More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 20:06:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  Facts & Strategery
| | |-+  Converting Late Night apartments to regular houses
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Converting Late Night apartments to regular houses  (Read 21370 times)
Television
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Converting Late Night apartments to regular houses
« on: 2012 December 31, 01:23:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not a builder, I'm not good with building houses or apartments. I'd rather just have my sims in them and maybe take out a wall or two and decorate. However... there's an apartment building in a world called St. Claire that I would like to convert to a house.

I've deleted the trash chute, the wall mailbox, all hidden room markers, and placed a base game mailbox and trash can. After that I still can't touch objects "outside of my unit." So I ctrl+shift clicked on all doors and reset them and unlocked them. Still didn't change anything. It's obvious I'm missing something or a few things, so any help would be appreciated.

Before I edited the lot, I did save it to my bin, in case I did something I couldn't undo. So if I need to place the unedited lot, I will.
kissing_toast
Retarded Reprobate

AIDE to Jezzers

View Profile
Re: Converting Late Night apartments to regular houses
« Reply #1 on: 2012 December 31, 01:36:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What are you talking about? Why not just leave it alone and live there how it is? Same thing.

Cupcakes Taste Like Violence,KT_StoreFix

It's like a bowl of oranges, only one orange, is an orange of DOOM!
Television
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012 December 31, 01:42:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Because it's an industrial building, and I'd rather it be a house than an apartment.
bitterquill
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012 December 31, 02:47:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Use "restrictbuildbuyinbuildings false" to build outside of your apartment unit. You might need to have testingcheats on, but I don't recall if it's actually necessary because I usually have it enabled anyway.

I assume you already tried changing the lot type to community and back after you swapped out all the apartment objects? If that doesn't work, I'd bet you still have a stray room marker or NPC door somewhere.
kissing_toast
Retarded Reprobate

AIDE to Jezzers

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012 December 31, 02:54:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the eyes of the game though, they are the same thing. Your question doesn't make sense. House = Apartment, Apartment = House

Cupcakes Taste Like Violence,KT_StoreFix

It's like a bowl of oranges, only one orange, is an orange of DOOM!
Television
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012 December 31, 03:01:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Use "restrictbuildbuyinbuildings false" to build outside of your apartment unit. You might need to have testingcheats on, but I don't recall if it's actually necessary because I usually have it enabled anyway.

I assume you already tried changing the lot type to community and back after you swapped out all the apartment objects? If that doesn't work, I'd bet you still have a stray room marker or NPC door somewhere.

I will try setting it to a community lot and then switching it back. I've checked over and I don't have a hidden marker anywhere.
And, this may seem like a dumb question, but all the doors are from the base game, so do you set them as NPC? If so, how do you unset them.

In the eyes of the game though, they are the same thing. Your question doesn't make sense. House = Apartment, Apartment = House

I don't care about the eyes of the game. The simple fact of my problem is that I can't extend the apartment to the empty rooms in order to use them. So either way, whether I'm converting it back to a house, or just expanding the apartment by using the empty rooms, it's not working. My question makes perfect sense regarding the issue I'm having.
bitterquill
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012 December 31, 03:21:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you use the cheat I provided, you can do all the building you want while it's still an apartment. You don't need it to be a house for that.

You have to set NPC doors using ctrl-shift-click "Make NPC Door" (with testingcheats on). I've never converted an apartment (for the reasons KT listed, among others), but I assume that you'd have to unset them in a similar manner if you no longer wanted them to function as neighbor doors.

There are a million tutorials for building apartments out there, so you can google them rather than having me rewrite them for you. Most of the details probably work the same way in reverse.
Television
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012 December 31, 03:28:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I appreciate the help. The main reason I had come here for help was because I was only finding how to build apartments while Googling. But that's how I learned to delete the markers by ctrl+shift click.

Thank you! One way or another I'll get this to work.
soozelwoozel
Senator

Success Weasel, School of notovny '11

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013 January 02, 11:05:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Except, playing an apartment does affect the game in other ways. Non-playables can become "stuck" in the non-accessible rooms, causing moar lag. Also, unless you download a fix, apartments have a weird effect on the in-game camera, causing it to be a right pain in the arse for photo-taking etc.

KNOCK KNOCK, JUNIOR\'S HERE
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: