More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 19:51:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Update won't detect Game.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Update won't detect Game.  (Read 7097 times)
LOolyharb
Blathering Buffoon

Psycho sookie.

View Profile
Update won't detect Game.
« on: 2012 December 08, 12:08:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recently had to re-install all the EPs and SPs because of an update that completely broke everything. The thing is, I used a "Complete Collection" batch installation that installed everything up to Showtime for me, because re-installing usually takes a full day. I installed Supernatural over that Complete edition and since Supernatural was the newest EP it overwrote over old files in the base game directory and things worked like a charm and the game launched perfectly with its launcher showing a game version of 1.38. Now I got Seasons DVD but I can't install without updating to 1.42 and the update won't detect an installed version of The Sims 3. It's a registry thing. This is how my registry looks:

My question is, can I manually unpack an update file and overwrite the base game files myself so that the installation can go on? Or can I install a temporary sims 3 base game in another directory and paste over it the other base game folder that came with the collection and have that be updated with the 1.42 super patch and then put it back? At this point I'm ready to do anything but reinstall every single EP one by one. Is there a workaround the update?
LOolyharb
Blathering Buffoon

Psycho sookie.

View Profile
Re: Update won't detect Game.
« Reply #1 on: 2012 December 10, 06:47:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's funny now cause I get how no one would have gone to the trouble of doing all that to avoid re-installing everything. But I wanna let you guys know that it actually worked right down to a fully-working launcher.
I actually didn't unpack the 1.42 super-patch, I just did:
-A clean install of the base game in another directory. What that did is create what I needed in the registry to be able to install things.
-I copy pasted the Sims 3 folder that I wanted to actually update over the one that was just created by the installation of the base game.
-I ran the update and it said it was updating from version 1.00 to 1.42.
-I then copied the Sims 3 folder that just got updated to its original place, where I had installed the complete edition.
-I went to the Registry Editor and changed the directory of the base game .exe file to where the complete edition's .exe is.

Basically, I'm just telling you if all else fails, there is this solution. I just installed a base game on my laptop so that the updates and expansion installations detect an installed version and just.. install.
Hopefully, this may be useful to someone searching the forum one day.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012 December 10, 19:01:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I must admit to being quite impressed.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
kissing_toast
Retarded Reprobate

AIDE to Jezzers

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012 December 10, 19:27:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sorry but I think that sounds like way too much work and sounds like it might end up in a BFBVFS. Where did you find this Sims 3 complete thing at? Sounds fishy, just get the real individual torrents like everyone else and do it the right way, not this shit. Just my opinion.

Cupcakes Taste Like Violence,KT_StoreFix

It's like a bowl of oranges, only one orange, is an orange of DOOM!
LOolyharb
Blathering Buffoon

Psycho sookie.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012 December 13, 18:15:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sorry but I think that sounds like way too much work and sounds like it might end up in a BFBVFS. Where did you find this Sims 3 complete thing at? Sounds fishy, just get the real individual torrents like everyone else and do it the right way, not this shit. Just my opinion.
Well obviously it's an Arr'ed compressed version. I thought I would give it a try after the 1.42 update completely fucked up my installation when it failed and I had to reinstall when I got Seasons.
It's a 3 disk installation. Download 17 torrents? I would never give this that much time especially when even stuff packs are over 1GB.
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012 December 13, 18:23:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just be aware that when it does BBFVFS you won't get any support here for being all non-standard.

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012 December 20, 15:22:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OP lost me after "an update that completely broke everything".  I also would not trust a 3rd party installer of a complete edition.

Tribulatio proxima est
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: