More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 08:05:36

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Pirates Unite to Create CC?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Pirates Unite to Create CC?  (Read 20242 times)
holy_grail
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Pirates Unite to Create CC?
« on: 2012 September 16, 12:48:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is probably not the first time someone has said this, but I will nevertheless type this message.

A common characteristic we all share is that we are pirates. Whether it's the booty's shopping list or MATY's store downloads, most of us have crossed over to the ‘dark' side of the internet. I suspect that there are at least thousands of us - yet we have never tried to change the tide.

While talented (and not-so-talented) artists are stuck solely with low-grade Milkshape or Blender, we have the option to upgrade to professional tools such as Maya and 3DS Max. Many steps become automated and it is as easy as drawing lines with a pencil to create meshes. I have played around with the programs and I believe they can create high-quality custom content; under our direction. All we need is to familiarize ourselves with the software. It won't be easy, and I am surprised that no one has done it before (assuming there isn't already a pirate group). Now if we could find more experienced creators to help us...

To get started, I'm just going to link to some key tools:

Here is a thread containing Sims 3 models in .OBJ format.

WesHowe made a plugin to include Maya 2009 into the workflow of Sims 3 modding. You would need CTU or TSR Workshop > MilkShape 1.8.5 beta along with the Serial WesHowe's GEOM plugins > and then Maya 2009 . The only downside is that bones may need to be reassigned. WesHowe claims that using SMD file formats will preserve the bones. I personally could not get Maya to load it without crashing. The SMD import / export requires Steam's SDK.

Bobbuilder45 converted Blender's GEOM plugin to work with 3DS Max 2011. This workflow would be similar to Maya only you would use 3DS Max 2011 instead. At the end of his thread, I believe he uploaded rig files or bones so you wouldn't have to reassign them. I cannot get SMD files to properly show the bones, but can see the Sim. I tried wunderboy SMD importers and exporters to no avail.

A potential game changer is CmarNYC's new meshing toolkit. I haven't reached this stage yet, but I do hope that others expand this idea

"If we all had Maya and the Granny Exporters for it, with the original artist-made files, and a few more instructions and tools that EA used, adding one more animation would be much easier." -WesHowe
I found Granny here, but I'm not sure if it completely works. I hope this post leads to something.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Pirates Unite to Create CC?
« Reply #1 on: 2012 October 01, 03:54:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pirates? What pirates? We have NEVER condoned piracy!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
snabul
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012 October 02, 20:58:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe it is a trap!
Me, I do not even know The Sims...
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012 October 03, 15:49:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A more important question would be, "Why is this random tard standing on a soapbox and yelling for attention?"  Do we know it?  Do we LIKE it?

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012 October 03, 22:40:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A more important question would be, "Why is this random tard standing on a soapbox and yelling for attention?"  Do we know it?  Do we LIKE it?

I was ignoring it.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
holy_grail
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012 October 05, 09:49:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am sorry about this post; I wasn't quite sure how people would respond. I have been wanting to create custom meshes and textures since I received Sims 3, but there isn't a real community for this. Most 'artists' use cheap 3D products such as Blender and Milkshape. The best creations I have seen are produced with Maya, 3DS Max, or GrannyViewer. I figured the only type of users who would actually listen and download the previous programs would be on this forum. Ultimately, I have given up on the idea of forming a team since this method would be far too complicated. Right now, I am learning the basics of creating 3D models in 3DS Max. I still cannot figure out how to break vertices correctly. I should have known to not draw attention to myself. I was obviously in over my head and I apologize for wasting your time... again.  Undecided

On the upside, the links I posted above do work and if you happen to be curious on quality, I listed four links to comparison pictures below. This wasn't meant as a trap, haha. I was just sharing information and technology that should be available to everyone free-of-charge. I do not condone piracy, I simply imply it.

Clothes made in 3DS Max vs Clothes made in TSR Workshop

Shoes made in 3DS Max vs Shoes made in TSR Workshop
« Last Edit: 2012 October 05, 09:58:55 by holy_grail » Logged

Aquilegia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2012 October 05, 12:10:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Holy_grail, I have to burst your bubble and point out that the BIG DIFFERENCE between your item comparison pictures has nothing to do with the programs you think were used. TSR Workshop only puts files together to make a working package. It has no mesh making functionality, no texture painting functionality, all it does is stick together files the creator provides so the game can use and read them. It's like you're comparing a spreadsheet program with a puzzle game and saying the puzzle game is crap because it can't make spreadsheets. Of course it can't, that's not what it's for.

The other big differences in your comparison pictures are the use of 3D details versus painted on, handpainted textures versus photoskinning, and possibly high res and lighting mods versus unmodded picture quality. Those differences are all about techniques and developed skill, not so much about how much the programs they used cost.

Being gung-ho is fun, but running in and lecturing everyone on how to make really good stuff, you know because you've played with the programs!! when you obviously don't have any idea of what you're talking about isn't going to get anyone excited. If you really want more people to make really cool!!! content, how about encouraging people with the amazing skills to write better tutorials? Right now THAT'S the biggest bar to new creators, as the current meshing tutorials are wretched. It would also be something legitimately helpful, whereas your 'Look at me, I found you torrents to GOOD TOOLS now make cool stuff!' is very much not.
holy_grail
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012 October 06, 00:16:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh goodness, I have done it again. I'm sorry for the misunderstandings. I know TSR Workshop and 3D programs are different things; what I meant was combing TSR Workshop with Photoshop to create photo-skinned clothing versus combing the workshop or CTU with 3D programs like Blender or Maya. All of the tutorials on TSR involve changing textures (photoskinning) instead of meshing. Whenever you ask a creator to make a better tutorial, especially in modthesims, they get angry because there apparently are a lot of tutorials already out there. I did say we just needed experienced creators to help because I am completely new to this. While Blender is a very good program, Maya and 3DS Max makes the meshing part faster and easier. The cheap programs are, unfortunately, cheap in quality. It's not really how much they cost, it's more about the advanced tools. I just wanted to help the quote become a reality. I really didn't want to go into the details and sound like I was giving a lecture. The ‘nice' items I linked to were made by Elexis who uses 3DS Max. There really is no point to this thread. I wanted to delete this thread but I have already gone this far. I really was not trying to draw attention to myself like a babbling fool; I honestly thought giving quick links to better programs might help creators. Once again, this is not a lecture and I am not implying that I am experienced. The only thing I made was a crappy dress that didn't have any morphs. I am afraid that my personal feelings of excitement to finally create custom content have overshadowed my original point. I apologize and I'm going to go hang myself now…

jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012 October 07, 13:26:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I understand what you're saying.  In the days of TS1, there were a ton of step-by-step tutorials on how to make custom content.  But, to be fair, cc creation for TS1 was much simpler, due to the fixed camera angles.  TS2 and TS3 involve more complicated 3D meshing.  It is a lot of work, and I imagine not many people have the time and patience to create a completely tardproof 3D meshing tutorial.  Your best bet for creation advice is a place like Simlogical, where they routinely discuss modding and content creation, without the automatic rampant hostility you would find here.  I don't know that anyone is going to jump at the chance to create a tutorial, but you could probably find someone to help you if you're stuck.

Besides, given the shit that's already flooding the download section of every sim site, I shudder to think of every blooming artiste out there being armed with a tutorial.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012 October 07, 17:31:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I imagine not many people have the time and patience to create a completely tardproof 3D meshing tutorial.

Given that most tards can't even follow the most basic of instructions for the simplest tasks, I believe this would be an impossible task, no matter who the creator or writer was.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012 October 07, 17:39:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I imagine not many people have the time and patience to create a completely tardproof 3D meshing tutorial.

Given that most tards can't even follow the most basic of instructions for the simplest tasks, I believe this would be an impossible task, no matter who the creator or writer was.

This. There is no such thing as a tardproof tutorial. If there were, tech support jobs would be a lot less tedious.

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
Grimma
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012 November 04, 18:28:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TSR workshop? Really?

As for the rest, if you make it they'll come, follow your joy and all that. Not sure what exactly you think you'll recruit here.

WARNING:PMs may be published if it contains butthurt or sporking which belong on the boards. And if I feel like it
LurkieMoar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012 November 04, 19:57:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the days of TS1, Maxis was not keen on modders.  It took forever for even the simple Tmog to be created and I can recall the amusement when they grabbed a 3rd-party developer and then trapped him under a non-dislosure agreement.  Modding in those early days was done with a hex editor.  So although the game was simpler, modding was not too easy for most.

I think that the OP is asking for something equivalent to the task of herding cats.  Having said that, I am grateful to them for the link to the granny SDK.  I am so old-fashioned that I had not thought to look for the dratted thing on a p2p system.  I have zero graphic talent but I love having the tools.
holy_grail
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012 November 09, 08:18:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm starting to get better at makeup and accessories; thus I was wondering what your opinions are as to where I should upload them. Should I bother uploading them here on MATY or should I stick to a more tradition site for creators like modthesims? I have definitely ruined the little reputation I have here  Cheesy

jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012 November 09, 14:07:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nobody has a good reputation here.  It's part of the charm.

HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2012 November 09, 15:07:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, jezzer is right. We all suck, some more than others, but we are all stupid and suck here. Post them here if you wish, post them at MTS, or TSR, or some tiny little site no one sees. It doesn't really matter, just share them if you feel like it and don't share if you don't.

If you post them here and they suck though, watch out. Tongue

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2012 November 11, 03:20:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem with making highly idiot-proof, user-friendly meshing tools available to the masses is the same problem we've already seen with TSR Workshop (or better yet, BodyShop.)  You exponentially increase the amount of useless, nonsensical, redundant, and butt-ugly crap dumped on the custom content market.

I used to think it'd be neat if EA released their proprietary tools, until I realized the same would apply and we'd see an endless ocean of combination barbecue/shower/stereo objects, or mods to make your Sim get a promotion by dancing the Macarena naked on the roof of their house.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012 November 11, 14:26:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And furries.  *shudder*  Dear God, the furries.

jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012 November 14, 14:45:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How patronising is this?

Not nearly patronizing enough.

Quote from: Sitard
I'm sorry Ambular, you personally have a lot of respect from me...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Quote from: Tardlights
...but this kind of attitude makes me want to vomit. You don't HAVE to download everything out there, you know. But to remove the possiblity to create things from those who WOULD LIKE TO LEARN is totally idiotic. That's the attitude that says "this guy Einstein isn't good enough to be a patent clerk," or "We don't want a cripple wandering around the halls of Cambridge, being needy and doing slow maths when we have all those HEALTHY and WEALTHY potential professors. Dismiss Hawking." I am SO SICK of people who say "Oh, no, I can't possibly write a tutorial for noobs using the CURRENT version of SimPE or Blender, it would let the plebs into the house."
/rant

Oh, get the fuck over yourself, you blithering idiot.  You are part of the core group of the people we're talking about.

Quote from: Betatard
And I would LOVE a mod to make my Sims dance the Macarena naked on the roof of the house.

That sounds exactly like something you would want, you tasteless hack.

jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2012 November 14, 17:03:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aw, it thinks it's making a point.  How adorable.

Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2012 November 14, 20:37:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem with making highly idiot-proof, user-friendly meshing tools available to the masses is the same problem we've already seen with TSR Workshop (or better yet, BodyShop.)  You exponentially increase the amount of useless, nonsensical, redundant, and butt-ugly crap dumped on the custom content market.

I used to think it'd be neat if EA released their proprietary tools, until I realized the same would apply and we'd see an endless ocean of combination barbecue/shower/stereo objects, or mods to make your Sim get a promotion by dancing the Macarena naked on the roof of their house.

How patronising is this? I'm sorry Ambular, you personally have a lot of respect from me, but this kind of attitude makes me want to vomit. You don't HAVE to download everything out there, you know. But to remove the possiblity to create things from those who WOULD LIKE TO LEARN is totally idiotic. That's the attitude that says "this guy Einstein isn't good enough to be a patent clerk," or "We don't want a cripple wandering around the halls of Cambridge, being needy and doing slow maths when we have all those HEALTHY and WEALTHY potential professors. Dismiss Hawking." I am SO SICK of people who say "Oh, no, I can't possibly write a tutorial for noobs using the CURRENT version of SimPE or Blender, it would let the plebs into the house."
/rant

And I would LOVE a mod to make my Sims dance the Macarena naked on the roof of the house.

No, I just have to spend hours wading through all the crap to find the small percentage that's worth downloading.

You know what, all I ask is that some actual learning, understanding and effort is required.  The trend--not just in Sims modding, it's everywhere--seems to be toward big shiny buttons marked 'Fuck thinking or doing any work, just click here,' and it irks me.  In Sims terms, that kind of simplicity means content that the creator doesn't understand, can't offer support for and won't be able to fix if it breaks.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
MrMugg
Corpulent Cretin

Wanna c a magik trik?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2012 November 14, 20:56:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why would pirates unite and create CC? Sounds like they would all hold hands and sing Kumbaya.
Grimma
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2012 November 16, 05:18:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why would pirates unite and create CC? Sounds like they would all hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

What, pirates can't sing Kumbaya? Kumbaya too good for pirates now?

WARNING:PMs may be published if it contains butthurt or sporking which belong on the boards. And if I feel like it
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: