More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 00:32:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  What exactly is in groups.cache, and why does it break so often?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What exactly is in groups.cache, and why does it break so often?  (Read 6335 times)
Serahs
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
What exactly is in groups.cache, and why does it break so often?
« on: 2012 July 29, 04:51:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to delete groups.cache almost every time I start the game, and it doesn't bother me too much, but I am awfully curious as to what's inside that file and why it doesn't behave nicely.
« Last Edit: 2012 July 29, 06:31:39 by Serahs » Logged
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: What exactly is in groups.cache, and why does it break so often?
« Reply #1 on: 2012 July 29, 13:11:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have to, or do you just delete it because you feel like it, and perhaps falsely attribute everything that goes wrong to it? Because I'll let you in on a secret: I never do that.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Serahs
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012 July 29, 15:01:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I don't delete it, the game dithers about starting for a few minutes before vanishing from Task Manager. Sometimes I get a blank error message. Occasionally it actually loads, but it's easier to just assume it won't.

The problem's persisted after a reinstall and a restart from a vanilla The Sims 2 folder, so presumably it doesn't like my computer or my CC or something? I'm not Awesome enough to know exactly what's going on, only how to fix it.
Tarlia
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012 July 29, 19:47:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have this problem too, along with a whole bunch of other people, but usually only after my amount of CC gets over a certain point. I just assume that Groups.cache contains some sort of references to the CC (among other things, I presume), and starts having problems when it becomes too much.
Serahs
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012 July 29, 20:53:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That would certainly explain why Pescado doesn't have this problem. And why I do...

/nudges eight gig Downloads folder under the bed and out of sight.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012 July 31, 01:04:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You should not be using 8 GBs of CC. The game can only use 2 GBs of RAMz, so 8 GBs of CC plus the amount already in the game will overload the game and cause it to go boom.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: