More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 09:14:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  recommend a graphics card
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: recommend a graphics card  (Read 3919 times)
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
recommend a graphics card
« on: 2012 June 29, 18:40:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi all,
I'm upgrading my RAM and doing a few other things to try and avoid CTDs and errors of various flavors. I also want to upgrade my graphics card. I currently have a Geforce 7950 GT from about 5 years ago. The guy helping me with my upgrades noted it's a PCI express. He also said I have a very good motherboard. Anyway, I was hoping for advice on the best card to get to replace it. No way can I afford anything brand new. It would be nice for the card not to exceed $100. It would be great if you Awesomepeople would recommend a good card for me, as I am clueless and would likely choose poorly on my own.

Thanks in advance.

INTP.
Starler
Senator

Fun for the whole fambly.

View Profile
Re: recommend a graphics card
« Reply #1 on: 2012 June 29, 19:50:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you have a preference between ATI and Nvidia? I'm guessing not, but you never can be sure.

ETA: Anandtech's Holiday 2011 Budget PC guide is probably a good place to start. They recommend AMD/ATI cards as the best bang for your $100 budget.
« Last Edit: 2012 June 29, 19:56:46 by Starler » Logged

Keeping this here for when Titlights forgets that it doesn't have anything better to do than hang out at MATY.
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012 June 29, 20:14:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you have a preference between ATI and Nvidia? I'm guessing not, but you never can be sure.

ETA: Anandtech's Holiday 2011 Budget PC guide is probably a good place to start. They recommend AMD/ATI cards as the best bang for your $100 budget.

Thanks for the response and for the link. As you pointed out, I have no preference. Actually one of the reasons I came here to ask about it was in case there was wisdom about which is better. The guy doing the upgrade asked me which I liked better, and I, of course, have no idea. Making a note of the AMD/ATI recommendation, thanks again.

INTP.
Starler
Senator

Fun for the whole fambly.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012 June 29, 21:48:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nvidia is going to cost you more money than an equivalent AMD card. However, support and built in tools for Nvidia tend to be better in my experience. As a side note, I have no first hand experience with non-Nvidia cards (outside of onboard cards), just in helping friends with theirs.

Keeping this here for when Titlights forgets that it doesn't have anything better to do than hang out at MATY.
virgali
Malodorous Moron

Do you see a midget Hitler?!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012 June 29, 22:17:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Isn't this thread in the wrong section?

Do you need someone to organize your sock drawer?
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012 June 30, 02:49:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Starler, thanks, problem resolved due to your link and advice.

Virgali, yes, sorry, you are right of course. I didn't know where to put it. I figured it was a form of pudding but it probably isn't. Thanks everyone for your patience. Please feel free to spork the hell out of me.

INTP.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012 July 01, 11:35:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My expert opinion is that, Simswise, your card is fine. The only reason to upgrade it at this particular point in time is if you plan to do more than Sims. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless you use Monitors of Unreasonable Size and play on gigantic resolutions, I have not noticed any real performance difference between the computer with the top of the line video card (at least as of two years ago), and a computer with an ancient X1900, a card even older than yours. TS3's performance bottlenecks are all based on its inefficient CPU usage and inability to benefit from multicores.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: