has always worked properly in that respect.
jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2013 April 24, 14:24:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it's the mod I'm thinking about, it didn't just switch memories off, but allowed you to define what should be memorialized, so you would stop getting a memory every time you went to the store or unclogged a toilet, but could still get memories for legitimate milestones, like first kiss, first relationship, first traumatic brain injury (for Tarderdome residents), etc.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2013 April 24, 17:15:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's two options to that mod. One does let you select which memories to make and the other kills all memories. I choose KILL THEM ALL WITH FIRE AND STUFF.

Cyberdodo
FURRY!
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2013 April 26, 17:28:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Twallan's Master Controller has an option to turn off memories as well.

Slap a man silly with a fish, and he'll smell like fish for a day.
Teach a man to fish, and he'll go to the bait & tackle store, and stop bothering you.
tizerist
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2013 April 28, 11:58:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just use Fraps. Nothing can go wrong with that  Undecided
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2013 April 29, 16:15:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just cut it off at the source.  No need for a mod when its right there in the game options.

I just use Fraps. Nothing can go wrong with that  Undecided

Because recording giant .avi files totally helps too.
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2013 April 29, 16:45:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have it set to disabled, but I'm still getting memories. Thus, mod.

MrsCrumplebottom
Blathering Buffoon

Shadilay!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2013 May 13, 15:39:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I went ahead and disabled it as well.  I don't look at that stupid scrapbook.

I've really come to like TS3...I like how you can get your rooms to coordinate without having to download recolors (I am fussy about that), it looks like they addressed some of the issues TS2 players have (such as being able to make a basement without having to mess with terrain levels, and kids aren't perfect little angels).  So far I have the base game (duh), Generations, Seasons, Pets, and 70s 80s 90s stuff.

But while they improved in some areas...other areas are just examples of epic fail.  Memories is a prime example. 

If the graphics were like Sims 2, and if the genetics followed the same rules, and if the memories worked like in TS2...I'd like TS3 a LOT better.  I don't even mind story progression, since my inclination is to play one household (and here I'd thought I'd hate it).

REEEEEE!!!
jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2013 May 14, 15:59:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, those lovely TS2 graphics, when all the sims were crazy-eyed ventriloquist dummies.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: