More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 05:10:50

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Sim Signs via JavaScript
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Sim Signs via JavaScript  (Read 11452 times)
Torkle
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Sim Signs via JavaScript
« on: 2006 June 26, 21:33:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The following web page calculates a sim's zodiac sign based on his or her characteristics via JavaScript:
http://www.io.com/~torkle/simsign.html

If any inaccuracies are discovered, I'd like to know about them.  Feel free to steal the code.

I'm not sure if this belongs in Peasantry or Podium, so feel free to move it wherever.

---
Torkle
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
Re: Sim Signs via JavaScript
« Reply #1 on: 2006 June 26, 23:15:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is that their romance skill at the end? (A dumb question, I know, but...)

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
Torkle
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 June 27, 02:55:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the Romance Total is 15 or higher and you are using Pescado's Romance Mod, then the sim in question will not suffer from jealousy.

---
Torkle
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 June 27, 06:30:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just wondering, would it be at all possible to sort of 'lock' the zodiac sign, and then as you're changing personality values, instead of switching to a different sign, it changes one or more of the other personality traits so that it still fits the zodiac sign that you 'locked' down.

I hope that makes sense. Ideally, I would like to try and figure out a way to generate different personality traits that still fit into a specific zodiac sign. This would be cool for twins who have different personalities but the same sign. Just wondering if that was possible. Regardless, thanks for this. I totally found this useful today when I was editing some of my sims personalities. Cheesy

Ste

Torkle
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 June 27, 23:47:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe I understand the request, but I'm afraid that would be beyond the scope of a simple javascript app.

---
Torkle
Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 June 28, 01:20:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well what about an option to show all the different combinations to get a certain zodiac sign?

I know that'd be useful for me...

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
Torkle
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 June 28, 02:32:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, but there are 161,051 different combinations from 0/0/0/0/0 to 10/10/10/10/10.  That's a lot to display on one page.  Even if you limit it to just the ones that add up to 25, there are 8,801 different combinations.  Still a lot to display.

---
Torkle
Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 June 28, 04:09:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then maybe it would be better to explain the calculations that determine which sign is assigned?

ex.
to get Aries: Nice must be > / < / = / between, etc.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 June 28, 04:37:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you use the Lot Debugger, you can frob the sign back to anything you want after setting any personality you want. Maxis sims regularly ignore the archetypes. Why shouldn't you?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 June 28, 09:04:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I kind of like the idea of having the contraint of the 'game rules' - yet having different personalities that fit within those somewhat arbitrary constraints. I know it's a bit silly, but you could easily use tools like the InSim, the Lot Debugger, and even SimPE to arbitrarily set the zodiac sign to whatever you wish, regardless of the personality traits. That's easy to do. Of course.

But that sort of is beside the point. I would find it more helpful to say, if I was creating sims in CAS as 'twins,' have the ability to set them to the same zodiac sign, but then find very different personalities. Or... even if I were making sims with similar zodiac signs, it would be interesting to me to have different personalities that still fall within the parameters of the game for that zodiac sign.

The thing is... when you're toying with the personality trait points in CAS, you don't really seem to have that much leeway from the base/default values. You can go up one or two or  few, but it also seems to force you into a very similar pattern. What I mean by this is... if say you have the following hypothetical, a Taurus with 5,5,5,6,7. You can switch it up, but you're somewhat forced to keep the last two traits much higher than the first three - that is you might only have something like 3,4,4,7,9 or 4,3,4,7,8. If you try to change one trait even just a little, say making it 5,6,6,7,4 - it suddently becomes a totally different sign.

I would love to see patterns that are somewhat different, say for example, two Taurus sims where one is very neat and one is very sloppy. 10,4,4,6,2 and 0,5,5,8,10 or something like that, and yet they still sort of have the same sign. I know I could easily just set things and then just edit them with one of those tools mentioned above, but that's missing the point. I kind of don't even know what my point really is anyways. Tongue I kinda just want to see what the varied types of personalities I can get that still fall under the same sign.

I think Torkle posted a formula for at least one of these before. At least I think it was Torkle... anyways, would it at all be possible to use your formulas and generate a spreadsheet/csv file with all the possible combinations, and make it available as an archive (.zip or .rar - whatever your preference).

Or if you just posted the formulas for each sign, I suppose I could figure out how to create my own little prog to spit out personality types. Alternatively... maybe you could make a version that, if you give it a zodiac sign, it spits out a randomly generated personality type that fits that sign. Maybe if you add a CAS button, it constains it such that the total of the points must add up to 25 (or whatever the default number of points you can distribute in CAS is).

Just a thought. Usually... when I build sims in CAS, I tend to just use the default values if they are sims that are based on people that I only sort of know (but don't really fully know well their personality and thus can't customize it accordingly) or if they are kind of random sims that I have no specific plan for yet. Even with sims where I do customize them, I still feel sort of trapped or boxed-in in such a way that the tweaks I make still pretty much adhere to the default pattern. As a result, I have clusters of sims that have very similar personalities, which gets pretty boring in-game. Tongue

Ste

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 June 28, 10:33:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The "rule" is basically that each of the "archetype" signs represents a point in 5D space, and for any sim personality, whatever point they happen to be closest to is the one that becomes their "official" sign when you mess with that in CAS.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Torkle
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 June 28, 13:24:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've updated the web page to display the distances to the archetypes after each change.  And yes to Ste - I posted some extreme sign examples quite a few months ago.

And Argon - The zodiac regions aren't neat and tidy hyper-cubes in 5-space that can be described in terms of block coordinates.  They're more spherical due to their derivation, but bump into one another making what might look like bubbles.

---
Torkle
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 June 28, 17:33:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't really think "look like" is a meaningful term for describing 5D hypergeometrical structures.

syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2006 June 28, 18:12:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't really think "look like" is a meaningful term for describing 5D hypergeometrical structures.

What... is your more than awesome brain incapable of visualising 5 dimensional space? Tsk. Tsk. Tongue

Ste

Of course... I can barely wrap my head around 3 dimensional space as it is with my pea sized brain...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: