More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 19:09:49

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Poll about Aging: what settings are you using in your game?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Aging?
TS2-style - 6 (9.7%)
Short lifespan - 0 (0%)
Normal lifespan - 20 (32.3%)
Extended/Long lifespan - 23 (37.1%)
Epic lifespan - 13 (21%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Poll about Aging: what settings are you using in your game?  (Read 9701 times)
Pyromaniac
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Poll about Aging: what settings are you using in your game?
« on: 2012 June 26, 22:17:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Made this poll because I was curious about how everyone else played TS3, and because I have no idea how I should play.

On one hand, I enjoy micromanaging my sims, so I dislike it when households age without my input; but on the other, I get bored playing TS2 mode, because then I'm obligated to play EVERY household in order to keep the neighbourhood in sync.

Just wondering how everyone else is doing it.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Re: Poll about Aging: what settings are you using in your game?
« Reply #1 on: 2012 June 26, 23:05:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Doing epic at the moment so I can play with the new things I've not seen yet. Will drop that back to normal and let babbies happen when I've finished.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2012 June 26, 23:10:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I play with a custom long setting. Babies are 2 days, toddlers 5 days, children 9, teens 15, and then something like 40/50 for both the young adult and adult stages. I still want lots of spawn to happen, but also want to have plenty of time to mess around with the careers and what not. Normally once the household has children, I only play rabbithole jobs, that way I don't have to micromanage them + spouse + 3+ children at the same time.

Starler
Senator

Fun for the whole fambly.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012 June 26, 23:17:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I prefer TS-2 style with all age settings on Epic/max length, except for the baby stage, which is 1 day (I don't like changing diapers and being woken up in the middle of the night in real life, much less in a game). Then I mostly rely on cakes to age up when I feel it's appropriate.

Keeping this here for when Titlights forgets that it doesn't have anything better to do than hang out at MATY.
floopyboo
The Biter
Pinheaded Pissant

Back by popular demand!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2012 June 27, 01:55:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Customised lifespan with extra-long teen & extra short adult stage that balances out to a normal lifespan. Did have it set to mirror reality somewhat but found the teen stage too short and the adult/youngadult combo insanely long. Plus all those grandparents (and great grandparents) having babies at the same time as their children & grandchildren was driving me nuts so I dropped the adult stage back to a week and set my hacks up so that there's no tfb close to elderhood and that pretty much squashed the issue entirely.

http://bigbrotherlawndale.deviantart.com/

The awesomest thing on the internet.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012 June 27, 02:55:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rule of 6 Normal or Long is what I use in my game. If you're getting weird age relationships in your game, you should use Rule of 6, which will make the aging stages proportional to their real life versions. Otherwise Creepy Bizarroness is guaranteed.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
floopyboo
The Biter
Pinheaded Pissant

Back by popular demand!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2012 June 27, 12:41:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was using rule of 6, but found that adults kept breeding up until the day they eldered up, leading to the situation of grandkids having babies at the same time as their grandparents. Also the teen lifespan was ridiculously short, leaving them unable to achieve any game fun besides having a mood swing.

YMMV of course, but I found lopping off the majority of the adulthood stage & stitching it onto young adulthood instead minus a week that went directly to teens worked out well for me.

http://bigbrotherlawndale.deviantart.com/

The awesomest thing on the internet.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012 June 27, 17:02:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was using rule of 6, but found that adults kept breeding up until the day they eldered up, leading to the situation of grandkids having babies at the same time as their grandparents.
Yes, this occasionally happens in real life, too. The "Elder" stage in the game starts at the RL equivalent of 60. This matches the real-life values where people have managed to achieve natural pregnancy as old as 54, the last stage of the Adult age.

Also the teen lifespan was ridiculously short, leaving them unable to achieve any game fun besides having a mood swing.
It's the equivalent of 6 years, same as real life. I have heard that if you have one, it will be your longest 6 years ever. Perhaps you are playing with "very short" aging stages.

The Rule of 6 values, as such, are calibrated to be completely and utterly realistic, whereas the original rules are grossly distorted and will produce extremely unnatural relationships eventually, as these distortions magnify themselves over time.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012 June 27, 22:27:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What Pescado said.

I've run a rule of 6 game with a doubled length - ie teenhood is 12 days long.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012 June 28, 02:13:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've run a rule of 6 game with a doubled length - ie teenhood is 12 days long.
There's no need to "double" lengths, you just yank the "Scale" slider from in-game. That what it's for. If you think the aging is too fast, the solution isn't to edit the proportion values, which were chosen to keep ages similar to the way they were in the base game, it's to enlongenate the aging scale.

No, the Rule of 6 is invalid.  The proper way to do it is as follows
So, in other words, you want to arbitrarily introduce non-rule-of-6 values for absolutely no reason, destroying consistency. Yes, you're real clever. This is why you get to be in the Dome, you know.

saltychip
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012 July 15, 22:21:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to extend it, but I guess I got bored because now I'm on normal.  Undecided
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012 July 15, 22:26:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to extend it, but I guess I got bored because now I'm on normal.  Undecided

You and normal do not appear to have any relationship whatsoever.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2012 July 16, 00:23:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I turn aging off completely.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
D_Malachi
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012 July 17, 01:01:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Extended / Long, but customized. Used the Rule of 6 as a base, adjusted the Young Adult through Elder stages to my liking (short Elder, Young Adult longer than Adult), multiplied each length by 7/6 so each new phase starts on the same day of the week as the previous, then doubled it all. Some hint of realistic age lengths, and it's long enough for me develop some form of attachment- like between a human and a small pet- but not so long that their lives turn into a grind.

"You can start by bringing me the head of GOATMOR!"
Monty
Asinine Airhead

I will make them love me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2012 July 17, 11:52:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use a ratio of 1:1:3:4:2 rule of 6, but doubled.

Baby has 6 days, Toddler has 6 days, Child has 12 days, Teens have 36 days, Young adults have 48 days, Adults have 60 days, Elders have 24 days. Roughly lines up with real life rule of 6. Pretty much only doubled it since I like to rotate.
Eeyore
Garrulous Gimp

Beware donkey poo.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2012 July 17, 14:09:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

6/6/12/36/48/60/24 =/= 1/5/6/6/18/24/12

"[M]embers of MATY do not realize how badly they are perceived by society, and that people are secretly mocking them in silence." -- cwurtz
Monty
Asinine Airhead

I will make them love me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2012 July 17, 15:58:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

6/6/12/36/48/60/24 =/= 1/5/6/6/18/24/12

I suck at math.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: