More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 12:29:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Odd behavior on DirectX update
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Odd behavior on DirectX update  (Read 2772 times)
AllenABQ
Feckless Fool

Contemplator of Fuzzy Things

View Profile
Odd behavior on DirectX update
« on: 2006 February 12, 22:30:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just thought I would let others know what I experienced...

Microsoft has recently posted a new update to DirectX 9c (February 2006).  Since I've been having problems with video card crashes after updating my NVidia drivers for a new game, I through maybe the DirectX update might help correct the problem.

The jury is still out, but I noticed some odd behavior in the Sims 2 after the update.

At the Neighborhood Selection screen right after startup, the little window where the flyby movie normally plays for Pleasantview no longer had the flyby movie but the static picture instead (with Mortimer in it).

Upon entering my first Pleasantview lot, the game dialogue pop-up said "Looks like you've installed a new expansion pack! Would you like to active Game Tips?" (I've not installed a new EP nor have I applied the latest NL patch.)  Fortunately, my sims' motive levels were all where they were supposed to be instead of set to max green which usually happens after patching or installing a new EP.

I had to call the repairman, and when he arrived the "Picture in a Picture" window that showed his truck pulling up was black.  I managed to resolve this issue by going into Options and changing that setting from Enabled to Disabled and then back again.  When I quit the lot and replayed it calling the repairman again, the PiP worked fine.

However as I exited the game, I thought I'd check the Neighborhood selector again and it still showed the static picture.

I'll keep an eye on it and report any more changes that seem odd.  I'm using a GeForce FX 5600 AGP 8x card with 256 MB.

P.S. -- This isn't a driver problem.  I installed the NVidia drivers several weeks ago, and have played the game without these problems until I did the DirectX update this afternoon.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Odd behavior on DirectX update
« Reply #1 on: 2006 February 12, 22:36:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds familiar. Any time the game detects a change to the environment (for lack of a better word for OS/directX/drivers/hardware) it will reset some setings, but not all of them. I'd advise to delete My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config\userProps.xml after any such change to make sure TS2 properly reevalutes everything.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Odd behavior on DirectX update
« Reply #2 on: 2006 February 12, 23:01:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's definitely a useful piece of advice!  I for one would never have thought to do that!  Thanks!

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: