More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 23, 11:01:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Is Error 12 really a RAM issue?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Is Error 12 really a RAM issue?  (Read 14010 times)
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
Is Error 12 really a RAM issue?
« on: 2012 September 08, 04:28:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I ask because I upgraded my pc so it now has 8 gigs of RAM, in large part because I was sick of getting error 12. And... I'm still getting it. It happens no matter how I go about saving (save, autosave, save as), so of course I lose all progress.

Is there a work around?

INTP.
Jayroo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Is Error 12 really a RAM issue?
« Reply #1 on: 2012 September 08, 05:44:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What is the operating system that you are currently using?
Starler
Senator

Fun for the whole fambly.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012 September 08, 07:26:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Back when I was running XP 32-bit with only two gigs of RAM, the workaround that almost always worked for me was to go on vacation. Changing worlds would allow me to save, and I could also save as soon as I returned home. Assuming you have WA, you might try it.

A 32-bit OS is most likely the source of your problems.

Keeping this here for when Titlights forgets that it doesn't have anything better to do than hang out at MATY.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012 September 08, 13:08:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A 32-bit OS is most likely the source of your problems.

To further clarify, if you're running a 32-bit OS, it can only use around 3 GB of RAM, so any extra RAM you've added is pretty much wasted unless you upgrade to a 64-bit OS.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012 September 08, 16:44:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Damn it! I have a 32 bit OS. And the really stupid part is I knew I needed to move to 64 bit last fall when I first started thinking about upgrading the RAM, and then by the time I could afford it, I'd forgotten that little detail. ::headdesk::

Okay, question for you smart folks. If there a "best way" for me to change operating systems? I just googled it and know I can't upgrade. It's going to take a clean install. I run XP. I'm pretty sure the guy who did my RAM upgrade looked at upgrading me to Win 7 and told me my computer can't run it (which is too bad--I have Win 7 at work and I like it). Does that mean it can't run any 64 bit OS? A googling of XP 64 bit tells me there are several editions. Is there one I should choose?

The pc has an Intel Core 2 6400. The video card is decent, an ATI HD 6850.

INTP.
Jayroo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012 September 08, 17:10:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When you upgrade an OS you would generally want to stay at the same "level".  If you have a home edition stay on that level, etc.  A clean install doesn't mean you'll lose everything if you have multiple hard drives and are smart about it.
isabel_c
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012 September 08, 20:36:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The specifications you've listed are perfectly fine for Windows 7.  The processor is old, but I had Windows 7 on a computer with a C2D 6600 with a worse video card and had no problems.  The only possible issue would be hard drive space, but assuming you have a desktop all you need to do is put in another hard drive for the new OS.
Crethox
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012 September 08, 20:50:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well you could first try this:

1) 32-bit Operating Systems
If you have a 32-bit version of Windows, and additional step is required in order for The Sims 3 to use more than 2 GiB of virtual memory. You must have at least 3 GiB of RAM installed in your system before taking these steps.

For Windows Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008
Open the Command Prompt with administrative rights.
Open Start.
Open Programs.
Open Acessories.
Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
Type the following and hit enter:
If you have 3 GiB of RAM installed: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560
If you have 4 GiB of RAM installed: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072
Close the command prompt and restart your computer.

If you have XP, here are the MTS instructions:
Windows XP, Server 2003
Open System Properties.
Right-click on My Computer and select Properties.
Select the Advanced tab.
In the Startup and Recovery area, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog.
In the System Startup area, click Edit to open the Windows boot.ini in Notepad.
Make sure to disable Word Wrap from the Format menu (you do not want a check to appear next to it).
Find the [Operating Systems] section. Each line below this header represents an operating system installed on your computer.
At the end of each line under [Operating Systems] add the following after /fastdetect (or whatever is at the end of the line):
If you have 3 GiB of RAM installed: /3GB /userva=2560
If you have 4 GiB of RAM installed: /3GB

It helped me getting rid of the annoying error 12
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012 September 08, 20:57:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have to have a processor that is capable of running a 64-bit OS as well.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012 September 08, 23:48:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jezzer, do you know whether my Intel Core 2 6400 is capable?

INTP.
Jayroo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012 September 09, 00:52:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jezzer, do you know whether my Intel Core 2 6400 is capable?

Don't bother Jezzer when you can google something in five seconds.
http://ark.intel.com/products/27249/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E6400-%282M-Cache-2_13-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB%29
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012 September 10, 19:36:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good point, although I didn't have a clear idea of how to google that particular question. In any case, thanks to you both for the info, I appreciate it.

ETA: Jayroo, I followed your link, but I'm afraid I'm too ignorant to really understand the information on the page. I can't tell if it's saying my processor can run 64-bit or not. From what I read, the processor isn't the only part that needs to be capable to run 64-bit, anyway. The chipset, BIOS, device drivers, etc., do too, so I don't think I'm near figuring this out anytime soon. I am not well-versed in computers and computer hardware, a weakness I am painfully aware of but don't currently have the time or the resources to remedy. No worries, though, I'll go bug that people on the Anandtech forum with my questions. Smiley
« Last Edit: 2012 September 10, 19:46:08 by phnxflyng » Logged

INTP.
caudex
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012 November 04, 18:16:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Second result after searching "intel core duo 2", then clicking on the "Specifications" tab.

How can you fail to find that?
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012 November 04, 18:25:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Because phnxflyng is a special special (ed) snowflake, is why.

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012 November 05, 03:37:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never pretended anything else.

So, does "architecture" also refer to the chipset, BIOS, device drivers, etc.? Or just the processor? I can't afford to get the pc upgraded to 64-bit at the moment, so I've just got to wait anyway.

INTP.
caudex
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2012 November 05, 13:27:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Architecture = design of processor.

And try TPB store, I heard they have 64-bit Windows 7 for a very good price.
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2012 November 20, 01:05:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not only will a 32bit OS only use about 3Gb of RAM, but Sims 3 is a 32bit application, which means it wont make use of much more than 3Gb of RAM.

In my testing I have found that Sims 3 will become unstable and usually crash at around 3.4Gb of RAM (Same goes for CAW). However, no matter how large your save file actually is, the game itself seems to need around 300Mb free to save the game. If the currently memory usage plus the amount required to save exceeds the 3.4Gb total, then you will get an error code 12. The reason zooming out to map view often helps, is it can reduce the memory usage of the game just enough to allow the game to save.

Unfortunately there is no way around this unless EA release a 64Bit exe for the game or they come up with a better memory management system. CAW could certainly benefit from a 64bit exe, as with all store content installed, it will climb up to its 3.4Gb maximum before even loading a world to edit, which severely limits the use of store and custom content in custom worlds. As time goes on, this problem is only going to get worse.

« Last Edit: 2012 November 20, 08:02:58 by Anach » Logged

HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012 November 20, 16:49:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Correct me if I'm wrong someone (Skadi? Pescado? Buller?), but even though Sims is a 32 bit application, if you're running a 64 bit OS and have more than 4 gigs of ram, each 32 bit program you run can then use up to 4 gigs of ram. So if you've got 8 gigs total, and you are using 2 gigs of ram tied up in Windows 7, and 2 gigs of ram in other applications, that leaves 4 gigs for the sims to use. A 32 bit OS has to share all four gigs of ram, about 500 megs of which are reserved for the video card (I had a great link that explained why a 32 bit os will only use up to 3.5 gigs, but I lost it).

Right now I'm using about 61% of my 8 gigs. 1.8 or so in the sims, 6 tabs in chrome each using between 3 megs and 300 megs of ram, windows media player, aim, mirc, several windows explorer windows, etc, etc.

Upon rereading, this may be what you're trying to say Anach, in which case, never mind. I am full of phail today. Tongue

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2012 November 20, 20:41:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well that is part of what I was getting at, except that it's more like 3.5Gb and I was mostly explaining why the error code happens. I would imagine someone with 2GB of RAM would simply come across the error code more frequently as both Windows and Sims 3 would be fighting for that small amount of memory.

However, what you said was correct, a 64Bit OS can assign all available memory to all running applications, but can only assign approximately 3.5Gb maximum to 32Bit applications. Where as the 32Bit OS wont be able to use anything over that 32Bit limit.

I believe things will get interesting next year, as I expect we'll start to see 64Bit only games, like Battlefield 4. Sims 3 isn't the only game suffering from the 32Bit memory limit; Skyrim has the same problem when heavily modded. 4Gb of RAM just isn't going to cut it anymore. We are starting to see Graphics cards with 3-4Gb also. This means higher detail games, and greater game stability for modders.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: